help with itinerary

Search

help with itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with itinerary

Hello fellow travellers. I've seen many people post their entire itineraries here seeking advice from everyone, and thought perhaps I could also use some help. We are 2 people travelling on somewhat of a budget, 29 & 30 years old. We are leaving Montreal Dec 24 staying 4 nights in Edinburgh, 6 nights in London, returning Jan 4.

Dec 25: 7 hours in paris, edinburgh,
Dec 26: Edinburgh dungeon, Mary king close, holyrood palace, arthur's seat
Dec 27: day trip, train to Inverness arrive noon, Loch Ness, Urquart castle,depart 6:30pm back to Edinburgh, Auld Reekie tour
Dec 28: Edinburgh castle, princes st, calton hill, Leith harbour, Mercat tour
Dec 29: train to London, Harrods, tower bridge, Lloyds of London, millenium bridge, London eye, Big Ben, Trafalgar sq, Piccadilly circ, trocadero
Dec 30: Westminster abbey, st james pk, buckingham palace, west end shopping, brixton (would like to visit this area, how is the shopping)
Dec 31: Tower of London, DLR to Greenwich, Canary wharf, British Museum (maybe) or Tate Modern
Jan 1: little venice, primrose hill, highgate cemetery, hampstead heath
Jan 2: Hyde pk, Camden
Jan 3: day trip, morning train to Cardiff, cardiff castle, caerphilly castle, cardiff bay, back to london and pack

We will be getting a Britrail flexipass, it's convenient. I'm very early but like to be prepared, so train times are approximate. Is a day trip by train from Edinburgh to Inverness possible, or even worth it. It's just that I've always wanted to go to Loch Ness. What about the day trip to Cardiff, we will have about 8 hours there. Suggestions.

I also kept in mind that it is the holidays and some days attractions are closed, etc. Anyone have personal experiences with london walks from walks.com, I am planning to take several of their ghost tours.

Am I squeezing in too much, too little. I have been to London once before, so there is a lot of showing my friend the sights, and I more or less know my way around.

Thank you for listening.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:50 AM

I don't quite understand the 7 hours in Paris reference. Otherwise, your itinerary for Dec. 29 looks wild. You can't possible fit all of that into one day, especially the day you are traveling from Edinburgh. The 31st looks a little busy, too. Why don't you get a map of London and group your sights geographically. For example, you are visiting the Tower Bridge on 29th. You will be at the Tower on the 31st. Visit both at once instead of traveling way across town from Harrods simply to see the bridge. There are lots of other examples where a good map could help you organize your trip. Keep in mind that London will have only about 8 hours of daylight at the time you will be there and plan your itinerary with that in mind. By all means, try to see the British Museum.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:11 AM

First appearances - you have some re-thinking to do.

First of all a Britrail pass may not be the best way to do your trip. After you make some changes you may only be doing Edinburgh/London by train - or maybe one other trip and a Brit Rail Pass is really on useful for those making severl long distance journeys.

I would totally drop the trip to Inverness. At that time of year it will be dark by 3:30 pm up in Inverness and getting to Urquhart will not be time efficient - few if any tours would go there.

If you want a day trip out of Edinburgh think about Stirling for the castle or Glasgow for the shopping. But you will find plenty to fill your time in Edinburgh w/o going anywher else.

Now - your London plans. The train will take about 4.5 hours - but at that time of year there are often delays and stoppages due to weather problems. So you can't plan on being in London before noon. You first day you are going from one side of London to the other and back again. Group sites that are closer together. For instance - why go to Tower Bridge one day and the Tower of London 2 days later? they are right next door to each other.

Cardiff is a fine place to visit - but doing a long day trip immediately before flying out could be pretyy hectic - plus thare is a lot more you could see/do in London w/o going to S Wales.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

I should mention that we plan to do a lot of walking, and a lot of just walking by some sights. Dec 29 we were thinking of taking a jack the ripper walking tour, and then walking our way back to the west end.

Also we will be staying near Paddington in London, and in Edinburgh right next to the royal mile.

Thanks to your advice on the Brit museum I am already thinking of changes. As for 7 hours in paris, we fly Montreal to Paris, then have a layover until our flight to EDI.

Is any sightseeing possible during that time?
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:40 AM

It sounds like a great trip, but you need to keep a few things in mind.
Several of the days you will be there are UK holidays (12/26, 12/31 and 1/1) and many of these attractions are closed. A quick web search revealed that Holyrood Palace is closed on 12/26. So why not do it the day you see the castle? You can start out at Edinburgh castle walk the Royal Mile and shop and end up at the palace.
I agree with the previous post that Inverness is too much - Stirling is beautiful and Glasgow is a blast.
I agree that you have a little too much packed in the day you arrive in London. You will also have to find and check into your hotel. Do a few sites that are closest to your hotel that day.
With all the back and forth you are doing in London, look into getting a tube pass. It is very simple to use and economical for off and on all day.
I also agree that Cardiff is too far. There are other lovely, shorter day trips you can do out of London - I like Canterbury and Oxford.
I also used a Britrail pass for the convenience. I do not know which one you are getting, but one good for consecutive days of train travel may be more economical. Pack all your train travel into consecutive days in the middle of the trip and then use the beginning and the end to relax. We did this last year and it worked well.
Either way, it sounds great. Christmas or New Year's in London is a personal dream of mine.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

If i forego the britrail passes what are my best options for buying tickets. How can I get the best prices if I purchase them once in the UK.

Again, thanks for listening.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:37 AM

I'd cut a day off your London stay. Five days may be seen by many as too much. You could easily swap that one day for a day in South Wales where there is more to do and it won't be as rushed then.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Ok, now we're thinking of Glasgow instead. Any suggestions on the "must see" sights, anything there besides shopping?

Most importantly, does anyone know of any resources where I can find walking tours and ghost tours and the like? Besides Mercat of course, their tours of glasgow have to be booked for a group and we're only 2.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:02 PM

For starters on planning your days in London, check right here on the Fodor's website its three-day itinerary.