Help with Iceland Itinerary for February

Old Jan 5th, 2018, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Iceland Itinerary for February

My friend & I are planning a 5 day trip to Iceland in February, arriving/departing Reykjavik and we're trying to figure out the best itinerary. I've gotten some great advice from Fodorites and here is what we're thinking. Would love input! :

Option 1:
Day 1: Land very early Reyk, rent car. Head to Vik and check into hotel, have lunch, see waterfall and cliffs,hot springs, dinner, northern lights at night
Day2: Head to Skaftafell/Jokulsarlon for ice caves/Glacier Lagoon. Stay overnight there or back drive back and stay in Vik again?
Day3 Drive golden Circle (self tour). Stay at or near hotel Raja
Day 4: Not sure? Hraunfossar or Snæfellsnes peninsula
Day 5: Blue Lagoon and then Reyk for lunch before heading to airport

Option 2:
Day 1: Land early, Rent car, go to Blue Lagoon early, head to Snæfellsnes peninsula, explore, find hot springs, overnight
Day 2: Drive Golden Circle, overnight at or near hotel Raja
Day 3: Head to Skaftafell/Jokulsarlon for ice caves/Glacier Lagoon. Stay overnight there
Day 4: More activities at above area head back and overnight in Vik or Reyk
Day 5: Explore Reyk, lunch, airport

Option 3:
Day 1: Land early, Rent car, drive Golden Circle and overnight at near hotel Raja (too much for first day after overnight flight?) or take organized Golden Circle Tour, overnight in Reyk and rent car following day
Day 2: Head to Skaftafell/Jokulsarlon for ice caves/Glacier Lagoon. Stay overnight there
Day 3: More activities at above area (hot springs etc) head back and overnight in Vik or Reyk
Day 4: Hraunfossar or Snæfellsnes peninsula.
Day 5: Explore Reyk, lunch, airport

Would love any and all advice and feel free to tell me a different option altogether would work better. It's hard to know if these are doable or make sense especially in February when we know weather is very unpredictable there.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 06:35 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Due to your overnight flight, I highly recommend you not drive any further than from the airport to your hotel, if that.

Driving while tired is akin to driving while drunk. Throw in so potential bad weather, and well, you're just looking for trouble IMO.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure you're right Melnq8. Thanks for the good advice.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Have you researched parking in Reykyavik?

I doubt you'll manage all that on day 1 of Option 1.

There is no guarantee of seeing the Northern Lights, I hope you know that.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 12:29 PM

FWIW, when our kids did the Blue Lagoon they did it first thing in the morning on the day they were flying home. They loved it and said it was really nice to get on the plane being so relaxed.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

StCirq, I have not researched parking. We just had 2 pipes burst in our house and lots of damage so I haven't had a lot of time. Do you have any insight on this?
Option 1 is more exploring the area of Vik with a spa stop after checking into the hotel.
I do know the Northern Lights is weather related, yes. I'm crossing my fingers!

MMS, that's good insight for the plane ride home. I hadn't considered that.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 03:08 PM

No, i don't have any insight. I've never had a car in Reykyavik. I just don't recall seeing a lot of parking places, but perhaps i wasn't looking because i didn't need to. You can google.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 03:12 PM

Parking in Reykjavik can be difficult. The lots they have are often full.
We spent several day on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula in Early June, and have an extensive TR including places to eat etc. https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...re-and-ice.cfm

The Iceland part starts July 1. Touring Snaesfellsnes, I would concentrate on the north shore which has more interest than the south. The landscape gets more and more spectacular as you drive toward the far end where you will find the beautiful National Park. I can't speak for February, but the roads that ring the Peninsula are fine and easy driving, I would imagine they are kept up in winter, just keep a sharp eye out for sheep which wander freely. If you stay overnight on the peninsula, I would recommend the North Star Apartments in Rif which is just outside the NP. We stayed there and found it perfect. Large clean room, excellent bath, cooking facilities and fridge. Rif itself has little to offer but it is only a 5 minute drive to the nearest town. The advantage is that it so close to the park. If staying overnight, I would spend the first day driving to the peninsula and exploring the north shore. Sleep in Rif and get a jump to the NP in the morning - if not Rif then the town of Olafsvik which is quite nice. In Olafsvik, eat at the Materles Restaurant. After seeing the park continue south stopping a the black sand beach to see the bird colonies and then go along the southern shore until the road back to Reykjavik. An alternative to the Blue lagoon, or in addition to it if you have a later flight, go to Keflavik (the town, not the airport) for lunch before your flight. The buffet at the Kafi Duus, next to the museum is very good, has Icelandic specialties and is not expensive, about the same as similar in the US which as you will find is very unusual for Iceland. From there it is a straight 5 minute drive to the airport car rental return.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Basingstoke, these are some great suggestions.
Do you (or does anyone) have any thoughts on the itinerary options in terms of where/when time is spent?
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Go to one of these instead of the Blue Lagoon: http://reykjavik.is/en/swimming-pools

Take one of the free student-led tours: https://citywalk.is/tour/free-walking-tour-reykjavik/

If you get tired of expensive Icelandic food, eat at Meze on the main shopping street in Reykyavik - the only Turkish restaurant in Iceland with affordable, delicious food.

The Duty Free shop at the airport has a shop selling some unusual and delectable things - we are still using our lava and blueberry salts from our last stopover, but there are many other small things you can easily pack to take home, or as gifts for friends.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq, We definitely plan to go to a few of the thermal spas (hoping to go to one each day! in addition to the Blue Lagoon. I've heard mixed reviews on the BL because it's so touristy but I don't think I can go there without having the experience. Thanks for sending this one, we'll add it to our hit list!

The student led tour is also a really great suggestion, thank you and we'll check out the restaurant and I will definitely plan to get some of those salts!!
I also have the Happy Hour app downloaded on my phone to help with the expensive meals.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:01 AM

>

Our visit to Iceland this past Spring was my fourth (DW's 2nd). On my second visit with my son we visited the Blue Lagoon to see what it was but did not actually enter. Having seen it, my reaction was nope, not for me. The other thermal spas are a far more authentic experience in terms of where Icelanders may go. I never missed not "doing" the BL.

In exploring Icelandic food, you may see an item on the menu called Plokkfiskur. It is basically a mash of cod and potatoes which sounds meh but is actually quite tasty. It is a traditional food, usually one of the more inexpensive items on the menu and makes a fine and filling meal, especially when served with the usual black rye, which is terrific. Bread soup is also common and usually quite good.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:06 AM

I forgot to add the ubiquitous fish soup, also usually excellent and filling. The fish soup at the Materles restaurant in Olafsvik on Snaefellsnes was particularly good and different from the others.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:20 AM

OTOH, we thought the much-touted Icelandic hot dogs were indigestible. Truly gross.

Forgot to mention that down on the main wharf area there is a Rasta (Haitian, I think) coffee shop that serves inexpensive coffees and snacks. A very convivial place, and cheap.

We loved Plokkfiskur. It's basically a brandade.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:16 AM

I totally agree with StCirq about the Icelandic hot dogs. I thought the putrified shark was tastier. In fact, it was not as horrible as I was prepared for. A small piece on a chunk of black rye is an interesting experience. If you go to Snaefellsnes, the place where it is produced is on the north shore. Look for the shark sign and then follow the road. A visit will include a short interesting movie about the history of putrified shark, an all you want taste test and you can visit the shed where it is cured. I thought it well worthwhile.