help - to go or not to go to the islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we arrive in Athens on the 10th of July from Cyprus and have a wedding in Athens on the 14th evening. Does anyone have recommendations or advice as to whether we should try and hit the islands or not? I would have liked to have spent 3 days on Santorini but don't want it to be a hectic trip with flights/ferries etc. Maybe if anyone has advice for an island closer to Athens, that could be ideal. Thank you so much!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:24 PM

It could be quite crowded, ,especially on a weekend if that's when you would be there (haven't checked the July calendar) but Hydra is a short boat ride from Athens, and it is a lovely island. Corful is also a short flight away.

Or from Cyprus, why not try one of the nearer islands such as Rhodes, and then fly back to Athens. I don't know about transport from Cyprus, I rush to add.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM

You could always take the 1 day trip, with takes in the 3 islands close to Athens, & includes Hydra. Or alternatively, you could catch the short ferry trip across to one of these islands, and stay a few nights. I believe Spetses(not sure if that is the correct spelling)is a nice island to stay, and quite close to Athens.
Just do a website search through Google, etc, for Hydra and the other Sarconic islands.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 06:33 PM

The one-day tour, as far as I can recall, takes you to Hydra, Poros and Aegina (which has a Greek temple). The other island in the Saronic (note spelling) group is Spetsae (note spelling).

I have no idea whether the name means anything to you or not, but Leonard Cohen spent years on Hydra after he left his home town of Montreal. But that was back in the 60s...

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:06 PM

I say GO! You can even get there using Cyprus Airlines to Crete, and from Crete you can take a 2-hour Flying Dolphin ferry ride up to Santorini if you time it right, and from Santorini you can fly or ferry back to Athens. Aegean Airlines has cheap flights from Athens to Santorini as well, so if you've already booked your flight from Cyprus back to Athens you could catch a flight out to Santorini. It's a shame to be so close to Santorini and not go, especially if you have the time and it's something you've wanted to do.

http://www.cyprusairlines.com/

http://www.greekislands.gr/hfd/

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

Decide soon if you want a chance to book these flights.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM

The Saronic islands, though close to Athens are very attractive. As well as Aiyina, Poros, Idra and Spetses, there's Angistri which is smaller and quieter. Incidentally, Spetses is the correct spelling of the island in modern Greek.
Another way of saving time is to travel overnight to Crete. The ferries have good cabins and restaurants, and allow you to leave in the evening and arrive early in the morning (www.minoan.gr, www.anek.gr).
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:20 AM

you should go to SOME island. spetse is a bit longer/difficult time-consuming to get to, although it is not far.

you could actually stay on aegina and commute into athens to see it/ or go to hydra.. spend the night (no cars but donkeys, private beaches. fun place)
or go for the furthest but according to those who have been.. all the way to santorini .

however, athens does deserve SOME time, too.

the three island tour trip does not allow much time on each island.i saw the tourists get off boat.. all go around together, then all sit down, have a drink and wait to get back on tour boat.

i suggest the slow ferry to hydra, gives you nice feel of the other islands on the way, and i spent one night there, went to fun beach, had fab dinner, and left next morning. had a great time.

i did a trip report but frankly, cannot tell you exactly how to find it right now! sorry. i think if you click on my name and search for greece/athens?? you might find it!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM

I think you should go - distance isn't a problem bc all the islands are a quick flight away

As mentioned before - when you arrive to athens - instead of doing anything - just fly out right to an island because you'll already be at the airport so you'll not waste time that way.

You could take a ferry to a closer island but in reality this will take just as much time -if not more in most cases depending on where you'd go and this also limits where you could go. If you fly out you can go anywhere you'd like to in about an hrs time. Even if you ferry to an island close to athens it'll still take about an hour if not more, even on a hyfrofoil - unless you go to aegina - but it severely limits your choices and therefore I view it in the same light as an hr long flight or so.

If you would like to go to santorini then by all means do it -if its something you wanted to do.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:20 PM

Spend your time in Athens. It's a wonderful city, if you relax and take your time to visit.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:02 PM

GOOO!!!
For me July is the hottest month! Downtown Athens is non the greatest place to spend 5 days!
You fly to Athens right? Check the next available flight to Santorini, and you won't regret it!
Check olympic or Aegean airlines for timetable and prices.