help with budget hotel in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Rome From May 31st to June 4 we are currently booked at a Guest house called Villa Del Fonte in Trastevere. The place looks fine, but it is a little more than I want to pay (145Euro - night) since the dollar keeps weakening , I am trying to figure a way to save money. I read on rick steves web site that rome was empty and many hotels are offering last minute discounts? I have yet to find any good ones. I would like to stay in Trastevere, Navona,patheon,or campo de fiore ?? Any suggestions? Thanks
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I don't have personal knowledge of budget hotels in Rome, but if you do a search for Rome budget hotels, you will find a wealth of information.

We stayed at Hotel Portoghesi in old Rome which was fine, but I'm not sure what the rates would be now.

Good luck.
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Both of these places are in the same building, located between Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori, and both should have some rooms for close to 100 euros/night: Hotel Primavera, and Residenza San Pantaleo.

We stayed at the Primavera for four nights last April and thought it was a great value.
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:46 AM

I was working with a tight budget too and ended up making a reservation with Hotel Italia. Read a lot of good things about it on this forum and on venere.com. It is of course nothing fancy but people seem to be raving about their breakfast. They also give some discount to "Rick Steves readers". They originally quoted 113 euros plus 8 euros for air-condition, with Rick Steves discount it is 100 euros plus 8 for air-condition and it has to be paid all in cash. We are staying there for 5 nights in the first week of June, and they have been really friendly and helpful in all our e-mail correspondences. Their website is www.hotelitaliaroma.com if you are interested. Hope this helps.
Old May 12th, 2003, 11:59 AM

We stayed at the San Panteleo last year. It was about $100 a night, in a great location. The room sizes vary considerably, however. Ours was huge but some others were very small.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Try this website: www.venere.it
I stayed at the Picasso Hotel in February and the rate was $47/night. It is a short walk to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Trevi. It is also very close to the bus line.
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

I just found Trastevere House for about 100 Euros a night - does anyone know any things about this hotel?
I also found "A Trastevere - La Mana" for about 125? Il Glicine - Trastevere for 110?
any comments - thanks?
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:59 AM

try cross-pollinate.com, they offer B&B's and the like.......i secured a studio apartment for 88 euros a night.
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:14 PM

I agree with Josh. cross pollinate has some pretty low rates for the budget-minded. Plus, hosts such as the Pascucci's, make you feel very welcomed, are are so helpful with bus/train schedules, tips on the best NON-touristy restaurants, etc. You get up close and personal with an Italian family on a level you may have never imagined on your trip!