London and Southern England in May

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:06 PM
carla

London and Southern England in May

My sister and I want to go to England in May 2002. I've been to London before but she hasn't. We're both avid gardeners and want to go to the Chelsea flower show. Any other ideas for out of the ordinary gardens we might enjoy?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:08 PM
gardenlover

There are many gardens listed under www.gardenvisit.com and www.nationaltrust.org.uk. You might want to find a copy of The 2001 Gardener's Guide to Britain by Patrick Taylor and Walking London's Parks and Gardens by Geoffrey Young. These are all excellent resources. If you do a search on this forum, there may be garden recommendations. By the way, you can purchase your Chelsea tickets online through ticketmaster.uk or the Royal Hort Society website.

The gardens are fabulous, enjoy!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 12:54 AM
sylvia

Try and see the Chelsea Physic Garden while you are in the area.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:05 AM
SteveJames

Hello Carla,

Two of the most stunning gardens in Southern England are STOURHEAD in Wiltshire (south of Bath) and EXBURY in Hampshire (New Forest). Both are quite spectacular in May/June. Enjoy!

Steve

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 09:45 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

If you use the search system on this page of Fodors forum and search for "gardens" you'll find a recent and useful correspondence.

Ben Haines, London

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 11:16 AM
David White

Carla,

Don't forget the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew--just a 30 minute train ride from downtown London.

If you head south, I'll add a vote for Sissinghurst--home of garden legend Vita Sackville-West. But heck, its ENGLAND, you can't go far without finding a stellar garden.

Enjoy

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com
[email protected]

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 11:30 AM
janis

All the gardens already listed above are wonderful - If you are staying in the south do try to get to Sissinghurst, Scotney Castle(blew me away my 1st visit and have been back several times), Hever, Penshurst Place and Chartwell (W. Churchill's country home) - All of these are in Kent and East Sussex and relatively near each other.

Also, the gardens at Hampton Court are magnificent.

I really enjoy the Physic garden - not flashy but really interesting.

If you join the RHS you can attend Chelsea on Members-only days. Much less crowded!

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 05:33 PM
carla

Thanks for the help. We have considered joining the Royal Horticultural Society as it is not terribly expensive. Thanks for the hint