Help with Italy Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are spending two weeks in Italy this July. We fly into Rome and out of Zurich so we are going to overnight in Lucerne our last night. Right now our itinerary is as follows:

3 nights in Rome (Westin Excelsior)
2 nights Amalfi Coast
4 nights in Florence (Westin Excelsior)
2 nights in Venice (Westin Regina/Europa)
2 nights in Como
1 night in Lucerne (National Hotel)

We are thinking about skipping Amalfi Coast for an extra night in Rome and Venice and/or the addition of Milan, as we think it seems like a headache to get to Positano and deal with Naples on the way. If we are making a mistake, let us know but it seems like a place to possibly save for another trip (exploring the south of Italy).

We are also thinking about Tuscany and/or Asolo vs. Como. How wonderful is Como?

What are your thoughts on the itinerary, skipping Amalfi, the Palace Hotel vs. the Metropole Suisse in Como, skipping Milan (I have a weakness for fashion but know there's also wonderful shopping in Florence), and any other travel advice on hotels, restaurants, trains, and day trips?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM

I will be staying at the Hotel Metropole Suisse in Como July 8th-11th. I chose it based on Expedia.
I chose the town as a base to do some family tree research. However I would expect there to be some nicer places for a 2 night stay in Bellagio, etc. On the SlowTalk.com site there is a member named Gio59 from the area who will make recommendations. Put Lake Como in the subject.

It's our first trip to Italy (and Europe). We're spending 5 days in Rome, 4 days in Cinque Terre, 4 days in Como, 2 days in Milan.

Cheryl
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM

I really liked Florence, but some people will think 4 nights there is too much. Depending on whether you enjoy mixing in small town life, it may be better to stay in a small town and daytrip into Florence.

It looks like you're probably using Westin rewards points, so maybe you don't want to pay for a different hotel. But there are many lovely places in the countryside to stay, like an agriturismo.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Hello runner, if it was my trip I would forgo the Amalfi Coast this trip and consequently I would add one more night to Rome and one more night to Venice.

Assuming you are flying to Italy from the US you will have some jetleg on arrival. With 3 nights in Rome you will only have 2 days without arriving or departing. And with only 2 nights in Venice you will only have 1 day without arriving or departing, hence my suggestion. The Westin Excelsior in Florence is fantastic! Enjoy.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Hi runner,

Before I finished reading your post, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Going down to the Amalfi Coast isn't quite worth it for just 2 nights. You really would only have 1 full day there.

Take those 2 days, add both to Rome. Take a night from Florence and add it to Venice. Como will be lovely in July.

An alternative would be to skip Como and do 4 nights in the Tuscan countryside, then continue on to Florence for 2 nights.

Save southern Italy for another trip. You'll be back...

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:03 AM
ira

HI R,

>We are thinking about skipping Amalfi Coast for an extra night in Rome and Venice ...

Excellent idea.

Also skip Milan, you are doing enough traveling already.

You can visit Siena and/or Lucca from Florence for the Tuscany experience.

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the thoughts. We have decided to skip the Amalfi Coast on this trip and add a night to Rome (esp. since we don't arrive until the evening).

A new twist: Substituting Asolo for Como. Asolo is on the cover of this month's travel and leisure magazine and looks wonderful. There is a starwood property there (Villa Caprini) where we can get more of those points

Anyway, our new itinerary is as follows:

Rome-4 nights
Florence-4 nights (with a day trip to San G. and/or Chianti)
Venice-2 nights (may try to work on my husband for making this three nights and florence three nights )
Asolo-2 nights
Milan-1 night
Lucerne-1 night

I understand what you all are saying about Milan, but we have to get to Lucerne and thought we might as well check out the city for a night.

We welcome more of your thoughts...this is fun!

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Try to make Milan for more than just a night; make it a day and night. Like the others, I wouldn't put it on my must-see list for a first trip to Italy - if it is a first trip for you - but once there it would be ashame not to visit the Duomo and its roof, La Scala, the Last Supper, the shopping, the Peck Stores. And the best polenta and spinach in a cafeteria down the street from our hotel. I'd go back to Milan for that alone!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have to fly out of Zurich? Even you call this your "Italy itinerary." If it were my trip, I'd leave the 48 hours in Switzerland to another visit and fly home from Milan (or fly Milan to Zurich to home).
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Runner-I just returned from Asolo, and feel that's an excellent choice, particularly as it works out well to go from Venice to Asolo (you could pop into Vicenza for part of a day as well, if you are up to it). They have some lovely little shops, restaurants, great views of the mountains-but that Villa Cipriani (is that where you're staying?) is nice, but I wouldn't have too high of expectations, on the service, or the food. The decor is very, equestrian.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Personally I wouldn't bother with staying overnight in Asolo. I would just visit there for a few hours, say at lunch time or whatever. And I agree with girlspytravel about the Villa Cipriani.

I would take one of the nights you are thinking of staying in Asolo and add that to Venice and the other night to Milan. And I would fly home from Malpensa, the Milano International airport. Just my opinion runner.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Actually, I agree with Love Italy, more time in Venice is more time to realize how little you really have seen of it-and thanks for agreeing with me on the Cipriani-I was trying not to be too negative about it!

We spent a few hours there, and it's a lovely medieval town, but that's all we needed.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Everyone is reporting on such chaos in Venice right now with obnoxious tourists...do you still think it's a good place for three nights? We are planning on taking the train from Florence to Venice and then driving to Asolo for one night and back to Venice for three. Do you know anything about renting a car in Venice to get to Asolo?
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM

If you are planning to visit major museums in Italy (i.e. the Uffizi in Florence or Nero's Tomb in Rome), you can reserve tickets in advance on-line and avoid hours of waiting in long lines of tourists. Plan ahead!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:57 AM
ira

Hi R,

>We are thinking about skipping Amalfi Coast for an extra night in Rome and Venice and/or the addition of Milan,..

I wouldn't include the AC and the CT on the same trip, especially since you are visiting Lake Como.

You have enough time for at least one daytrip out of Florence (Bologna or Siena).

I would definitely add 1 night (if not 2) to Venice.

There are many who will suggest adding 1 night (if not 2) to Rome.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:57 AM
ira

PS,

I wouldn't include Milan on this visit.