Help with an extra day in Venice

Jul 18th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Help with an extra day in Venice

My husband and I are taking a 12 day cruise in early September and I booked our flight months ago. It wasn't until today that I realized I had booked the return flight for the day AFTER the cruise ends! So, we'll be 'stuck' in Venice for an extra 24 hours. What was I thinking? I've booked a hotel near the airport (Marriott Courtyard) for the early morning flight out the following morning, and we've decided to visit Murano, Burano and Torcello for the day. I'm looking for suggestions on the 'best' way to get there. Can I use the 12 hour pass ACTV from the airport to get me there and back?
Jul 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM

You can use the pass to take the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma and then catch the vaporetto from there.
Jul 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM

What a shame - an extra day in Venice!

You plan is good. And the buses are fine. Think alos about an hour in the Peggy Guggenheim museum.
Jul 18th, 2011, 01:21 PM

suzski,

great choice for a day trip. to maximise your time, I would suggest getting the boat out to Burano, and then the little ferry straight to Torcello. if you are there at lunchtime, we had a very nice meal at the trattoria di attilla on the main "street" into the little town.

then get the boat back to Burano and spend a little time exploring. plenty of restaurants in the main street.

finally, take the vaporetto back to Murano [get off at the Faro stop] walk around the island, [the glass museum is distinctly optional, IMHO] and get the boat back to Venice from either of the central boat stops.
Jul 18th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks zoecat and Italyagain. And I know....other than feeling bad because my mom is stuck with my children for an extra day, if I was going to mess something up on this vacation, this was the right thing to 'mess up'!
Jul 18th, 2011, 04:05 PM

Once I nearly had a hissyfit because an airlines bumped my husband and I from our plane home. They were offering us a free hotel and meals plus a refund to stay the night- and I was fighting it (on principle) until my DH shut me up and whispered "free night in Rome, what a shame."
I still remember that wonderful extra day.
Jul 18th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

annhig, thanks for the suggestion on which island to do in what order. And Italyagain, too funny! This will be a treasured day for us as well, I'm sure.