Search

Help with Croatia Honeymoon Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Croatia Honeymoon Itinerary

Hi,
We will be going on our honeymoon in Croatia in September (starting Sept 22). We will have 14 nights total and are flying into Dubrovnik and out of Zagreb. Here is my tentative itinerary. Any places where we are staying too long? Any great places that we are missing? Thanks!

6 nights- Dubrovnik (including day trips to Mostar and Montenegro)
3 nights- Hvar
2 nights- Trogir
2 nights- Plitvice
1 night- Zagreb
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:32 AM

Seo_travel,

Sounds like a great honeymoon! I was in Croatia last August/September for a shorter period and did not get to Plitvice---did the daytrip from Dubrovnik to Montenegro.

Depending on when you are actually going from Dubrovnik to Hvar, I'd be inclined to add another noght to Hvar to relax, enjoy the island rhythm, maybe do a daytrip to another island (that said, it is not summer season so I don't know the island options). Dubrovnik is quite small---but beautiful. You'll love Croatia.

Kathy
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Croatia is absolutely gorgeous. You'll love your time there. Dubrovnik & Hvar were two of my favorite cities when my wife & I traveled last Sept. Am envious of the extra time you will have there. We actually sailed for 7 days from Split to Dubrovnik & back with stops along the way. Split was also one of our favorite stops, a beautiful & "alive" seaside city -- a romantic place I would think for your honeymoon as well (2 days would suffice). Plitvice National Park is great. We spent 2 nights like you & thoroughly enjoyed the hiking there -- lots of waterfalls. Just a relaxing, holding hands kind of place! Enjoy!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:25 AM

We are taking our honeymoon there in late April/early May! We are also flying into DBV and out of ZAG. Here is our itinerary (from memory...haven't looked at it recently since we booked our hotels some time ago)

6 nights DBV (also planning to do Montenegro and Mostar)
3 nights Split (hoping to take the ferry to Hvar)
1 night Plitvice
3 nights Opatija
2 nights Zagreb

We're renting a car, which we'll have until we turn it in at Rijeka (near Opatija) to take the train to Zagreb.

Looks like we're going further north and west than you, but otherwise we're doing similar things. I'd like to get to Trogir while we're in Split...we'll see.

Not sure if any of this info will help you, just figured I'd reply since we're taking our honeymoon there too and cannot wait!

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

keg, that's cool that you are going to Croatia on your honeymoon also! We will be renting a car after Dubrovnik. Which rental car company are you using? I haven't looked into that yet, still working on booking hotels. We decided instead of the 6th night in Dubrovnik we will stay one night in Mostar. Please post when you return and let me know about your trip!
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM

My fiance took care of the car rental. I'll post back when I find out which company he decided to go with...he was looking at several options.

Staying in Mostar for one night is a great idea! Too bad we already booked our hotels.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM

I was there this past September and would recommend the following:

Spend less time in Dubrovnik. Beautiful City - no doubt. It really is the jewel of the Adriatic. We stayed there for five nights though and found that to be too much. We intended on doing a day trip to Montenegro but the weather was uncooperative and so we spent the entire time there. I hear Mostar is not worth going to (you won't think much of it after you've seen Split and Dubrovnik).

I'd add Split to the mix. I know a lot of people like Trogir more than Split but Split is a really nice live city where you're not surrounded by tourist. The cafe culture is alive and well there. I would spend a night in Trogir (did that and it was enough) and do three nights in Split (I did two nights and found it too short)
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM

keg9857 - you should keep the car and turn it on at zagreb airport - after 40 yrs of travel to Croatia, the train is the last option...some of you might consider a cruise on the m/s Dalmacija, mv emanuel and mv barbara - service is excellent and there is nothing like experiencing the coast from the Adriatic - contact me if interested
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Anid,
Our itinerary has slightly changed and now we have a couple extra days which I am not sure what to do with-- I am thinking about Split but we will have a rental car with us-- will it be difficult to have a car in Split?

Thanks,
Sarah
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 02:59 AM

Check these car rentals.

www.auto-europe.com

www.weltrentacar.hr

www.economycarrentals.com

Are there better deals to be found?
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 04:06 AM

I thought Mostar was beautiful and well worth a visit. It was the highlight of my trip.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35086450

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry my reply took so long. My fiance booked our car w/Economy Car Rentals. He found that to be the best price. Take care if you're going to be crossing into Montenegro or Bosnia--you may need to pay extra. I know we did. Again, I did not make the reservation and let my fiance take care of it. Can anyone share more about driving a car rented in Croatia to other countries?

Also, to the person who suggested taking the car on to Zagreb. The reason why we chose to do this is because I wanted to take a train at some point in the trip. I studied abroad and took trains everywhere, and it brings back good memories I like trains and don't get to travel on them where I live in the Midwest.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM

i had no problems with economycarrentals.

