Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help us decide on our Belgium trip itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying in and out of Brussels, and will be in Europe for 9 days, starting Tuesday June 10. We have the first few days planned, spending 1 day in Brussels, 2 in Brugge and 1 in Antwerp. We will probably spend an afternoon in Gent as well. This will all be by train.
Here's where the questions come in... We want to rent a car and drive through the Ardennes, for at least 3 days/2nights. Our original plan was to go to Amsterdam for 2 days, then rent a car to be dropped off in Brussels right before we leave. But a 2 country 1-way rental is more expensive. Then we thought, maybe leave Amsterdam for another trip and have a more slow-paced trip through Belgium.

My questions:
* Is Amsterdam a must-see on this trip? We do like architechture, art, and atmosphere... It's also nice to have variety on a trip.
* Any hints on good rental car deals? Autoeurope was the best we found so far, but not as low as I had predicted ($E50/day)
* Would it be crazy to drive to Amsterdam? Any good tips for parking overnight near town?

Thanks so much for your comments!!!

Chrissy
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:43 AM

Chrissy, As much as I love Amsterdam, I would leave it for another trip. Two days with travel doesn't leave much time. Driving in Amsterdam is a real pain besides. If you must have a taste of Holland you might consider a day in Maastricht instead.
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:47 AM

I agree with Dutch, as great as Amsterdam is. I took the Ardennes car trip in 2001 and it was the most memorable part of our three week trip. It's worth spending the time there and leave A'dam and the rest of the Netherlands for a time when you can enjoy everything that country has to offer.
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts! Any pointers on spots to hit in the Ardennes? We have lots of possibilities, and are trying to narrow things down... Not too much on this on this forum.
Chrissy
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:54 PM

I agree with the previous posters. If you want to squeeze in a taste of Holland, I'd suggest driving to Delft - neither as far nor as "messy" by car as A'dam, a city you don't really have time for if you do the Ardennes (which you should do!) La Roche en Ardennes, Bastogne (mostly for the WW II museum there), Malmedy, Durbuy, and Stavelot are all towns I remember fondly and which would merit consideration. Don't miss the American Cemetery near Eupen, just west of Liege (name escapes me right now, darn it.)
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:57 PM

Another Dutch town I haven't explored myself but which always gets raves is Maastricht - so far south that it should really be in Belgium, and that much easier for you to hit on an Ardennes ramble.
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:17 PM

I would mention the same places as Russ. I would also suggest a side trip to the Orval brewery/monastery in the southern part of the Ardennes.
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:17 PM

I'm Belgian and I think Russ' suggestion of towns to visit in the Ardennes is just perfect.
If you travel to the Malemedy/Stavelot/Eupen area (which is also very nice in terms of landscape, the hilly Hautes Fagnes) the Dutch town of Maastricht is only 50 km away, and so is the German town of Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle), the imperial city of Charlemagne.
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:32 PM

In the Ardenne, the area around Couvin is very nice. We were there in February, it was snowing and the locals helped us find accomodation. We stayed in a 16th century coach house which is generally a b&b in summer. The beer is great (Belgian is the best beer! even if you don't drink beer)
Skip Amsterdam. Drab. We stay in Haarlem in Amsterdam, because it is easy to catch the train, park the car, rent bikes etc. The dutch food is bad, overpriced and the architecture is not so exciting. The Netherlands is for working not visiting.
1 day in Brussels is not enough. It is a far grander city than Amsterdam. The architcture is great, the museums are good, (the music museum is fantastic!) Parking in Brussels is easiest if you just check out the public facitilities before you arrive. If you are not comfortable driving in Europe, maybe Brussels would be tough to drive.
The area around Brugge is nice. We prefer to arrive and find accomodation. I cannot remember the name, but there is a logis 1/2 block from the main square that is great! The Logis in France/Belgium/ Luxembourg offer GREAT food with lodging at a good price. Otherwise Brugge is the only place I have ever had an shockingly bad meal in Belgium. If you must see Holland you can drive over to Zeeland (ferry) and visit easily, or just go up and have lunch in Sluis. (When I was there two summers ago they were having an American/Budweiser festival!) Brugge is very easy to arrive into the center and find accomodation. There are large public car parks where you can leave your car for the duration. Good luck.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 05:40 AM

IMO, Dutch food is not the world's greatest, but the various ethnic restaurants are. And they are not overpriced. The Dutch architecture - whether Golden Age canal houses or modern Rotterdam fanciful - is terrific. Anybody like art? How about cafes? The Netherlands is for visiting, again and again!
That being said, Amsterdam is a bit out of your way. I second the Maastricht suggestion. See if you can make it to the Belgian town of Tongeren (between the Ardennes & Maastricht) on a Sunday morning - one of the best antique markets in Europe!
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:19 PM

Another very picturesque town just across the German border is Monschau. It has some very beautiful timber-framed houses.