Help with 7 day trip to Scotland in late November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Scotland for the first time with our 19 year old daughter. Because all 3 of us have crazy schedules, we can only take a week off in late November. I figure it will be a nice intro to what the country is like and we will hopefully go back later to spend more time. I know it will be cold and rainy, and we will be prepared for it.

We will start in Edinburgh because we have some friends who live there. After that, I am a bit confused as to where we will go next. Up the coast to St. Andrew's and Aberdeen? The middle part of the country up to Inverness and Loch Ness? Or Glasgow to Oban?

I am looking at possibly having us stay at Glenapp Castle or Inverlochy Castle for a night or two-- so how should that affect the itinerary? We want to go to some museums and see some historic sites. We love castles and grand old homes. Stirling Castle looks like a nice place to visit. We want to dine at some nice places and I see that Glenapp has a Michelin star.

I am an Outlander fan so I am also thinking of having us do one of the Outlander tours that will take us to sites that are historically significant such as Culloden.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 05:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I figure it will be a nice intro to what the country is like <<

It would be a ice intro to short days and possibly awful weather. I personally wouldn't pre-plan a rural trip for late Nov. Certainly up north. I'd plan a city centric trip at that time of year. Edinburgh and Glasgow, maybe a night in St Andrews. If the entire trip is 7 days you'll only have 4.5 days free on the ground. Edinburgh+Glasgow could totally fill that much time.

>>I am looking at possibly having us stay at Glenapp Castle or Inverlochy Castle<<

Those two are in totally different corners of the country . . .
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 05:40 PM

Meant to add if you are there on St Andrews Day there will be LOTS of festivities/fun in Edinburgh, Glasgow, East Lothian. Ceilidh, torchlight parades, Saltire Festival, etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 06:29 PM

>>It would be a ice intro to short days and possibly awful weather.<<

OOPS -- that should say >>It would be a nice intro to short days and possibly awful weather.<< . . . but 'ice' might be appropriate too
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

“Those two are in totally different corners of the country . . “

Yes, thank you, I did look at a map. I meant that our itinerary is wide open other than staying in Edinburgh. I wish we could go when the weather is better and I certainly appreciate your advice about making it city-centric. We will do that. :
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 06:20 AM

FWIW, we went to Scotland in early February one year. We went to Edinburgh for a few days then up tp Aberdeenshire. Loved it!!! For us it was a great trip and we had no regrets. There was a big snowstorm before we left Aberdeenshire, but we know how to drive in snow/ice so that wasn't a big deal for us to drive back to Edinburgh as we had a flight to catch. So I am just saying that as long as you are ok with winter weather, it can be a great trip. We stayed at Kildrummy Castle Hotel and absolutely loved it. Our kids were young, elementary age, and were fine there, FWIW.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:01 AM

Sure - one can travel at that time of year -- but for most visitors, driving in snow and black ice isn't the best way to learn about driving on the other side of the road. Now - the weather could be totally fine. But one would not know until they are in country. At that time of year rural B&Bs / hotels don't need to be pre booked (unless maybe in a town with a St Andrews Day festival) so one could wait until they are in Edinburgh and IF they decide it is nice enough, they can always ring up a place at the last minute and go for a couple of days.

mms: Kildrummy Castle Hotel closed years ago.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:11 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
While wintry weather is certainly a possibility in late November, especially in the Highlands, it's by no means a certainty; the chances are much greater that you'll just get gloom and rain and very short daylight hours.

I'd probably opt for staying on the east side of the country rather than the middle or west. There's a slight difference in weather - the North Sea coast tends to be a bit drier and chillier than the west as most of the weather blows in off the Atlantic. So if you want to travel a bit out of the central belt, I'd say that Fife would be my target, or possibly the coast east of Edinburgh as far as, and maybe even into, Northumberland. Places like St. Abbs, the Holy Island and Bamburgh can be quite evocative in the late autumn or winter; the driving is quite easy and there are castles and picturesque fishing villages galore along the route. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/x7GvswTLYBE83zsY9
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:12 AM

If it's late late November then you will also be able to take part in super cool Christmas Markets in either Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:38 AM

>>I'd say that Fife would be my target, <<

If you really want to get into the countryside, Edinburgh and Fife would be my choice too -- short distances involved, and much more than enough to fill the few days you have on-the-ground
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:47 AM

janis--That is too bad that it closed. Did you ever visit it? I would still encourage visitors to travel around if they are comfortable with it. That is why I specifically mentioned that we are used to driving in snow/ice so that the OP could decide for themselves whether that was an option or not for them.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all for your helpful suggestions! They are very much appreciated!
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

deniseoliver86 I am really hoping that they will be open then! I have been to Christmas markets throughout Germany and Switzerland and I love them!
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo janisj So thrilled to have you two experts weigh in. Thank you!
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 01:43 PM

>> Did you ever visit it?<<

Yes -- years ago an extended group of 16 family members on a private tour exploring family connections/history stayed there for 4 nights. Loved it.

I think it reopened for maybe a few months (still a long time ago) but the new owners apparently had bigger ideas than pockets . . .
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 03:08 PM

Janis—we were there for 4 nights as well. I remember the first day when another guest saw our kids and you could tell they were worried that the kids would be an issue. Later on that guest told us what nice kids we had lol. We had room service for the kids and then we dined downstairs. The hosts were amazing! On our last day we had to leave before breakfast so they said they would put some things out for us. OMG they had a full spread for us! They were so gracious. We drove back to Edinburgh in a near blizzard.