I booked with them because they were well recommended on fodors, and they were cheap, but didn't add on large charges for CDW etc. Also they allowed you to take the car on ferries and into Bosnia and Montenegro. Nor do they seem to charge when dropping off in a different location to pickup.

I was upgraded to a larger car on arrival, an almost new Seat. The young man at the airport was most helpful, we did the damage report together and off I went.

At the end of my week, I discovered a long dark mark along the passenger side of the car - don't know how it got there, probably a truck bumper or wing mirror when I left the car parked on the street somewhere, but when I pointed it out on return the young man shrugged and said, is nothing, will come off in the wash ,and that was it.

I had no problems renting with them, and would use them again. I would also be happy to recommend them as a result of my experience
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM

after 2 visits to the Opatija area, we have decided to get married next September in the tiny harbour of Volosko villiage and are holding our reception at Restaurant Le Mandrac, a truly fantastic example of Croatian fine dining.
We have not made a decision about where we will stay and welcome all advice on good hotels or Villas. Thanks!!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:19 AM

Can anyone shed light on Croatia versus Portugal? I am deciding between two for a week and a half trip over the summer. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:54 AM

hi and happy honeymooning
im just about to continue my post in Croatia trip,,,havent got up to the croatian bit yet,,but i have my diary ready..should post tomorrow if i have a chance...i owe my trip to a guy called alyssamo who posted here a couple of years ago...see if you can do a search ...otherwise read my notes
have a grand time!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM

Hi! i would LOVE to read your trip report. I tried looking up that guy's name but it didn't come up on my search. We only have eight nights or so...is that enough to see everything we would want there? Also, can you tell me the top two or three cities that you would recommend? THANKS so so much!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM

croatia is a great place
we are nature lovers ..so not so much into the big cities
we spent an afternoon in zagreb..walking...that was enough to get a feel
plitvice lakes were great..had a morning there...

saw zadar...had lunch by the water there

trogir is wonderful ...right next to split and a much nicer place to stay ...lots of people knock split and i can see why but its good to see...the palace is interesting and the atmosphere at night by the water is great

cute little villages all along the coastal road ...have a look at markarska riviera and a tiny village called ston...that was a really interesting walk up the town wall for a good view..something different

dubrovnik is a must..spent three days there
didnt get to mostar but would have liked to have seen the moslem contrasts...but a bit far for a day trip...six hours there and back..i think its an overnighter unless you get an early bus or are super organised yourself..plenty of daylight in summer so its do-able
kotorfjords are great...take euros to get over the border...and be prepared to pay the insurance...the car co said we could claim it back upon our return to zagreb...not so..pretty dodgy but you just cough up ...good to know in advance
montenegro has a different feel to croatia...seems a lot poorer but still very pretty
we hired a yacht and sailed from split to brac island to hvar and then to vis ...pretty slow going ..no wind..we hired motor scooters or car to see the islands..theyre quite big for just one day tours

ill continue my notes
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM

we hired a car in zagreb..did through sixt online from sydney but we did follow up with a phone call
got an opel chevrolet...best value 2yrs ago
the manual was all in croatian tho..no english instructions whatsoever so we had trouble even getting the petrol cap off

petrol was dear
and going over to montenegro was a bit of a hassle..cos we had no euros on us ..only kunas which they didnt accept
no arguing..we raided our pockets and came up with loose change
to pay for the insurance
and even though sixt in zagreb told us that wed be and have that money reimbursed,( 15 euros back in 2006) when we handed the car back in split...we got no money back
they said that we should have specified it in writing on the form back in zagreb airport pick up that we were intending to go to montenegro to visit the fjord
no big deal but still leaves you feeling stupid
they dont take credit or eftpos at the border ..all cash ...or orange juice i guess
no arguing there...theyre pretty tough looking guys in the booths there...you cant smile your way out of anything

TIP
buy a newspaper and leave it on your dashboard ...that will trick any would be thieves into thinking youre a local..provided there are no signs that youre driving a hired vehicle...pretty nifty hey lol lol
im sure theyre all sitting there looking at you park your car and shaking their heads...'there goes another stupid tourist who cant read the language...but hes got it covered with the ole' leave the newspaper on the dashboard' trick...
!!
parking is hard in dubrovnik we had to park way up near the supermarket and cart our stuff ..but the guy we rented the apartment from in the old town got a trolley and helped..he was great..all those steps arent fun with luggage
theres a supermarket called Konzum up on ulice Zagrebocka ( ulice is street) you can park there across the road for free...i did park near the supermarket once but this old guy pulled up and made a face of frustration and when i asked him ...he said ' i live here" so we moved the car..not fair on the locals hey..but then he showed me the free carpark a few metres away...its just a vacant piece of land...dont know if its still there in 2008..this was two years ago