Help Wanted on Photo: Florence Skyline

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not seen a request like this here before but am hoping someone can help me out.

I am looking for a high resolution photo of the skyline of Florence, most likely from Piazzale Michelangelo.

I am putting together a photo album for my parents after taking them to Florence and I did not get a picture of the skyline. I would like a photo with high enough resolution to use it in an 8 x 10 page as the back cover. The photo would be for personal use only, in this photo album.

I've looked on the web like crazy and cannot find one that is 1. without people in it and 2. in high resolution.

If anyone here would have one that I could use I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure how best to make the 'exchange' either, but again would greatly appreciate it.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You might try e-mailing Jim Tardio. He's a regular poster here, but I think is a professional photographer. He has a website (with a contact link), but doesn't post all of his photos there. He takes quite a few skylines and I'm sure would have Florence. He's posted links for some of his photos on Fodor's before and they are quite good.
http://www.jimtardio.com/
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Ask the posters of these photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vt_prof...33819/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vt_prof...28843/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/manbok/1814127134/sizes/o/

.. plenty more if you want to search further..
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both!

TravelNut, how did you find these hi-res photos? I'd spent an hour on Flickr searching and all I came up with were small ones.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut...forget it...I found the answer to my question. Apparently I didn't click enough.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know anything about photography (high enough resolution?), but another poster, Tom, has some of Florence skyline that might work.
http://www.pbase.com/trsw/florence2006
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

If anyone ever thought that taking pictures was easy all they need do is look at the two websites provided above...they are simply amazing!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:49 AM

i'm sorry for hijacking this thread ...

travelnut - how did you find those DOWNLOADABLE hi-res pictures on flickr???

thanks!!!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Not sure what res. these are but there are quite a few from Piazzale Michaelangelo

http://picasaweb.google.com/bandaidhand/FlorenceAug08#
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM

<i><font color=blue>&quot;I've not seen a request like this here before&quot;</font></i>

Maybe that's because most people don't have the gall to openly ask how to steal.

Unless the image is labeled &quot;public domain&quot; and/or a server-site explicitly offers its images for &quot;public domain&quot; use, it's safe to assume the image is copyrighted, which means you are required to get permission to &quot;copy&quot; the image. It's dangerous territory to assume that just because you view your &quot;photo album&quot; as &quot;personal use only,&quot; you're automatically entitled to copy someone else's property.

Internet law is evolving and I doubt your request will nudge the attention of a lawyer but seeing your request, written boldly on a board owned by a well-known publisher, is brazen enough to draw comment from me.

Also, it would be rare to find a &quot;high-resolution&quot; JPEG on the internet without some kind of FTP transfer service offered. Many people use the term high resolution when they actually mean larger dimensions. Most people don't know what they mean and just blurt out false information. You can find larger-sized images on the internet but they will always be 72 pixels per inch, because that's the requirement for internet viewing. A 72 ppi JPEG will never produce anything near the 300 ppi quality that's required for a decent print (but the poor quality JPEG may be acceptable to many).
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM

NYCTS, that's a bit harsh. The poster didn't say the photo would be taken without payment. I understood the request as looking for a source for the photo, not asking how to 'steal' it.

I have some nice photos of the Florence Duomo from above the city, but I don't know if they are high resolution.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM

<i><font color=blue>&quot;NYCTS, that's a bit harsh.&quot;</font></i>

Not from my perspective. But, then again, my skin is soft and milky but it's not thin.

<i><font color=blue>&quot;I understood the request as looking for a source for the photo, not asking how to 'steal' it.&quot;</font></i>

Maybe you're not an artist. People interpret words differently. Mdtravel never mentioned a budget. The issue is, few people think of taking an image from the internet as stealing. We call it the internet age where everything is for free. This is a serious matter for artists who earn a living by creating something that others can't.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM

<i>&quot;Maybe you're not an artist. People interpret words differently. Mdtravel never mentioned a budget. The issue is, few people think of taking an image from the internet as stealing. We call it the internet age where everything is for free. This is a serious matter for artists who earn a living by creating something that others can't.&quot;</i>

@NYCTS: Well, I am an artist and I think you're being way too harsh - not that I disagree with your sentiments, but as the saying goes, &quot;&quot;you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.&quot;

I've found several pieces of my work included in YouTube videos - which I ignore as there is no profit motive. I've also found images of my work used in people's jewelry and on t-shirts - and I request that they stop.

But rather than angrily howling &quot;thief!&quot; and threatening action with lawyers, I've found it better to gently educate people about copyright and suggest sources for free or low-cost royalty-free images.

So, mdtravel, you may find a Fodorite who is willing to share a photo - but if not, check out http://www.istockphoto.com/ for low cost artwork (in this economy your patronage would be appreciated!).
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM

<i><font color=blue>&quot;But rather than angrily howling &quot;thief!&quot; and threatening action with lawyers&quot;</font></i>

My goodness. Did I actually do that? (I don't think so.)

