Search

Help, Westin Paris or Le Meriden Montparnasse

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, Westin Paris or Le Meriden Montparnasse

Hi
I am using my points to stay at one of these places and do not know which one to pick. I save points with the Le Meriden one but wonder if it is nice and how is th neighborhood. I am traveling with my family and want to not worry about the hotel I choose. I have stayed at the Westin and loved it. Thank you for your time.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

Lots of folks report getting the Meridien Montparnasse on Priceline for about $100/nite dbl.

The neighborhood is safe. The hotel is close to a metro and the Montparnasse train station.

> I have stayed at the Westin and loved it.<
Then you will know the neighborhood and what to expect. There is much to be said for becoming a regular.

I'd go for the Westin.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Hi Mom--
Stayed at the Westin in November. We are also big on saving Starwood points.
We really enjoyed the stay.
The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated.
Service was superb!
The neighborhood is very centrally located but it is strictly business--Place Vendome, the Louvre, and Rue St. Honore are right there.
You have to walk a little bit for the "Parisian charm" of the Ile de la Cite or the 6th arr.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM

I've stayed at the Meridien Montparnasse on business. It wouldn't be my choice to stay there-my room was very small, almost claustrophobic.

But, I have no membership with the Meridien and on a corporate rate was probably given a standard (very)room. It's location is fine--quite busy with lots of services and restaurants. The hotel itself is very large and very busy, catering in part to business meetings.

The new Westin looks lovely. As you've stayed there, know it and love it, I would opt for it. Great location.

Old Dec 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM

We stayed at the Westin with Starwoods points a couple of years ago. The room was very nice, and the location can't be beat. We overlooked the Tuilleries with the Eiffel Tower in the background. The Louve and the D'Orsay are very close. I would suggest that you not eat breakfast at the hotel. It was very expensive.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 10:23 AM

I think the Meridien by Montparnasse may still have some un-renovated rooms.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the answers. Yes I loved the Westin but thought it might be nice to stay in a quaint neighborhood. Is it a quaint neighborhood in Montparnasse? I know what to expect from the Westin, just hoped everyone would have loved the other area and hotel. Drats.

I know I should spend the extra points it just kills me! Keep those opinions coming.

thank you!!
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM

The area around LMM is most definitely not quaint. There are some fairly modern buildings, the modern train station, a bus loop, a non-quaint shopping area, among what I remember. You'd be fine there, but it's not anyone's vision of a cute little Paris neighborhood.

I was perfectly happy with my room there (I think mine had been renovated - this was in 2004), but if you are used to the location and standard of the Westin, I suspect you would be disappointed.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 04:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
"Quaint" is within walking distance of both places. However, Montparnasse is a better location of you want a nice street market (Edgar Quinet) and some less touristy cafés and restaurants.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Agree with most of the above. Le Meridian Montparnasse rooms can be pretty old looking (and by that, I don't mean quaint) and the surrounding block is full of traffic. But go off a few streets in any direction, and there are some good neighborhoods and restaurants.
That said, here are three big pluses:
1) You can take the Air France bus from/to CDG with no problems
2) You are a spit from Bon Marche and all its food glories
3) You can easily hop a train for some great one-day trips

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Any other Paris choices in the points program?
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM

There is Le Meridien Etoile also. That's on the northwest edge of Paris, and I can't say I've ever been there, so can't comment.

The Sheraton by the airport might be all right for the final night, presuming you are flying out.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM

It might be interesting to know that the Méridien Montparnasse was built as the Sheraton Paris. Sheraton deserted the city about 15 years later and sold the building to the Méridien chain (which was owned at that time by Air France -- that explains why the Air France buses have bus lines that go to both places).
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Westin, for its location and great beds and wonderful linens.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM

kerouac, that is interesting about LMM, considering that Le Meridien was then subsequently brought back into the Starwood fold, so is now a sister chain to Sheraton.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Le Méridien has passed through many hands over the past ten years...
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Yes I to think I will be very dissapointed with the Le Meridien. I tried to switch but was told that the Westin had points to use except over New Years where I would have to pay 690 euros for one room and I would only get one room. It would be a queen classic room that I would have to switch to. I do not think so.

I wondered should I switch halfway through my trip?? What a hassel. Thoguh I do love the Westin. I am glad Imade my reservations when I did as rooms are nearly gone for New Years Eve. Anybody? They are giving me a suite (that looks like a Hampton Inn room)to accomodate my kids.

I do have a question....where should we eat on New Years eve? Anyone know of good restaurants that are not super high priced and what is open on New Years day?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Since you're really changing topics you might do better to start a new post about "Paris dinner NYE and NY day"...
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Hey Mom

We stayed at LMM about two years ago. We were upgraded to a huge room - even by American standards. Two queen beds, desk, two dressers. Table and chairs by the window. Separate toilet and bidet. Very nice shower (great water pressure.)

It was, however, one of the UNrenovated ones and the beds were hard.

The surrounding area is not your "typical" Paris but within easy walking distance of many things. Lots of smaller cafes and quick cafes for a brioche or some such.

Since it was free (using points), it was worth it to me.

We also prefer the Westin but LMM staff was very friendly and the concierge was helpful.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
mjs

We might see you as we are booked for three nights at the Westin starting on the 2nd unless I change my mind and stay at a small hotel in the 5th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -