Reload this Page >

help! which arrondismnet 7eme or 15eme

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 01:25 AM
Amber Quinn

I will be travelling from UK to Paris for 2/3 nights in Aug 2001 with my 10yr old son. I do not want to travel too far to see major sights. Have identified two hotels, D'Orsay next to musee D'Orsay (7eme,very central but at the limit of my budget) or the Eiffel Cambronne (15eme,a best Western) <BR>can anyone comment on either the locations or hotels. Thankyou Amber Quinn.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 03:11 AM
xxx

Author: Amber Quinn ([email protected] ) <BR>Date: 4/29/2001, 5:27 am ET <BR> <BR> <BR>Message: Oops Email typo in address- should be [email protected] <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 03:17 AM
s.fowler

You can't beat the location in the 7th -- if you could state your budget we could let you know of similarly located hotels that cost less. For example: in the past I have recommended the 3 star Hotel Bersoly's in that neighborhood which is under %120 USD a night. Down the street is Hotel Lille-- less charming but a two star and cheaper.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Lori

Amber, <BR>We just stayed at the Relais Bosquet Hotel in the 7th Arr. While our room was the largest (and thus more money) they have smaller rooms as well that are less. Do a search and you can read my detailed account of this hotel as I posted it yesterday. You cannot beat this location -- no way!! Your son would probably enjoy the food stalls on Rue Cler (around the corner) as well and it makes for cheaper eating if you have a limited budget too. Incidentally some of the rooms have a/c, that could be a factor in August for you too.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Sue

Amber, I think D'Orsay is much better located for foot travel to sites. Close to Metro and RER, too. Not only is the Eiffel Cambronne out of the way, all the Metro stops there are up in the air (don't ask me why that bothers me). (Also I think it is an Ibis, rather than Best Western.) <BR> <BR>As for the Relais Bosquet, I do like the rue Cler area (and the looks of the Bosquet), but its summer rates are 1050FF for a standard room in high season, which is way over your (and my) budget. <BR> <BR>Another way to save on money is not to eat in the hotel--hit a patisserie and go to a neighboring cafe.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Betsy

I agree with the other postings regarding staying in the 7th. There are many good 2* hotels in the area and if you want recommendations or info on those I would be happy to give it to just e-mail. The 7th is talked about a lot on the board. I like it for its central location without being in the middle of neighborhoods with big nightlife, (they're close but not under your window). The Rue Cler is Paris the way many think of it and you are right near the Eiffel Tower. Another area with good but less expensive hotels is the Marais (4th). I like August in Paris, it is less crowded, but it can be very hot so consider that when booking a room. If you'll be having open windows for air a street side room may not be a great choice for night. <BR>Have Fun! <BR>Betsy

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 09:16 AM
lisa

I stayed in the 15th once and did not mind it. Yes it is less central than the 7th but the metro takes you anywhere, and we enjoyed walking. The 15th is less touristed than the 7th and you can often find better rates. However, if you can afford it, it is better to be as central as possible, so I would go for the 7th if you can. For some reason I thought I had read someplace that the d'Orsay had changed hands and had a new name (starting with "S"?) but perhaps I am mistaken about that.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 09:18 AM
lisa

By the way, for my upcoming trip to Paris at the end of May I had found a very good rate of 580 FF for a double with two beds at the Hotel Derby Eiffel (another Best Western in the 7th), but ended up booking elsewhere in the 6th for a single with a better rate. You might want to check out the rates at the Derby Eiffel if you haven't already. Good luck.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Christina

I would also vote for the 7th, partly for the hotel. I also believe that is an Ibis hotel and decent for a modern chain, functional 2-star hotel (Ibis Cambronne Tour Eiffel); it is a very large hotel and no one would call it charming, although maybe good value and predictable. I stayed in the 15th one summer and the metro stops in the air kind of bothered me, too; it just took a lot of time going up and down the stairs all the time, seemed to take more time than when they are underground and was a little scarier due to the open stairs. I think the d'Orsay is nicer as a hotel, also, from what I've seen (I've seen it listed as a 3-star, not sure if that's accurate or not), but is a closer location. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Hotel d'Orsay that you should seek something else; it has good customer comments on www.paris.org (see Residence Orsay), and looks pretty nice to me and is very reasonably priced (I've seen rates at 600-800F on www.123france.com).

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Cathy

<BR>Like everyone else my vote goes to the 7th.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Donna

The Ibis Cambronne and Eiffel Cambronne are two different hotels. The latter is a much farther walk from the metro stop.

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Amber

Thanks for your advice, have plumped for the D'Orsay ( to recuperate) after two nights at Disneyland!!! <BR> <BR>Got a great deal at UK travel agents inclusive of breakfast- I find this useful to set my son up for the day useful etc. Thanks again some really great tips on the site.

Old May 9th, 2001, 02:05 PM
a sadowski

A Lori posted a message to Amber and mentioned Lori's review of the Hotel relais bosquet in paris 7e. I cannot find her review when i search for <BR>it. Lori seemed to cover up her e-mail address. Can anyone find the review? Does anyone have Lori's e-mail? I am staying at that hoetl in June and i would like o read the review. Merci <BR>Tony S

Old May 9th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Lesli

I found the review by doing a search for "bosquet." (Search function does not seem to like mulitple words very well.) See: http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...ity=&active=5&