help restaurant reservations?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:26 AM
christie

help restaurant reservations?

Does anyone have trouble making restaurant reservations when the restaurant speaks italian and you only speak English?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Wayne

Are you making reservations by phone? by fax? by e-mail? Your use of the word "speaks" seems to convey that you want to reserve by phone. If this is the case, you need to sit down and write out your request, using some kind of Italian phrase book or dictionary, ahead of time. Then when you call, simply read what you wrote. But be prepared to catch key words in the reply such as "confermata" or "non disponibile" or other potential replies.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:50 AM
bettyk

If you are making the reservation once you arrive in Italy, then perhaps someone at your hotel could assist you.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Wayne

Betty, what an excellent bit of advice that I didn't even think of. Unless christie is trying to go to a very, very popular restaurant in Italy, there is no reason to call before getting there. Once there, the hotel staff can make the call. Nice, simple way to do it, and I'm sorry I didn't think of it.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:07 PM
bettyk

Thanks, Wayne. I have my moments!