<i><font color=blue>&quot;you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar&quot;</font></i>

Catching flies has never been my desire. I prefer to swat them dead. I would never accuse mdtravel of being a fly. It's an unflattering analogy to say the least. And I certainly didn't call anyone a thief (if you read my words with care).

When it comes to certain subjects, I state my passions. I'm not passive or complacent on the subject of copyright protection and internet theft. The growth of these norms is extremely dangerous. More people need to speak out and do so with much harsher words.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Hi, mdtravel... Feel free to use some from this set if you like..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/manbok/...7603188106378/
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:55 AM

My photos of Florence are at: http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/ital...tuscany_umbria

If you find one you'd like, post your email address and I'll send you a higher resolution image.

Re the discussion on &quot;stealing&quot;, some of us who post our photos don't mind if others use them for personal pleasure. I would be very upset if someone were to use my images to make money and I had no knowledge or had not consented to it. But I've had several people ask to use certain specific images for certain purposes and in most cases I've given my permission, and when needed, sent them higher resolution images. I'm flattered when someone can benefit from my photographs. Passing off my work as someone else's without my knowledge or consent is different.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 06:04 AM

Ann, sometimes I forget how much I enjoy your exceptional work. Thanks again for posting these shots.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 06:08 AM

These are the terms of use on Flickr.com, nowhere does it forbid persons to utilize a posted photo for personal use. It does forbid claiming another's photo as yours, or participating in commercial activities with Flickr images. If I were a professional photograher, I wouldn't be posting my images on a free public site, unless I intended to share them. It is a courtesy to contact the poster and ask them if you can use their photo.

http://www.flickr.com/guidelines.gne

If you want to see the largest image posted, you click on a photo, then click on the &quot;all sizes&quot; icon in the upper left corner. The next page shows you all the possible file sizes that were loaded for that image.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM

<i><font color=blue>&quot;If I were a professional photograher, I wouldn't be posting my images on a free public site&quot;</font></i>

In a perfect world that would make perfect sense. We don't live in a perfect world.

Photography is an expensive career. The equipment costs can rival a doctor in private practice. Most professional photographers can't afford insurance and many can't afford to show their work on their own website.

I know someone who recently got his first spread in Vogue. He can't afford health insurance and he shares a one-bedroom apartment with two other people. Vogue editorial continues to pay a $250 photography fee. That's it, not a penny more. In NYC, $250 doesn't cover cab fare for a major fashion shoot. Most photographers absorb all the losses for those highly coveted editorial jobs. No wonder none of them can afford to feed their families or live alone.

San Francisco professional photographer, Lane Hartwell, a former Flickr user, has an interesting lawsuit pending. She knew how to protect herself and used Flickr to advertise her talent and still got burned. She can't afford her lawyer but she was smart to get one.

<i><font color=blue>&quot;It is a courtesy to contact the poster and ask them if you can use their photo.&quot;</font></i>

The courtesy of making contact is a nice way to show respect. Most people don't realize how inexpensive an 8x10, high resolution image can be. Does $40 sound like a greedy fee? You'll never know until you ask. I encourage everyone to be courteous and, at least, make a modest offer. The worst that can happen is someone will say no thank you.

<i><font color=blue>&quot;I would be very upset if someone were to use my images to make money and I had no knowledge or had not consented to it.&quot;</font></i>

You never know when it will happen. It's extremely difficult to protect any image once it appears on the internet. It doesn't matter if your image is hosted by a free site or you pay for your own hosting. Learning to watermark your image and keep the dimensions small is the best protection photographers currently have, which explains why it's difficult to find large dimensional images. Some Flash sites make it very difficult to swipe images now.

High resolution images are another story. For 300 ppi, the best choice for quality, you need to contact the owner. Sending 300 ppi files typically requires an FTP transfer service or the image has to be burned to a CD and sent by mail. Most email services have a 10mb limit and an 8x10, 300 ppi TIFF file can easily exceed 10mb (depending).

<i><font color=blue>&quot;some of us who post our photos don't mind if others use them for personal pleasure&quot;</font></i>

It's not difficult to make your kindness known and communicate privately. There's a proper way to help someone without exposing your generosity to the world and leaving yourself open and vulnerable to thieves. After all, the internet is mostly an anonymous world.

My goal is to see everyone happy and treated fairly. I have a particular soft spot for the artists among us.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

&quot;My goal is to see everyone happy and treated fairly.&quot;

Provided that you are the one treated fairly apparently. Your opening line of your first response is quite harsh and not only implies but states that I am trying to steal someone's artwork or photography. That's quite an accusation, and a completely uninformed one at that.

I trust you cherish those who call you friend Snob...they are an enduring, though likely very small, lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -