Help with itinerary for Lake District

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Help with itinerary for Lake District

My family of four (wife and 2 daughters 13 and 16) are going to Italy for a meeting in Baveno mid June. We have flights reserved round trip through Milan and have 8 nights in Italy. We are trying to decide where to go after the 2-3 nights in Baveno. We have been to Rome and Pompeii but no other parts of Italy. We were trying to incorporate Venice in this trip as I think the kids would find it very interesting and may be a little bored at the lake district. We would also like to hit Florence but I'm not sure there would be enough time for both Florence and Venice. My other question is whether we should take trains or drive. I know the car in Venice would be an issue. Our flight home from Milan is at 10:30am and it doesn't look like a train would get us in early enough to make the flight unless we spent our last night in Milan. I was thinking of leaving Venice by car very early that morning to catch the flight to avoid spending the night in Milan but I'm not sure if that would be feasable.

Thanks for your help.

David
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:07 AM

This June? In a couple of weeks? If so, finding a place to stay on such short notice will be very difficult.

Aside from that, as much as I love Venice, I'd not recommend it under your circumstances. Getting there and back will not be easy. The last night should be spent in a hotel near the airport (not the city of Milan).

I'd suggest you rent a car upon arrival at Malpensa, drive to Baveno, then organize a nice itinerary around The Lakes (the kids will NOT be bored) for the rest of your time. Return the car at Malpensa.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:41 AM

I agree with Tuck but I would also include the Alps in this trip. An easy drive to Luzern is one good idea--spend 3 days there. Then stay at Lake Orta your last nite---see www.orta.net
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. We leave next week and have the hotel reserved in Baveno for the conference (I think the grand dino) After that we are not sure what to do. Is Venice too far to go? I saw a self drive tour that started in the lakes, went through the Italian alps to Venice and returned to Milan. I thought we could spend 2-3 nights at Baveno, 1-2 nights in the Dolomites than 1 night verona, 2 nights venice and than back to milan. Would that be to much movement? What do you do with the car while in Venice?

Thanks for your help.

David
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM

I'm not saying it can't be done - it can. But I am saying that it's much too rushed and problematic given that you have no reservations.

Your agenda might work if you had 10 nights instead of 5.

The drive back to Milan is an unpleasant almost all-day ride. The area around Milan is clogged with slow moving traffic.

You have to park the car and leave it there before you enter Venice.

What's wrong with sticking closer to The Lakes and include the Alps, as Bob suggested?