Help ! - Short Haul Destination Ideas

May 23rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Help ! - Short Haul Destination Ideas

I know this is probably going to sound a bit vague but I'm after some ideas of where to go for a short haul 7-10 day trip from England in July. OH and I have already spend 4 nights in Krakow earlier in the year and are planning a long weekend in Amsterdam in August so I'm not really after a city break. We're not into sitting on the beach/by the pool all day but would like to go somewhere with a bit of history and culture (day trips etc...) or where we can go walking and where there are some nice restaurants in the evenings. Normally I've plenty of ideas but just seem to be lacking inspiration at the moment so any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!
May 24th, 2007, 12:06 AM

Malta
May 24th, 2007, 12:30 AM

Ascona/Locarno
May 24th, 2007, 12:30 AM

- Norway

- What about a wine region tour in France? We did trips to Champagne and Bordeaux last summer and are planning trip to the Loire Valley and Burgundy this year. Plan to stay a few nights in a chateau/chambre d'hote with a night or two in one of the larger towns in the region. (Check out my trip report on Champagne posted around August 2006.)

- The Mosel River valley (which I think has a lot more charm than the Rhine River). If you like to bicycle, it has great bike paths. Fly into Cologne or Bonn, drive down to the river and putter along, taking in Koblenz, a 2000 year old town with interesting Roman ruins.

- Cadaques and Girona in Spain. Cadaques is a charming seaside town (artist's colony, working fishing village and now a popular weekend destination among Spaniards) close to the French border on the Mediterranean. We stayed at the Hotel Rocamar (during our honeymoon) and really enjoyed it. One of the discount airlines flies into Girona, a charming walled town about an hour or so's drive from Cadaques, so a combination of Girona and Cadaques would work well. You could drive across the border to France for a visit, too. The weather is milder in Spain near the ocean, and there are some excellent walks in the area. If you're not totally opposed to including a bit more city in your trip, Barcelona is also wonderful - my favourite city in the world, actually (which is saying a lot, since I live in Paris). It has interesting history, lively restaurants and some interesting day trips (e.g. to Montserrat).

- Most of Morocco could be really, really hot at this time of year, but you could fly to Marrakech and then head directly (in a comfortable long distance bus) to Essaouira, about a 2 hour drive away. Essaouira is on the coast, so it's cooler. It's more laid back than Marrakech and somewhat less conservative. But there is still a bustling medina to explore, ramparts to walk on, etc. And the food is good.
May 24th, 2007, 12:31 AM

or Weggis