Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Train or Car from Florence to Belgium.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 01:23 PM
cherie

My friend and I are staying a week in Florence and then a week in Brussels. Should we went a car and drive or take the train? I've traveled by train but never that far. Should we take a night train that we can sleep on? I have never driven in Italy - or Europe but I'm wondering if this would be the trip to drive? Any advice? Thanks

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 01:37 PM
Rex

Train to Milan (or Rome), then fly www.virgin-express.com to Brussels. Save a lot of time AND money.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 01:41 PM
Pat

I would consider traveling by train, especially if you never drove in Europe. Not only will you save the rental car drop-off penalty, but also you will avoid the hassle of learning how to drive in large European cities. Also, you will probably not feel at ease having to adapt to the driving condiitons of Italy, Switzerland, germany, France and Belgium. Al those countries are on the way between Florence and Belgium.<BR>There are night trains with couchettes that are pretty comfortable. I would also consider flying, for example good rates with Ryan Air from Pisa to Brussels South (Charleroi).

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:13 PM
cherie

Pat and Rex Thanks for the advice I checked bth airlines on line and I can fly out of Pisa with Ryan and out of Milan with VirginExpress. Just wondering - do these airlines have good safety records? Thanks, guys.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:49 PM
Rex

Yeah, I guess so, Coupla crashes a week I guess. Why?<BR><BR>Just kidding. You didn't ask about safety statistics along with your question about driving. At least in the US, annual car-related fatalities exceed air-related fatalites by a factor of 10:1 (2001) to 100:1 (most other years). And of course, in 2001, most air-related fatalities were people not in an airplane.<BR><BR>I am big fan of RyanAir, but you should know that their strict baggage limits might tip in favor of VE in this case. 15 kg free and then 4 eur for each excess kg, I think. Plus Charleroi is a bit distant from Brussels proper - - unless it happens to be close to your actual destination in Belgium.<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:16 PM
cherie

Rex - you are right about the stats for driving - flying is much safer - I'm just not a huge fan of flying on small planes. I suppose I'm assuming they are small planes. Anyway, thanks for the tip about the luggage. Have you flown VE? I was pleasantly surprised with the fares.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 06:43 PM
Rex

I have not flown VE. But my flights on Ryanair were or normal narrow-body jets (like 727). and the VE website (as you surely saw) shows a picture of what looks similar to a 727. I think that the newer small jets (Canadair, Saab, Brasilia) have not caught on so much yet in Europe.<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:40 PM
Tim

If your rail pass is still good I'd use it. Driving in Italy is very risky! (side note)Bruges is also an excellent Belgium city. The Mussels & frites are a must. Have fun!!<BR>Cheers,<BR>Tim

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:01 AM
topping

to the top<BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:34 PM
cherie

To Rex - thanks for the info about Virgin Express I can fly for less than a sleeper on a train. Thank you sooooo much for your help. Cherie

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:48 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>The low cost airlines are expanding in Europe as national carriers cut flights to save money ! They are more profitable, and safe.<BR><BR>Ryanair fly new 737's on the London - Languedoc routes.<BR><BR>Don't forget car travel is more expensive here. Gas at USD 3 per US gall, tolls, and for rental cars a drop off fee for returning to a different base (can be quite expensive if in another country).<BR><BR>On the other hand driving gives a better insight to a country.<BR><BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Rex

You're welcome, Cherie.<BR><BR>Others will argue that by not taking a sleeper train you have one more night hotel cost.<BR><BR>I say you get a bed that doesn't disappear when you get to the end of the line.<BR>