Search

help with Christmas in Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with Christmas in Copenhagen

Hi

I will be in Copenhagen for Christmas this year.

I am a little bit worried that restaurants etc will be closed both on Christmas eve and Christmas day..

Does anyone know of any good restaurants that open on those days..?? any recommendations??

Many thanks

nanu
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM

We'll be there for Christmas this year as well and are wondering whether anyone out there can suggest any Christmas activities that would be fun to not miss. Anyone?
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 03:14 PM

I would guess that Tivoli Gardens will be open, at least on one or the other days and that several of their many restaurants will be open. Google tivoli and see what you can find. Please keep this thread going with info you find. CPH would seem to be a fantastic place to spend Christmas or New Years. Good luck.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM

Oops. Just googled Tivoli Gardens at Christmas and learned that they are closed on both Dec. 24 and 25. So sorry.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM

I just learned of this on another thread...

All I can say is: I hope you are visiting friends or family.

Virtually all shops, museums, Tivoli, etc are likely to be closed on the 24th and 25th. Tivoli and (I think) most museums will re-open on the 26th. Shops (except maybe some grocery stores and perhaps some tourist shops) will be closed on the 26th. Some shops will be open on the 27th, but some will not be. For example, of the two big department stores, Magasin will be closed, but Illum will be open.

Aside from the 25th, I think most restaurants should be open. For the 25th, you might try the ethnic restaurants in Vesterbro or one of the hotels. I took a look at some random places that have online booking and it does look like Wagamama is open for lunch on the 25th and it seems like the Custom House Bar & Grill will also be open, though none of the other restaurants at the Custom House will be. I have no idea about bars or clubs.

As to events, I doubt there are many. Danes tend to be very family-oriented, so are likely to hole up at home. If you get there before the 24th (or just after Christmas), then obviously the street scene can be quite festive and Tivoli will be all decked out.

Seriously, if you had the time and inclination, I would consider hopping on a plane somewhere else, at least for the 24th through the 26th. It sounds like Amsterdam might be a better choice, or head to a non-Christian city like Istanbul.