Search

HELP WITH PARIS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 1998, 04:38 AM
Gerrit

HELP WITH PARIS

This forum is a most wonderful idea -- everyone is soo helpful. We are arriving at <BR>CDG airport at 7am on a Sat. Our hotel is on <BR>thr rue de Rivoli across from Tuileries Gardens. What would be the best way for 4 middle aged (ouch) ladies to get from airport to our hotel? And what should the rate for a taxi be? I guess we would need 2 taxis. Do most of you purchase health travel insurance before you leave the states? If so where do you find it? Thank you so much for all of your help.

Old Oct 18th, 1998, 07:38 AM
mtaylor

<BR>The BEST way for you to travel from CDG is to prearrange through the internet a van service. They will let you know how to contact them when you arrive. Four people with luggage can easily fit and the price is right. This eliminates lugging your luggage to a train and then the hotel. RER was on strike when we arrived in May.

Old Oct 18th, 1998, 12:56 PM
Boots

If you are interested in a van service, KLM runs one from about Porte 26 to the hotel of your choice for 90 FF each. We tipped another 10 FF. The only problem was that we were the last stop of seven, so it took us two hours to get to our hotel However, you may enjoy this "tour" of Paris. No need to reserve in advance. <BR>

Old Oct 18th, 1998, 01:00 PM
Boots

Addendum to the note I just posted. Some taxis will take four people. Taxis are fairly expensive, but if you can find one that takes four, that may be as economical as the van. The RER will cost you about 50 FF each, but you will have to make changes to get to your hotel and if you are not familiar with Paris, that may be difficult. If you want that info, e-mail me. <BR>There are buses that take one downtown, but you would need a taxi from Opéra, the Arc de Triomphe, or wherever the bus goes. <BR>

Old Oct 18th, 1998, 06:50 PM
Dayle

Just returned from France. We took taxis to and from CDG. Three of us with luggage (prearranged through our hotel) was about 279 ff. They charge 10 ff for each person's luggage (included in the above price). Our hotel was also on the Rue di Rivoli (the Clarion St. James Albany). There are very few taxis that will take four people, let alone with luggage. There are van services that will take large groups and we used one from Paris to Orly, but it was expensive. I will check into the name, if you like. <BR>The railroad workers were also striking when we arrived in Paris (10/8) and some Metro lines were closed because of it. Museums were also closed early due to the strike. It did cut down on what we were able to see and was disappointing.

Old Oct 18th, 1998, 08:04 PM
Phyllis

<BR>Hi. We used a shuttle service this summer and recommend it highly. Their website is www.paris-anglo.com/clients/ashuttle. Their e-mail address is [email protected] <BR>Cose was 75ff payable in cash to the driver. Be sure to allow lots of time for the return trip to the airport if you use them as the trip time depends on the number of people to be picked up. Like the experience mentioned above by Boots, we were the first to be picked up but the last to be dropped off as we were leaving from Terminal 2 at CDGand all the other passengers were leaving from Terminal 1. I agree that, while this could be incovenient, it does provide a great free tour of Paris!

Old Oct 19th, 1998, 12:14 PM
greg

We were in Paris this summer and taken the Taxi to CDG. Cost should be about 300ff including all sorts of extra charges (luggages, 4th person). Don't be alarmed when the driver tinkers with the meter to change the rate as the cab approaches the city. The CDG is in higher suburban rate and need to change the rate to the lower city rate. <BR> <BR>4 person in one taxi or not: The cars were smaller. We did NOT find Ford Crown Victoria or London Cabs sized cars in Paris. They were about the size of Mercedez 190, never larger than the Honda Accord. The cabs we found in the city were able to accomodate 4. I felt that the cabs RATHER NOT take 4th person even though they could tack 4th person extra charge. The 4th place was in front seat and were inevitably piled high with all sorts of junks and needed to be cleared. We enouncountered a cab SCAM at Gare d'Nord taking advantage of this misunderstanding. A man claimed Paris taxis did not take 4th person and needed to take two cabs, thus we should use his service to use his larger cabs at 400ff! (for a distance that costed us 80ff.) Luckily we smelled a rat and used ragular cabs with no problem. <BR> <BR>Because of the size of the cars, whether 4 of you can fit comfortably in a small size car with the luggages you plan to take would rule out one taxi option. We were two adults and two kids and we packed light as recommended in this forum as a near unaminous consent.