Help! Travel from Heathrow to Sheffield

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone provide me with detailed directions on getting from Heathrow to Sheffield? I have gotten myself confused with the English train systems. Is it manadatory to book ahead? thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:27 AM

There is always more than one way of doing a journey. The simplest would be to get the Piccadilly Line tube from Heathrow to Kings Cross St Pancras, then a train to Sheffield.
You do not need to book train seats ahead, but it can be expensive to buy a ticket at the station immediately before travelling. There are cheap tickets which are limited to specific trains: if you miss it, you have to buy another ticket for the next train. These fares are most readily obtained for travel at off-peak times; at peak times, there may be no cheap tickets available. Try looking at the London-Sheffield options on www.nationalrail.co.uk or on www.midlandmainline.com.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:09 AM

You might want to consider the National Express bus service. From Heathrow to Sheffield departures every 2 hours on the hour taking 2 hours 35 minutes. Other buses leave in between with a stop in London. If you want futher information, go direct to the National Express site.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Why Dont you try the National Express service it goes straight to Sheffield from Heathrow and i know it takes a bit longer around(4hours) but its cheaper than the train and and you dont have to change anywhere. http://www.nationalexpress.com/
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:22 AM

The National Express bus takes 4 hours 20 mins (not 2 hrs 35 mins), according to www.nationalexpress.com. The train journey should be quicker, but the direct bus obviously has advantages.