Help with Europe vacation itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to plan a trip to several locations in Europe and I think I am overthinking everything and am finding it difficult to narrow anything down. I managed to plan a honeymoon in Venice and Bellagio several years ago using this site and I am hoping you can help me again. So far nothing has been finalized. I know where we want to go but not for how long. My husband came up with the idea but left the details to me. He wants to go to Belgium and Germany- he loves the beer in both places and Belgian chocolate. He barely tolerates churches, museums, palaces etc. Hates the touristy things. I've already told him its difficult to plan a trip to Europe if all you want to do is eat and drink- how else are you going to fill your time ? My initial thoughts so far- Amsterdam-He will have to go to the Rijksmuseum whether he wants to or not. Also the Anne Frank museum and maybe a canal boat ride. Just saw another post about a "Best of Holland" excursion? Was thinking 2 nights in Amsterdam.

Next on to Belgium via train- thinking of basing in Brussels and daytripping out- Bruges- Ghent (also via train) and the beer towns- Hoegaarden etc (via car rental?) Its what happens after Belgium, estimating 3-4 nights, that seems to be screwing me up. Thinking of skipping Luxembourg this trip. Was thinking of traveling the Mosel river and the Rhine- how to get there from Belgium? Train? Car? Stay 2 nights in Koblenz? Was checking out Berlin but not sure if it should be hit on this trip and concentrate on Bavaria and Munich - Oktoberfest a big no from the husband- too crowded. Try to squeeze Austria & Switzerland ? I have three weeks to play with though if I can get the trip narrowed down to 2 weeks would be better. Any advice is appreciated. Some background on us- we prefer to travel alone, dislike crowds, dislike too touristy events. Loved San marco square in Italy- I still dream of sitting w/a glass of wine and some olives people watching, and listening to the music. We drove from Venice to Bellagio- husband loved it- we somehow managed to rent a Mercedes. He was overloaded by churches in Venice- Bellagio was more his styl. He claims that he is more than happy sitting drinking a Belgian beer in a Belgian pub, eating chocolates and waffles! While I agree there has to be a few other things to do in between. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM
ira

Hi B,

We can't help you very much as long as you are in the "thinking out loud" stage.

Once you have decided on a couple of places to visit and know for how long, come back to us and we can help you improve it.

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM

My first thought reading your post was: Have they thought about going to Antwerp? It's a great destination with fantastic food and drink. Spending a week in Belgium really isn't too much if you put Antwerp, Brugge, Ghent and Brussels on the itinerary.

I don't care for either Dutch food or German food. How about your husband? London has become one of the premiere restaurant destinations across the Atlantic -- but its restaurants and accommodations are very pricey. How big is the budget?

Maybe places along the French Atlantic coast would hold some appeal.

A lot of people plan their European trips using food as their focus, trusting that there is enough of historic or artistic interest and beauty in nearby towns that they won't get bored on a rainy day. I've planned some very relaxing trips that way in Italy. Were I thinking of going to Belgium and the French coast, I might start out looking at a Michelin guide, for interesting places with good restaurants.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI the Rijksmuseum is mostly closed for renovation. I'd check on a re-open date before you go/plan your trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

I was on the Rijksmuseum website last week and while it did say renovations were occuring I thought that it said it was still open. I will recheck though.

The itinerary I am thinking is Amsterdam 2 nights
Brussels- base- one day/night to explore city- then day trips out to Ghent, Bruges- not sure of this timeline- allowing one day for each??Wasn't originally planning Antwerp and couldn't give a good explanation of why but am willing to add after reading a few posts after I posted my original request.
So thinking 4 nights total in Belgium
Then on to Germany-
was originally thinking Luxembourg- one night- then to Trier and up the Mosel River- stop to check out some Wineries and then to Koblenz down the Rhine and on to Munich and Fussen. My husband actually wants to see Neuschwanstein.

My problem, Ira, is the how long. The more I read, and look at the posts the more confused I get. I've eliminated Berlin- partly because it seems to be too far north- almost like a side trip- and when we are there what can we do that isnt too touristy? Is it worth the travel time ?

If you had 10 days total and a travel companion who wasn't into museums or churches, hated crowds, only wanted to eat and drink (he actually just made a belgian style beer- he makes his own beer and wine), didn't mind driving, thinks the trains "might be cool". You were told by this travel companion that you had to go to Belgium and Germany (for the beer mainly) - but not to Oktoberfest, I added Amsterdam because its close and I've wanted to go. For the same reasons that's why I've been kicking around Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland and I didn't include in the previous post but Venice and Paris- maybe CZ to Plzen (birthplace of the Pilsner beer?- although again too far north I think) I look at the maps and I think well we're already there- why not stop in Luxembourg, or when in Munich- why not stop in Austria and hey since we'll be in Austria- why not back to my favorite place in the world- Venice ? Or skip Venice for its own trip (anniversary maybe?) and from Munich to Austria to Switzerland to hey, France is right here- might as well go to Paris and maybe fly out of Paris.

Could it all be done in three weeks? Would the three weeks be all travel days?
I need your level heads to say I'm crazy and yes it is too many cities/countries and it will never fit into 2 or three weeks.

Another reason I am trying to cram so much in is that its been 5 years since we went to Italy. We flew out almost a month after 9/11 and I was a little freaked out on the plane. So I am again dreading the thought of the plane trip. I'm afraid that I won't get the nerve to go again.

The budget again is somewhat flexible- each year for 4 years I've been putting off the trip- for the above reasons- plane trip and scatterbrained planning but I've been saving each year.

Again, if I get the nerve I'd like to do a separate London- Ireland ?- Paris trip- I have family in London and Ireland.

Belgium and Germany are an absolute must this trip and my husband will eat or try to eat almost anything.

I feel I can plan the Amsterdam- Belgium leg of the trip I guess it's the Germany part that I'm having trouble with.
How many days would you set aside for a trip to Trier and up the Mosel River- stopping to check out some Wineries and then to Koblenz down the Rhine and on to Munich and Fussen?

Recap:
2 nights Amsterdam
4 nights Belgium
1 night- Luxembourg ?
Germany ?

Thanks for your patience!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I said the Rijksmuseum was mostly closed, not closed. A large amount of the exhibit space is being renovated. I don't know when the work will be finished, and I don't know what percentage of the total space is affected.