Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! PROBLEM GETTING PASSPORT. NEED PHONE # FOR PASSPORT OFFICE IN NEW ORLEANS?

Search

HELP! PROBLEM GETTING PASSPORT. NEED PHONE # FOR PASSPORT OFFICE IN NEW ORLEANS?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:45 PM
RACHEL

My boyfriend applied for his passport back in the middle of July. He sent off his paperwork and then got a response that additional documentation needed to be provided. He sent the information Fedex to arrive the next day. The passport never came. We called the 800 number for tracking passports (having to pay $4.95 by credit card in order to make the call) and they said they were working on it. This is an outside company the government hires to answer the phones. They have no phone contact with the passport office, only fax. He called again on August 22 and they said it hadn't been processed yet and to expedite it would cost $30. He gave them a credit card number and we expected to have the passport in the next few days. It never came. He called again today (another $4.95 charge) and they claim they can't find the package he sent Fedex. This company sent another fax message to the passport office, but so far no one has called to tell us anything. WE LEAVE ON SATURDAY!!! Does anyone have any suggestions? We are now REALLY nervous that we won't be able to make the trip. Please help!!!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Minnywall

Hi Rachel - <BR> <BR>Yikes - you have me scared! My husband got the same letter for our trip in Feb. He just sent in the extra documentation, otherwise I would try to get the number for you. Have you tried seeing if the post office would have a contact? I hope you get the passport in time & that this isn't a common problem! <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Beachbum

Rachel, <BR>How about a trip to your local courthouse? The passport person there should have some kind of number or a way to get an answer for you. Good luck!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:12 PM
ron

A google search would have been a lot quicker - (504)-412-2600 <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:15 PM
janis

I wouldn't rely on this comapany which seems to lose things. It is worth a trip to New Orleans. if he goes in person with tickets in hand proving you are leaving on the weekend, they can process the passport and put it in his hand the same day.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Greg Gallagher

As long as you have original birth certificate and are a US citizen you can get it in a matter of hours. You will have to pay through the nose to get it but hey. Also, be as sweet as pie no matter what the people do. Most have no control over their lives so they try to control yours by making life difficult. Good luck and yes Google.com will help. Punch In passports and then refine your search.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:27 PM
RACHEL

Ron, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the phone-we're calling it now.....

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:32 PM
RACHEL

That number didn't work-it just gives office hours and refers you to the 800 number of the outside company. (the $4.95 a call company) Anyone else have suggestions?

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Kelly

I would go in person to a passport agency, check here: <BR>http://travel.state.gov/agencies_list.html <BR>Good luck.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:42 PM
rachel

Rachel, <BR> I don't think any of the regional passport offices can be called directly, just recordings and endless menus that lead to recordings! <BR> <BR> I'd call Washington, DC (there are live people there)! Also, you could call your US Rep. or Senator"s office and see if they can intervene. If you are near an actual issuing office, you could go there. Do you have the tracking number for the Fedex delivery--can't that help them?

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:02 PM
RACHEL

Rachel, <BR> <BR>We have the fedex tracking number, who signed for it, and when. We have given this info to the company and they have faxed it to the passport office. The problem is that no one from the passport office will call us. If we could just talk to a person we could get something accomplished. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:47 PM
coco

Rachel, <BR> I'd definitely call Washington tomorrow. They actually gave me a direct number for NY office, said to use their name [guy in DC], and then asked me to call them back to tell them how everything turned out. (I had called to ask--as a citizen, taxpayers and voter--if this was their idea of how to run a "business" as it made me crazy I coulnd't speak with a live person.) I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Christina

It might not help but you could try calling the New Orleans Jefferson county courthouse which is also a passport acceptance agency. At least you will probably get a person there: 504-736-6390

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Leslie

Rachel, <BR> <BR>I suggest that you and your boyfriend go in person first thing in the morning to any of these locations: <BR> <BR>New Orleans Passport Agency <BR>365 Canal Street, Suite 1300 <BR>New Orleans, LA <BR>Open from: 8:30am - 3:30pm <BR> <BR>The NOPA has a telephone number to make emergency appointments -- 504-412-2600 <BR> <BR>USPS Passport Agent - Carrolton Station <BR>3400 South Carrolton Avenue <BR>New Orleans, LA <BR>Open from 9am - 4pm <BR>No phone number available <BR> <BR>USPS Passport Agent - Chef Menteur Station <BR>5919 Chef Menteur Highway <BR>New Orleans, LA <BR>Open from 8:30am - 4:30pm <BR>Telephone: 800-275-8777 <BR> <BR>My suggestion is to call the first one I listed, as the other 2 offices are post offices. The first one is actually a real passport agency with knowledgeable goverment employees (possibly the use of "knowledgeable" is a misnomer). Actually, if I were you I would be on the NOPA's door step at 8:00am tomorrow morning and plead stupidity. Bring donuts as a small token of your appreciation. <BR> <BR>Hopefully your boyfriend has a duplicate copy of his birth certificate. You can get new photos anywhere. <BR> <BR>By the way, I found this information at http://travelstate.gov/passport_services.html <BR> <BR>Good luck, <BR> <BR>Leslie

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Tom

Rachel - Had a similar problem a few years back with a passport for my daughter. Call your Congressman's office and let them handle the situation. Mine was resolved in 24 hours. Good Luck - Tom

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 04:49 AM
RACHEL

Coco, <BR> <BR>We tried calling the Washington office but still got the recording to call the automated line. The number I have is <BR>202-647-0518. Do you have another number for a live person?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 07:56 AM
coco

Rachel, <BR> I just called the number I used (202-647-4420) and was out of service. Called the main number at the State Dept (202-647-4000) and was told the ONLY number for Passport Agency is 1-900-225-5674--which I assume is the number you've called for $4.95. This is outrageous--that the only way to speak to someone in the State Dept. about passport is to PAY. Sorry for the false info--even sorrier that this is the way our government SERVES us?!? I'd call my US Representative's office immediately (hope that doesn't cost too much!) and I will e-mail my NY reps and senators of my disgust. Oh, I am so mad on your behalf!!!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:46 AM
RACHEL

Coco, <BR> <BR>Thanks for all your help. Sorry I got you all in an uproar, but it is ridiculous! We called our congresswoman, but she's in meetings until 3pm today. We already made reservations for my boyfriend to fly to New Orleans tomorrow. Now he has to pay for an airline ticket and take a day off from work. Do you think the government will reimburse him? (Ha Ha Ha-just had to find something to laugh about at this point) I just want him to have his passport in hand before he gives them hell! Thanks again......

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:19 AM
RACHEL

Just wanted to let everyone know that calling our congresswoman did the trick. After hearing our story she immediately called the passport office and, lo and behold, they found our fedex package. We will have the passport on Friday, one day before our trip. Talk about cutting it close!!! <BR> <BR>Many thanks to all who gave suggestions

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:45 PM
evan

rachel, <BR> <BR>if i were you i would still go and pick up my passport. if something happens and it doesn't get to you friday, theres gonna be no one around on saturday! that is cutting it toooooooo close,i feel for you! foderites, is this ridiculous or what. that 900 number thing offend the hell out of me. i mean we already have to pay $60 and then $30 more if you want to speed it up. to have to pay $4.95 to check on one of our government agencies to see what is wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -