Help with Ireland itinerary for May trip

Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Ireland itinerary for May trip

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on my itinerary.

Day 1:
Arrive in Shannon Airport at ~3PM
See Bunratty Castle and Park
Drive to Burren
Overnight in Ballyvaughn
(Is this too much? Should I skip the castle?)

Day 2:
See to Cliffs of Moher (early morning)
Drive to Dingle
See Dingle Town
Overnight in Dingle

Day 3:
Full day at Dingle
Overnight in Dingle

Day 4:
Killarney National Park
Muckross House
Gap of Dunloe if have time
Overnight in Kenmare

Day 5:
Drive along coastline to Kinsale
(including Mizen Head)
Overnight in Kinsale

Day 6:
Blarney Castle
Cahir Castle
Cashel
Overnight in Cashel area

Day 7:
Waterford Crystal Tour
Kilkenny (and surrounding towns)
Overnight in Kilkenny

Day 8:
Drive to Dublin. Overnight here.

Day 9:
Fly home
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:40 PM

Very comprehensive itinerary. You are not leaving much time on your day 1. By the time you clear customs and get out of the airport it will be 4.0pm. If I were you I would spend the night at Bunratty and sink a few pints at Durty Nellies Pub then drive to the Burren the next morning. Have a nice time
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:28 PM

I think your plan looks great with the possible exception of the first day.
It will be nearly 4 by the time you leave the airport. Although you'll have long daylight hours in May, it's going to be fairly late by the time you reach Ballyvaughan if you stop to visit Bunratty. And, you won't be in Ballyvaughan for long the following morning if you want to get to the Cliffs early.
So, my question would be: why drive all the way up to Ballyvaughan for your first night? Why not stay somehwere between Bunratty/Shannon and the Cliffs?
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:29 PM
mjs

I have just a few thoughts. First, I agree that it will probably be about 4pm before you leave Shannon with your car if your flight is on time.
I would skip Bunratty castle, and head straight for Ballyvaughn. Daylight time will depend on what time of year you will be there.
Drive to Dingle may be fine depending on your route. Going in the summer with all the American tourists may make a drive over the mountain very long.
Driving from Kenmare to Kinsale on the coast road may take you alot longer than you think, and if you stick just to the coast road all the way I doubt if you could do it in one day.
I would have Pat Preston go over your trip with you. Her web site is very useful and she answers all sorts of questions about Ireland and knows alot more about the subject than me.
I think you propose a very full and busy trip, which may work just fine. Have a great time.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 02:01 PM

I would go to Bunratty Castle and park and even consider going to the banquet. It is fun but corny. We had a good time and met people that we later went to Dirty Nellies with. We stayed at the Park B & B walking distance down the road. Dirty Nellies was alot of fun too.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 02:21 PM

Excellent itinerary! Can I tag along? Have a great trip!
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:41 AM

I like the sound of your trip very much especially the coast drive around West Cork. I do believe that you would be much better off skipping Bunratty and just heading up to Ballyvaugh to settle in. There are a couple of interesting sites near there that would be worth your time. I am assuming that you are taking the ferry across to Tarbert on your way to Dingle, which would be a nicer drive. Again, it sounds like a wonderful trip. Enjoy yourselves!
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:24 AM

Sounds like you have hit everything, but , I have to ask - Are you planning on seeing any of the towns you are overnighting in?

You are moving from town to town ( with the exception of Dingle) and to me, it seems that you have quite a bit of driving & stops on each day.

I got back a few weeks ago from a 2 week trip where we stayed 2 and 3 nights in each town, and most of the 2 night stays seemed too short. I would be exhausted on your schedule.

Driving in Ireland takes a lot longer than you think ( ave 35mph - allow time for losing your way) and is pretty stressful, with the infrequent signage, Acute Bends with trucks approaching, etc.

I would cut out Gap of Dunloe for sure, and try to combine days 4,5 ,6, & 7 into 2 places instead of 4. ( Cashel and Kilkenny are actually pretty close to one another - and depending on when your flight home is, Kilkenny is only 2 hrs or so from Dublin.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:18 AM

Hi, Great itinerary.. Glad you're taking in West Cork & Mizen Head - too many people miss this beautiful part of Ireland. West Cork far exceeds the Ring of Kerry... Tip for your night in Kenmare. Stay at Virginia's Guesthouse - in the heart of town ([email protected]). Absolutely wonderful breakfast and very clean rooms with power showers. Noreen & Neil will take good care of you.. Please tell them Norma recommended them..

Have fun....
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:58 AM

And what is Pat Preston web address?
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:58 AM

On your way to Dingle, be sure to take the Connor Pass. You will not regret the scenery.

If you really want to do Bunratty, I would recommend overnighting in the area, doing the castle/park/Dirty Nellies. After breakfast, drive to the Cliffs, and then on to Dingle. The Cliffs won't take more than 1 hour unless you want to hike around the area.

We're going back next May -- can't wait. Enjoy and have a Guinness for me.
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Shirley

that would be www.irelandexpert.com