Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Paris and Provence in Sept or Oct

Nov 10th, 2019, 09:58 AM
dac
Original Poster

We are starting to plan a 10-12 day trip to Paris and Provence. We have been to both a few years ago, so ready for a return. Hotels in St. Remy will be Chateau des Aphilles and in Paris Aubusson or Relais Christine.
We will fly to Paris from CA, so I am thinking of heading I to Paris upon arrival. Stay there 4 nights, then take train to Avignon and pick up rental car. Stay in St Remy 4 nights.
does it make sense to take TGV late afternoon from Avignon after dropping off car to CDG and stay in hotel at airport? Is there a hotel (Holiday Inn) right in terminal? Other alternative is to train back to Paris, spend the night, and airport the next day.
i have looked into flying home from Marseilles but is more expensive than direct flight from CDG
home. Also, is mid Sept better than beginning of Oct for trip?
thanks for your help!
Nov 10th, 2019, 11:27 AM

I would check the rates from Nice as well.
We took the TGV to Avignon, spend the night within the walls and took a taxi the next day back to the station to pick up the rental car. Dropped it the day before in Nice and flew out of Nice. LOVED that portion of the trip.

I'm not sure what I'd do if returning to CDG. I'd probably book an early train to Paris and then a late afternoon or evening flight out of CDG. Staying near the airport wouldn't appeal to me. Now that I think about it, my preference would be to have one last night in Paris and then take a taxi or Uber to the airport for my flight. If I'm that close to Paris, I'd want to spend the night IN Paris, not near CDG. Two weeks ago I had a quick overnight in Paris (thanks to Delta) and opted out of their finding me a CDG hotel and went to my favorite hotel in Paris. Only a few hours to enjoy being in Paris, but it was a pure delight!

Edited to add: I would choose late September or early October.

Last edited by starrs; Nov 10th, 2019 at 11:31 AM.
Nov 10th, 2019, 01:35 PM

Last summer we stayed at the Sheraton, located in Terminal 2, the night before our flight. Very convenient! For me, one factor would be your flight's departure time. If in the morning (and especially during the week), would want to be near or at the airport.
Nov 10th, 2019, 02:10 PM

We also live an Calif (San Francisco) and usually fly round trip to France twice a year. We've been doing this since 1999. When flying to France, we usually fly to CDG and then take a TGV to Avignon, Bordeaux, Reims, or Strasbourg from CDG if the TGV schedule is convenient (and we are not starting our trip in/near Paris). If we start our trip in Nice - we fly there. We try to avoid 2 airplane trips on arrival day if we can. We have flown to Bordeaux twice, and about 2 times to Toulouse (of the 40 or so trips we've taken to France). United has 1 non-stop from SFO to CDG every day in the afternoon, and Air France has 2 non-stop flights in the afternoon. This means we can leisurely get to SFO around noon, check in, and then have a gourmet lunch at Mustards Grill at SFO, and have several glasses of wine before taking off.

After 20 years of flying home from France, we decided several years ago to never take 2 flights to get home. It makes for a very long day. We love returning to Paris for a one-nighter before heading home. We especially like returning from Provence where the TGV ends up at the Gare de Lyon in Paris & we can have our last French dinner at the eye-popping Train Bleu at the Gare https://www.le-train-bleu.com/en/ There is a United flight that departs at 9:15 or so, and an Air France about 1 hr later, and another Air France at 3:55. We usually depart France on a Sunday when traffic is light. It is interesting to drive through Paris on a taxi about 6am and watch what happens early morning in the City of Lights. We have never spent the last night at an airport hotel (except when our flight home was cancelled & they put us up at an airport hotel).

Attached is my 35 page Cote d'Azur & Provence itinerary.

Stu Dudley
Attached Files