Help with Florence hotel

Search

Help with Florence hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Florence hotel

My husband has surprised me with a 10 day trip to Italy leaving in 3 weeks! I would love suggestions for a hotel in Florence for 4 nights. I would like something comfortable, in the 4 star range. Thanks for all your help.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The stars are somewhat meaningless. They relate to the type and number of amenities offered by the hotel (some of which, like meetings facilities, you won't be using) and not the quality or level of luxury.

So, what's your budget?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. Would like to spend around 300.00 a night, not more than that. Because we are staying for 4 nights I would like something comfortable.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Euros? Dollars? Pounds?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Dollars.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM

San Gallo Palace is a wonderful value and about a 15-20 minute walk from the Duomo.

The Berchielli is a comfortable hotel on the Arno with a great location and a nice staff.

The Principe is another nice 4 star but perhaps not in your budget.

If they are running any promos, Antica Torre Tournabuoni is my very favorite Florence hotel. Small, personal, perfectly located, wonderful rooms, great terrace.

You should book soon as October is busy in Florence.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM

A few more to consider:

Hotel Casci
www.hotelcasci.com

Relais Cavalcanti (B&B, only 4 rooms)
www.relaiscavalcanti.com

I agree with kfusto. You need to get reservations ASAP.

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Here's where we're staying in early November. It got excellent reviews:

Alloro Bed & Breakfast
Address Via del Giglio 8 , Florence
Tel. +39 055 211685
Fax. +39 055 2650161
Email [email protected]

I took this from our confirmation, so I don't have the web site, but you can google it.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM

I second MelJ's reco for the Alloro - I stayed there last October. It's very comfortable - nice sized room and bath. It's about 3 blocks from the train station, and 3-4 blocks to the Duomo with nice shopping close by. I loved hearing the church bells ringing...have a great time!
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We are looking at Alloro and the Bellini? Which would you choose in Venice for 2 nights? It's between Hotel Amadeus and the Bonevecchiati. Other suggestions are definitely welcomed!
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM

You should start another thread asking about the Venice hotels, and put the names of the hotels in the title.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Here's where we're staying for the Venice portion of our trip. We splurged for the canal view suite because we've been pretty frugal for the balance of the trip and, what the heck, it's Venice!

http://www.locandalevele.com/
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Mel J..I have a quote from Antica and the Bellini. The Antica is my choice however I read they do not have a conceirge service. Beiing our first time we will definitely need help. Your thoughts? Has anyone stayed at either hotel?
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM

This is our first trip to Venice, noridog. I did a lot of research and found that most of the hotels we were interested in were booked for the time we needed to be there (Oct. 28-31).

Because Venice is very walkable and there are no theatres or other things we'd need a concierge for, I didn't rate that need high on the list (not sure, but I think our hotel has one anyway).

I got most of my information right here on Fodors!
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I meant to address KFUSTO regarding the Antica in Florence.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Re Antica, they do have a desk and concierge but it is not 24 hours like a larger hotel. I believe they come in at 9 and close at 7 or 8pm. They were most helpful and gracious always during my two stays there and I was able to get any questions answered during the hours they are there.

I have stayed at 8 different hotels/B&Bs over the course of 17 visits to Florence and this is without doubt the most special. If I could afford it, it would always be my first choice. Perfect location, wonderful rooms, great views from rooftop terrace and all around just a lovely experience.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Antica it is ! That's one hotel booked. 3 more to go and we leave in 3 weeks! No worries. Thanks so much Kfusto.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Hi

Hope that you find a good hotel. My wife and I went to Florence last year and we stayed at Anglo American. Florence is great by the way and we had a lovely stay there for 4 days. Here is our trip report with pictures and links: http://gardkarlsen.com/florence_italy_travelogue.htm . I hope that you can find some useful info there. Get in touch if you have any questions

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 04:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Since Florence is so compact I can't imagine needing a concierge. It only takes about 20 minutes to walk through the historic center from side-to-side.

I stayed at Alloro B&B a week and a half ago (certainly not a four star). I needed a budget place not too far from the train station as I had injured my arm and didn't want to pull my luggage too far. My room (a single) was decent size and the bathroom was nice. The window in my room was on the side street Alloro which had very little traffic and was quiet. The bedspread could use updating, but I just folded it back. The staff were very nice, providing maps, etc. At the reception desk is a big bowl of mixed fruits - plums, grapes, etc. In the rooms were a bowl of nuts (free) and other items (charge)plus a mini fridge. There is a tea kettle so you can make hot drinks. I think they provide breakfast also (to your room?), but I didn't request any as I'm not a breakfast person. Lots of hot water for the shower. They also have a very quiet interior courtyard with a few tables where you could sit and relax. The building has another hotel on another floor and private residences and has an elevator. You are given four keys to get in - the big wooden door from the street, the wrought iron gate to the courtyard, key to open the hallway from reception to rooms, and room key.

I emailed Alloro the night before from Siena and my single was priced at 60€. They also allowed me to store my luggage after I checked out.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM

Many of us have stayed in a lovely hotel call "B&B in Piazza della Signoria" www.inpiazzadellasignoria.com/

The rooms are as lovely as they appear on the site and breakfast is outstanding. Several of the rooms look directly onto the piazza, with a perfect view of the Neptune fountain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -