Reload this Page >

Help with itinerary for Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 06:41 PM
teejay

Planning nine nights in Italy and thinking of the following: <BR> <BR>Venice - 2 nights <BR>Florence - 3 nights <BR>Tuscany - 2 nights <BR>Cinque Terre - 2 nights <BR> <BR>Seem reasonable or too much travel? Like to have plenty of time to sightsee and just hang out. Also, any suggestions on where to stay in the Tuscan countryside or Cinque Terre (like luxury). Thanks

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Art

Your itinerary sounds fine for the time you have. Save Rome for another trip when you can spend 9 or 10 days there. <BR>

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 07:59 PM
van

At first glance I would say consolidate your Florence and Tuscany into 4 nights and devote another to Cinque Terre, especially if you want to hike the coast. We just returned from 16 days and stayed in Siena for 2 nights, with a day trip into Florence. Its an 1.5 hour drive and the road leads directly to parking on the prerimeter, within an easy walk into the city. As nice as Florence is, I preferrred the smaller hill towns. I wish we'd had 1 more day to explore Chianti. Beware of cutting things too closely. One rain storm or heavy traffic (if you're driving) and you'll miss opportunities that a looser time line will let you reschedule. Italy is meant to be walked, except for a few choice driving experiences in Tuscany or Umbria. <BR>Try Antica Torre in Siena. Its not luxury but it has a class of its own. A sunny morning looking out over the rooftops of Siena into the surrounding countryside will rearrange your view of life (although don't bother with the breakfast). Any hotel that suits you in Vernazza (our favorite CT town)will add to your experience. We stayed at the Villa Margherita in Levanto our first 3 nights in Italy and found it a good base for trains into CT, an excellent value, very friendly, and a great introduction to Italy. <BR>We're hooked. Have a great time.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 04:47 AM
elaine

I think as always it depends on how you want to spend your time during the day and what your transportation schedule is. "Two nights" in a place can be really only one full day, or up to almost two days, depending on what time you arrive and depart. I can tell you that checking in and out of hotels and getting from one place to another can eat up a good part of a day under the best of circumstances, unless you are doing your inter-city traveling by night train. Having "plenty of time" to both sightsee as well as relax would be a little doubtful I think, especially in Venice and Florence. The many museums and other wonderful attractions in Florence and the glories of Venice are hard to squeeze into only one or two days in each place, unless you've been there before.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 06:45 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Teejay, Hard to answer well without <BR>where you depart, what time of year, and <BR>if you are driving--it all depends.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Betsy

You could stay 3 nights in a Tuscan town and day trip into Florence easily. I love Siena and it's an easy drive or train ride into Florence. In Vernazza try renting a room and don't miss eating at Costello's, a wonderful restaurant with an unbeatable loction! <BR>

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Laura

Bongiorno, Teejay! My mother and I visited Cinque Terre last March. We took the train from Genova through the most beautiful mountains, but first we stopped and stayed in Santa Margherita. Then we went on to Monterosso and Vernazza. If you're going to see Cinque Terre, you won't want to miss Santa Margherita. Our favorite was a beautifully decorated, luxurious hotel in Santa Margherita called Grand Hotel Mirimare. Well worth the price! As for the entire trip, sounds like you've allowed enough time in each place, but I prefer Rome to Florence. Rome has more to offer. Ciao!