Reload this Page >

Help with last minute plans for trip to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:02 PM
mmh

Just booked airfare to Rome for 10 days. Tentative plans include: Rome 1 nt; Train to Naples for 3 days on the Amalfi coast; Train to Florence for 2 nt stay. Rental car for 4 days through Tuscany back to Rome airport. Questions: Is adding Amalfi coast making this trip too packed? What one or two places would be good for seeing alot of Tuscany?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:06 PM
mmh

One other thought about my previous post, Is it possible to stay somewhere in Umbria or Tuscany the night before our flight back to the States. Our flight leaves at 10:10 and we'll have to return our rental car. I don't know what to expect in regards to traffic.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Leslie

Shall I ask the obvious? Why not stay longer in Rome? It's a wonderful city. I like it better than Florence.<BR><BR>Orvieto is a wonderful place worthy of an overnight stay, about an hour north of Rome and a place many have recommended as a last night, returning rental care to FCO on the day for your flight. Other places in Tuscany between Florence and Rome worth seeing include Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano...<BR><BR>Yes, you can see alot of Tuscany in 4 days. I don't know the train route from Naples to Florence but you might consume the better part of a day just getting to Florence so 2 nights in Florence is pretty minimal depending on what you want to see there.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:33 AM
meg

Donald<BR>I think the 10 days sounds too full and I'd recommend staying longer in Rome, missing out the 3 days in Naples/Amalfi coast and concentrating on Tuscany/Umbria. How about 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Florence, then south to Cortona or Perugia or Orvieto (all are within easy reach of the autostrada for that trip bakc to the airport

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Carol

We did a similar trip to yours last year. However, we stayed in Rome 4 nights. There are so many wonderful sights there. We had a difficult time leaving Rome because there was still so much to see. Not nearly enough time. <BR><BR>We also took a train to Naples (about 2 hours) and saw Pompeii and Amalfi and visited with family. I think 3 days in Amalfi should give you a nice taste of the area. <BR><BR>Then we also took the train to Florence which took up most of the day even though we had an early start...the train was almost 2 hours late. So if you're in Florence for just 1 1/2 days, you need to plan your time wisely. <BR><BR>After 3 days, we rented a car and drove through Tuscany. It was wonderful but just 2 days there wasn't enough for us.<BR>You're lucky to have 4 days there.<BR><BR>All in all, we're glad we visited all these places and would do it again. My only change to your schedule would be to give more time to Rome...you won't be sorry.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Carol

We did a similar trip to yours last year. However, we stayed in Rome 4 nights. There are so many wonderful sights there. We had a difficult time leaving Rome because there was still so much to see. Not nearly enough time. <BR><BR>We also took a train to Naples (about 2 hours) and saw Pompeii and Amalfi and visited with family. I think 3 days in Amalfi should give you a nice taste of the area. <BR><BR>Then we also took the train to Florence which took up most of the day even though we had an early start...the train was almost 2 hours late. So if you're in Florence for just 1 1/2 days, you need to plan your time wisely. <BR><BR>After 3 days, we rented a car and drove through Tuscany. It was wonderful but just 2 days there wasn't enough for us.<BR>You're lucky to have 4 days there.<BR><BR>All in all, we're glad we visited all these places and would do it again. My only change to your schedule would be to give more time to Rome...you won't be sorry. As far as Tuscany, we used Siena as a base...another great place to be.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:54 AM
MMH

Thanks for the suggestions. In answer to your question, Rome and Florence are "re-do's" and my husband and I really prefer the countryside to spending time in cities. I know the Amalfi coast is out of the loop for this trip; but, I'm afraid this might be our best chance to see it.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:10 AM
zz-top

If Rome isn't high on your 'to do' list, then why not eliminate that first night's stay? Presume that you arrive in Rome during the morning? Take the train down to Naples in afternoon & spend your first night in Sorrento or one of the other Amalfi coast towns.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:14 AM
dean

I think that your trip has way too much in it. I hate to go anywhere for less than 3 or 4 days and really like to spend a week in a place. I think that you can do 3 palces reasonably in your time frame. I would chose Rome or florence for 4 days, do three days in Sorrento and 4 days in Toscana with a car. Sorrento, Rome and then Toscana would be one way to do it or Sorrento, Toscana Florence. Since you can do a day trip from Toscana countryside into Florence I would do the Rome option.<BR><BR>With 10 days there is just no way to do it all. With your itinerary you will be spending much of your time checking into and out of hotels and transiting from palce to place. Id slow down and enjoy youreself. Our first trip was rushed and our least favorite. Or more recent trips have been slower and much mre fun

