Help with Berlin plans

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:06 AM
chris

Help with Berlin plans

We are planning a 2-3 day trip to Berlin over the Christmas holidays. Would appreciate any itinerary suggestions as well as hotel suggestions. We want to be in a good location so that we can make the most of our short trip. We have heard that we should stay in the eastern section. Any thoughts???

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Ben Haines

Since I don't know your tastes it's hard to advise you: you won't see everything in two or three days. You'll find notes on sights in http://www.berlin.de/home/English and events lists in http://www.BerlinOnline.de/kultur/tip_magazin/kalender/.

The major attractions, reading from west to east, include the palaces at Potsdam and Charlottenburg, the museums at Dahlem and Charlottenburg, the Brandenburg Gate, the museum at Checkpoint Charlie, the Museum Island museums, Unter den Linden, and the central synagogue. But if you wanted to think more about the Nazis, for example, you'd try the House of the Wannsee Conference, the Olympia Stadium, and the Topography of Terror.

You're right to look for a well-placed hotel. This may be in the west, centre, or east: the only issue is that it must be near a station on the main Stadtbahn: Charlottenburg, Savignyplatz, Tiergarten, Bellevue, Lehrter Bahnhof, Freidrichstrasse, Hackescher Markt, or Alexanderplatz. That passes many main sights, and with one change takes you to others.

Again, we don't know your style of hotel. If elegant and expensive I'm afraid I can't advise. But if moderate and friendly I suggest the hotel Crystal, Kantstrasse 144, just round the corner from Savignyplaz S-Bahn (elevated railway) station. A double with bathroom en suite and with breakfast might be 75 US dollars a night. You book with a credit card by phone in German daytime hours: phone 030 312 90 47 and 48. All staff speak excellent English, and the morning manager delights to advise visitors on touring in his city. If you like, do mention my name.

Please write with more detail on your needs if we can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Gregory

Hi,

I juost got back from Berlin last Monday and had a wonderful time with all the Christmas Markets and the sights. The weather was drizzly the first couple of days before bcoming fine on the final day although cold, it was not bitterely so and as long as you dress in layers you should be fine.
I agree with Ben's comments above. There is also the Siegesalle monument in the tiergarten offering good views (280 steps), the Riechstag where you can go up to the new dome and walk up it ( you go through the security search like at airports -the queues were very long sunday afternoon but none existant on Sunday evening.
The televison towers at Alexanderplatz in the east and the Funkturum in the West offer good views in good weather.
Potzdammer platz is brand new with Arkaden a large shopping centre and IMAX cinema.
I stayed at the Berlin Hilton at the Gendermarket (you can walk up the Dome in the German church and get great views) in the easter section ( four Ubahn stops from Alexanderplatz and Potsdammerplatz.The hotel was a little bit expensive but it had a swimming pool , sauna, good breakfast buffet. My room had a bathrobe,flip flop slippers and two chocolate daily which was a nice touch. It is also about 10 mins walk from the Checkpoint charlie museum.
Have a great time

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Ben Haines

Gregory has said things that I ought to have said. I agree with him.

Ben Haines

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 02:12 PM
chris

Gregory & Ben:
Thanks for your suggestions! Do you happen to know where the Ritz Carlton is located in Berlin? We have the possibility of using a certificate for a stay at a Ritz, but we don't know if we should use it for this trip. I had heard from someone else that the Hilton was a good place, so we might just want to hold onto the Ritz option for another location. Unfortunately we will be in Berlin after Christmas, so the Christmas markets will be closed. I do hope to enjoy some nice shopping with my daughter!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Ben Haines

The Ritz Carlton has a website at http://www.ritzcarlton.com/html_prop/city.asp?Property_ID=24&PageNo=9
which says it's on Brahmsstrasse, near the Grunewald. This turns out on the map to be well away from everything. You'd take a bus to Grunewald station, then the S-Bahn to places you wanted to see.

The first stop for shopping is the Ka-De-We store, very near Zoo station on the S-Bahn. It is in the class of Harrods.

Ben Haines

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Linda

I agree with Ben re the Checkpoint Charlie Museum and KaDeWe Department Store on Kurfurstendamm Strasse. Also, the Pergamon Museum with entire ancient ruin, Info Box (good view of old no man's lad and building up of same, near short section of remaining wall), Potsdam.