Help with last minute itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help with itinerary.Husband and I are flying into Dublin Sept. 17th.We're spending 2 nights at the Westbury than renting a car. How does this sound?(also any b&b info. would help )
-drive to cahir/cashel, spend 1 night
-drive to Killarney, spend 1 night(stay killarney or kemmare)
-drive to Dingle, 2 nights?( the shores b&b info.)
-drive north towards cliffs of moher, we have one last night than fly out of shannon.Where should we stay?Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Hi wogmog:

It's a brief trip but what you are trying to do can be done. In Cahir you could stay in Carrigeen Castle for a very reasonable price. It's gotten some recent but strange attention. It gets mixed reviews. Some poeple love it, while others have hated it. I though Peig was polite and the building is very interesting and worth a stay. I probably wouldn't stay there twice unless I was traveling with someone who wanted to stay there for a first time. My favorite in Cahir is currently closed.

There are quite a few B&Bs in Cashel that get great reviews. I've never stayed there, but you'll get some good suggestions here. I've never spent the night in Killarney, so I can't vouch for any B&Bs there. I've stayed in Kenmare a number of times and I don't have a stellar B&B to suggest. I have stayed in Harbour View and loved it for the spectacular view and the service was fine. I sat next to a pompous American at breakfast so my memories may be slightly skewed because of that.

The Shores is fantastic. Excellent service and excellent view and you'll drown in the showers. Say hi to Annette for me. Her breakfasts are wonderful and though I haven't had her dinners, I have it on good authority that they are great too. Of the 50 B&Bs that I've stayed in, this remains my favorite, easily.

Staying in Bunratty is usually a good choice for your last night. You are close to the airport and there are some nice B&Bs in the area. Bunratty has been described as a B&B village which is pretty accurate, but there are some interesting things to see in the area. I have stayed in Bunratty Lodge and the Park House and can recommend both of them highly. Mary Browne has won awards for her breakfasts and she is a wonderful and attentive hostess. I stayed at Park House last Novemeber and had to catch a very early flight so I didn't get a cooked. The rooms are quite comfortable as are the beds. It's one of the closest to the village.

I hope this helps. Have a great time!

Bill
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:27 AM
ira

topping
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM

You might try the Seashore Guesthouse Farm in Kenmare. Completely breathtaking views and wonderful food- the hostess is a true sweetheart. This is a very well run guesthouse and it does cost more than the regular B&B- it is well worth it, however.

I second the recommendation for the Shores! The house is so elegant and beautifully decorated. We had dinner at Tomasins down the street (the yellow restaurant everyone mentions) and this was probably the best meal we had in our last trip.

Diane
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM

I'm a dorque- didn't even notice the dates of her travel!