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Leslie

MMH-<BR><BR>Since you explained that you've already seen Rome and don't need to do that on this trip, then I think the recommendation that you bypass that first night in Rome and go straight to the Amalfi coast/or Naples, is a good suggestion. It's such a hassle getting into Rome from FCO, for little purpose than to go bed and get up to leave next morning.<BR><BR>That way you could spend your 3 nights there, train to Florence and have 3 nights there, followed by the 4 in Tuscany. Note: this might depend somewhat on the time of year you are going, as I wouldn't go to the Amalfi Coast in winter myself.<BR><BR>I must admit I have never been south of Rome. Did the Rome, Florence, Venice, Tuscany/Umbria thing last year. The reading and discussions on this board, however, make me long to see that area, Pompeii, Capri, etc. So, like you, I'd not skip it on this trip!<BR><BR>As to Tuscany - worthwile places to see include Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano, Lucca, San Gimignano, Montelcino. If you care to go a little farther over to Umbria, then I'd highly recommend Assisi which I found to be fascinating and beautiful. As I mentioned, consider staying your last night in Orivieto. This is technically in Umbria. Also, in Lazio, there is a place called Villa Valerosa, hosted by a lady named Luciana that I would consider. Many recommendations on this board and on www.ricksteves.com...On the rick steves website, check out the Graffitti Wall discussion of "Virgin Hillstowns" for some more inspiration.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Michelle

If you're interested in the Tuscan countryside and wine tasting, a friend of mine in Florence recently started a business giving tours of the Chianti Region, Siena, San Gimignano, and some other places. The tours are intimate and beautiful, and can be custom-planned depending on what you want to see. I'd really recommend Siena and San Gimignano, they're amazing and full of history. The website for the tours is www.TinTtours.com, there's not much information in english on it yet, but you can email him (Emanuele) and inquire about making reservations.<BR>Have fun!!!<BR>~Michelle

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:54 AM
mmh

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I like the idea of staying in Tuscany and taking a day trip into Florence. Is that easily accomplished from many sites in Tuscany? Was considering staying in Gaiole or San Gimignano. Is this more easily done be train or bus? We'll have a car in Tuscany but I hesitate to drive into Florence. Thanks for your help

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 07:39 AM
xxx

No, no no, Michelle. This board has a no-advertising policy, as you well know.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 07:43 AM
carol

Just to be "Devil's advocate" here: I'd skip Rome completely if you've already been there and are not too enthused about huge cities. Though it will be tiring, you can consider heading straight to the train station after you arrive in Rome and go to some place that you might enjoy, like Orvieto (which I have never seen, but I intend to visit some day when my flight is into Rome), or simply take the train straight to Florence. I do enjoy Florence very much, though I hate the air pollution there, and unless you go in winter the crowds can be annoying as well. If you'd like to spend quite a bit of time in Florence but prefer not to be right in town, you might consider staying in either Fiesole or Settignano. (I've never stayed in either, so can't recommend any hotels.) Both are a short ride from the city on public bus that runs frequently. If you've never been to Siena, that should probably been a "must." Some other good towns to stay in might be Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Cortona. Cortona is one of my favorite towns anywhere. It's in eastern Tuscany near the Umbria border. There are lots of places to walk in the countryside around there, interesting Etruscan remains, etc. It's a "real" town, with a normal local culture relatively unaffected by tourism, and every evening lots of local people are out strolling in the street or chatting in the main square (or at least that's how it was in 1997). If you stay there several days, you could take day trips to other towns in both Tuscany and Umbria from there. I just came back for visiting Umbria, and can give you a little info about that region if you'd like.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 08:25 AM
dean

As to your question of San Gim vs Gaiole, Gaiole is far more isolated from southern tuscany. If you are a wine lover, a visit to Montalcino is a must for wine tasting at teh Fortezza Medici (as well as a breathtaking walk on the top of the bastions. Montalcino can be combined easily with Monte Oliveto Maggiore and its fresco cycle by Il Sodoma and Signorelli. You can also hear Gregorian chants.<BR><BR>Cortona is far more east in Toscana and gives great access to Arezzo, Perugia and Assisi but is quite a hike from Siena and Montalcino. As to its real cultre, just a comment. 30% of the population of Cortona is non italian, mostly Brits and Yanks in retirement or second careers. I prefer to stay in Castellina in Chianti as it is a small town, population 2500, with lots of amenities and a great location. Less than 45 minuted from Siena, Florence, San Gimignano; just a td more time to Volterra, Montepulciano and Montalcino and less than 2 hours to Pisa, Grosetto, Massa Maritma, the abbey of san galgano and orvieto.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:01 AM
carol

Dean: That's too bad about Cortona. In Oct. 1997 there were not too many foreigners there at all--much much fewer than in Pienza, for example--and there was a very natural lifestyle. Are the foreigners IN TOWN or have they mainly bought out the rural properties, trying to be like F. Mayes? I wanted to go there again on this trip but couldn't squeeze it in. I would've been disappointed to see it no longer "Italian."

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Sherry

Hi mmh. In my opinion, I would not attempt to stay in Tuscany or Umbria the night before my 10:10 flight out of Rome. Returning the car to FCO is a snap, but you are considering a substantial drive.<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 12:21 PM
mmh

I really hate to waste our last night in Italy staying at the airport in Rome.With a 10:10 flight where else could we stay that would be enjoyable?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:56 PM
ttt

topping--some info on Cortona