Help with my day in Capri

Jan 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Help with my day in Capri

FYI- first timers to Italy, usually VERY independent travelers but we (DH and I) couldn't pass up the opportunity to celebrate a friend's 40th birthday on a Med cruise with about 26 other people.

Here are my notes on Capri so far. I always overplan and chuck stuff as necessary due to time limitations. Any insights or recs are appreciated.

Hydrofoil from Naples to Capri early to beat crowds if possible. Buy ticket for hydrofoil return from Capri on arrival so there are no lines or issues getting tix later in the day.

Bus from Marina Grande directly to Anacapri to avoid crowds.
Chair lift to top of Mt. Solara for great views if lines aren't ridiculous.
Possibly walk back to Anacapri from Mt. Solara, 45 minute beautiful walk
Visit Villa San Michelle
Wander Anacapri then head down to Capri Town via Scala Fenicia or public transport.

Hike from Capri Town to Marina Piccola & eat there
OR
Hike from Capri Town up to Grotelle (includes 365 stair steps) & eat at La Grotelle Restaurant.
if time and energy level permits possibly hike from there on to Villa Jovis

No interest in the time consuming Blue Grotto tour
-Ann Marie
Jan 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM

Unless you are planning to set out very early it will probably be lunch time by the time you get down from Mount Solara so why not eat in Anacapri. Much nicer area for lunch than Marina Piccola (IMO). Otherwise I like your plan though you may want to set aside a little time to wander around Capri Town also.
Jan 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM

You will be busy and Villa san Michelle will be a highlight. Take the bus to Marina Piccola to save time and although "the bar at the Piccola Marina" is still there, the beach area has become run down. It is still worth it for great views of the Faraglioni Rocks. Other suggested lunch spots are the Clock Tower restaurant in the main square or the wonderful Da Gemma ( Graham Greene's favourite) near the main square. you are wise in skipping the Blue Grotto as it is a tourist ripoff and Capri has so much more to offer.
Jan 25th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Agree you should take the bus to Marina Piccola. I was there in April and ate practically in the water with hardly anyone else around - magical! And I though the best walk was the Pizzolungo one past the Faraglioni Rocks.
Jan 26th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I've added your comments to my notes. Have any of you taken the convertible taxis on Capri? I'm cheap so I am not likely to do it unless it is a "WOW" kind of thing to do.
Jan 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Took the convertible taxi from the Marina Grande to the main square. They are fun rather than wow and with five of us crammed in it was a bit like being in a movie "If it's Tuesday it must be Capri" The short ride was 20 euros where the funicular is probably just as much fun and a lot cheaper. But hey! how often do you get the chance to visit Capri, unless you live in Naples of course. (Don't forget to try and smuggle a couple of bottles of Limoncello di Capri back onto the ship. It is the best)