Help w/Baby Present for Travelers

Oct 25th, 2000, 06:17 AM
Lori

Help w/Baby Present for Travelers

Some good friends of ours have had their first baby and we'd like to buy then a present that will make it easier for them to travel as that has been one of there great loves, whether it's a safari, scuba diving, or just hiking near home.

Looking for recommendations including the brand name/model of something as since we haven't experience this we have no idea. Initial thought was one of the backpack-like baby/toddler carriers, but don't know if those are good/useful and what to look for.

Major bonus points for ability/information for purchasing the gift on-line as we don't have a great selections of stores near us!

Appreciate your input (and hope that I'm not breaking any forum rules w/this inquiry)

Thanks,
Lori

Oct 25th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Dawn

We use a Baby Bjorn (basically it is a snuggly type carrier). I'm not sure where you can get it online, but I would think you could check baby sites and easily find one. Only one warning.., be careful of the imitations. I have talked with a lot of traveling parents and the other just don't seem to be as comfortable. Good Luck!

Oct 25th, 2000, 06:31 AM
ilisa

There was some discussion recently on stroller vs. baby carrier, and people recommended both. Combi has some very lightweight travel strollers that fold up compactly. I just bought one yesterday online at babystyle.com. The Combi Travel Savvy 2100 usually goes for $75. Babystyle has it for $54.99, but there is a $25 coupon (code: 25FREEDEAL). I got it for $34. A gift that won't break the bank. Another gift would be a diaper bag/backpack to be used especially for travelling. There are some great ones out there. You can then fill it with items that would make travelling with a baby easier. In case anyone is wondering, I don't get a single thing for referring Lori to the website or giving her the coupon code, which was emailed to me. I just thought it was a great deal.

Oct 25th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Florence

For safari of hiking, how about a water filtering unit ? A Katadyn hand filter will render any water safe and drinkable anywhere in the world, even for a baby bottle, it's recommended by health autorities for travel in the 3rd world (and no, I don't have any connection with Katadyn, I use one when I travel).
Check for example:
http://www.freshtracksmaps.com/water-katadyn.htm

Oct 25th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Cindy

The best travel-related baby items we used were a portable playpen/crib, a backpack carrier (babies outgrow snugglies very quickly), a booster seat, a jog stroller. As you can see, these ideas are all for when the baby gets older. Fewer people are likely to think far ahead and give these items to a newborn, so maybe there won't be any gift duplication. If they live near a cold climate, a snow suit or other full-body cold weather wear is very helpful (size 6 mos and up).

Oct 25th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Mom

Give them a certificate for a week-end of babysitting during the baby's 1st year, and for a week each sometime after the baby's 1st and 2nd birthdays.