Reload this Page >

Help with Itinerary for First Trip to Croatia

Old May 20th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Traveling to Croatia with family (all adults) in August for 10 days and wanted to run the below itinerary by the experts to make sure it's not too hectic. While we definitely don't want to pack up and leave for a new location every day, we don't want to miss a "must-see" destination either, so day trips are welcome too. I've tried to balance it out in the latter half. Also, please let me know if I should swap out any destinations for a different one or reduce travel times (open to driving and flights).

We are looking for nature, great food/drinks, BEACHES and beach activities (snorkeling, swimming), history/architecture and a bit of nightlife with fun restaurants/bars (not crazy but not dead either). Please suggest any easy to reach/fun cities for day trips from Split and Dubrovnik too.

Thursday, Aug 22 - Zagreb (arrive late afternoon/evening)
Friday, Aug 23 - Zagreb (1/2 day sightseeing and then late evening or night drive to Plitvice and stay the night there to start the park early morning)
Saturday, Aug 24 - Plitvice NP (Full day in park. Spend night in Plitvice or drive to Split)
Sunday, Aug 25 - Split sightseeing
Monday, Aug 26 - Split (maybe Trogir or another day trip if 1 day is enough to see Split)
Tuesday, Aug 27 - Hvar (Afternoon ferry from Split to Hvar)
Wednesday, Aug 28 - Hvar
Thursday, Aug 29 - Hvar (could consider a day trip to another island if recommended)
Friday, Aug 30 - 1/2 day in Hvar or Split (Night flight to Dubrovnik at 7:50 pm (4 hours) OR drive to Dubrovnik )
Saturday, Aug 31 -Dubrovnik
Sunday, Sept 1 - Dubrovnik (maybe a day trip to Peljasec Peninsula if one day is enough to see Dubrovnik or another recommended destination for day trip )
Monday, Sept 2 - Dubrovnik (leave in the afternoon for home)

You help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old May 21st, 2019, 02:27 AM

I think it looks great. I like your slow down approach to it all. Of course it will be quite busy and crowded these days. If you are staying in Hvar Town you might consider staying outside the historic center so you don't get overrun (and so you can park.) There is plenty to see and do on the island (with a car) for two full days, especially if you want to get some good beach time in.

What do you want to do on the Peljesac peninsula? Wine taste? It might be better to hit a couple of wineries on the way down from Split so you are not back tracking. I'd drop the car off when you get to Dubrovnik, anyway.. not going to do you too much good there, its a pain and a half to drive around in that town. There are some nice apartments around Banje beach (easy walking distance to the Old Town too) if you want to be close to a beach.

In Hvar Town my favorite restaurant is Dalmatino.. you must reserve. In Dubrovnik, I really love Taj Mahal though they are so popular now it is getting to be a bit of a pain unless you go to eat at 3pm or some other off time. There is a new, fun restaurant in Dubrovnik called Fat Cats, they are connected with the D'Vino wine bar. D'Vino also runs tours up to the Peljesac peninsula if you decide to take a tour there instead of driving.

Also remember you must now book tickets in advance for Plitvice National Park. In fact for August, reserve everything in advance
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! It was very hard to fit everything in 10 days without going nuts. We were planning on leaving the car after Split and before Hvar since getting it to the island on a ferry is seeming to be expensive and limited in options. Does one definitely need a car in Hvar? Can we do ubers or maybe rent a car once on the island if absolutely necessary? Is it not a walkable city to the beaches? Open to car idea if it must be done. Was definitely going to return it before Dubrovnik and perhaps rent a taxi for the Penjalsec tour if we do that at all. I'm trying to book everything in advance too.
Old May 21st, 2019, 11:55 PM

For sure you can go to Hvar without a car and rent one for a day when you get there. They have taxis but they are a bit expensive. Hvar Town has a couple of little beaches, but more rocks where you can sunbathe and swim from. You can go to a place like Hula Bar and sit in a lounger all day if you want, as long as you purchase an expensive beer here and there.

You can rent your car from Dino. DINO RENT || Hvar, Croatia
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 12:07 AM

Krka National Park is only 1-hour drive from Split so you might want to visit it. It's really beautiful there. Although it can be crowded in August so if you hate crowds, you might want to skip it after all
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 12:39 AM

Brac is an alternative to Hvar, and only takes 50 minutes each way by [hourly] ferry...

https://www.bracinfo.com/

The small ferry terminal is right in the main village [Supetar], and directly opposite the bus station.

Beautiful island.