Help with Florence/Tuscany/Umbria itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: How does this sound for a brief (unfortunately) 8-day trip? Too much, too little, anything missing? All comments appreciated! Thanks.<BR>Flying into and out of Florence.<BR>Day 1-3 Florence (3 nights)<BR>Day 4 Collodi/Lucca (overnight Lucca)<BR>Day 5 Volterra/San Gim (overnight Siena)<BR>Day 6 Siena (overnight Siena)<BR>Day 7 Montalcino/Orvieto/Todi (overnight Spoleto)<BR>Day 8 Spoleto/Montefalco/Spello/Assisi (overnight Florence
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Are you travelling between towns a rental car or train?
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:12 PM

sorry.....s/b &quot;via a rental car or trains&quot;
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:15 PM

xxxx: You do fine until days 7 and 8. Unless you just want to drive through, trying to &quot;do&quot; four towns in one day just isn't practical and you would really miss &quot;seeing&quot; Orvieto and Assisi. Maybe, save Lucca for another time. I love Lucca, but as it is the most off your schedule in terms of distance, it would be the one to drop if you were looking to gain time. Then, pare down the number of towns to do on days 7 and 8 to two at most (one per day would be better). This will still only let you skim Orvieto or Assisi (in fact any of the towns), but at least you will get onto the streets and into the main sites.<BR>Your trip, then would look something like this:<BR>3 nights Florence<BR>Day 4 to Volterra and San Gimignano<BR>Day 5 to Siena<BR>Day 6 to Montalcino (consider Montepulciano instead) and Orvieto<BR>Day 7 to Todi and Assisi<BR>Day 8 a quick trip into Spello and head for Florence (maybe a quick stop at Perugia on the way).<BR>I understand the desire to see as much as you can and you will get many opinions here, but the schedule I have proposed will give you a much more satisfactory trip IMHO. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I am using a rental car.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:37 PM

I totally agree with Joegri. He's actually given you a damned good itinerary. <BR>With only 8 days, it vital to go into your planning knowing that you can't possible see everything....not even close! Starting from that point, research the various towns in Tuscany and Umbria and set your priorties. Obviously, from your original itinerary, you'd done some solid research. Now, refine it even more!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your input! How's this revised itinerary?<BR><BR>Day 1-3 Florence<BR>Day 4 Lucca<BR>Day 5 Volterra/San Gim<BR>Day 6 Siena<BR>Day 7 Orvieto/Todi<BR>Day 8 Spoleto/Spello (return to Florence)<BR><BR>More do-able? Or have I eliminated the wrong towns? Thanks again!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 10:59 PM

xxxxx: Much better, at least in my opinion. You are giving yourself a chance to see something rather than just passing through.<BR>Because Spello is so far South of Spoletto and you will have to double back, day 8 will be a long one. But, still, much more doable than your original itnerary. Good luck.