Reload this Page >

time of year to visit greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:04 AM
mandi

Is the first week of September still too crowded?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:19 AM
Georgio

Hi Mandy,<BR><BR>The best season to visit Greece is Spring and Autumn. Starting from April and onwards, the best time can be May-June and then September-October, the best being late September.<BR><BR>And, yes, the first week of September can be overcrowed, but then again it depends of the what place in Greece are you going to visit.<BR><BR>If you tell me the place, I can tell you more specific advice and suggestions.<BR><BR>E-mail me directly for faster responce since I check Fodors site periodically.<BR><BR>All the best,<BR><BR>Georgio

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 08:39 AM
mandi

I wanted to visit the islands--santorini etc.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 10:43 PM
elvira

We were in Naxos the first two weeks of October, and saw very few tourists. I hate swimming in any water colder than a hot tub, but three of the other girls actually went splashing about one afternoon. Athens was still pretty crowded, but not unbearably so.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Tracy

Hey Mandi - I would say May and September. June/July/August are so busy and bakingly hot . . .<BR><BR>Plus, when you get to know your local shopkeeper/taverna owner, they'll have more time to talk/be happier to talk with you, without all the crowds!<BR><BR>Everytime we've been to the Dodecanese we try for these 2 months. Temps in the 80s and ferries still frequent.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:20 AM
SharonG

I was there last week in September and first week in October. Wonderful warm weather. Went to Santorini, Mykynos, Patmos, Crete and Turkey. Plus Athens and various other sites in Greece. Swam in the ocean which was very warm. And everything was so much cheaper and not crowded. Have fun.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Erica B

Hi Mandy,<BR><BR>From the comments above, and from all I've heard, September is a nice time to go. I just returned in May so can say that this is also a great time of year. I totally echo Tracy's comment above about getting to know the local people who when they actually have time to talk - they're amazingly happy and friendly. For me, this was the best part of the trip, making it my most memorable European adventure yet! Enjoy!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:27 AM
betty

Hi-- <BR> <BR>Would it be totally dumb to visit Greece (the Peloponnese area) in January? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Monica

Tony and I enjoyed Greece this past May, 1-14th. Very nice weather! See my travel page for my journal, photos, etc. http://greece2001mjp.homestead.com/greece2001.html <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:02 PM
carol

I've heard that it's freezing in the Peloponnese in January.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Harry

I'm thinking of spending a week or so on Naxos in March? What's the weather like? Windy? Rainy? <BR> <BR>Harry