Help please with christmas markets

Nov 6th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Ben

Help please with christmas markets

Hi everyone: I am planning on going to some xmas markets soon and have several places that I am interested in.
If any on you all have been to any of these markets, will you please let me know what you thought about them.
Since I may not have time to go to all of them, I am interested to know which markets were better.

Bolzano, Bressanone, Innsbruck, Kufstein, Roseheim, Salzburg, and Munich.

Please tell me your experience at any of these markets.

Nov 6th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Judy

I have been to the Christmas Markets in Salzburg and Munich. Also Nuremburg, Augsburg, and several others. I love going to the Christkindlmarkts and have made it a point to visit Germany during December for the last several years.

I haven't been disappointed in any of them. Munich is rather small, Salzburg is very "touristy" but both are wonderful. I highly recommend them. Nuremburg is the largest that I have been to. All tend to have similar displays and yet some uniqueness, as well. I would be glad to answer any specific questions you have. Have fun!

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Ben

Judy, thank you.
I'd like to take you up on your offer.
Since you have been to two of the places I am interested in, will you tell me more about them? Munich and Salzburg.
I guess my biggest question over everything else is, am I going to see the same things at each market?
I am really trying to figure out if it is worth going out of my way to try to get to as many markets as possible.
Salzburg and Munich are the two places that will be the fartherest for me to get to.
If I have to pick one, which one do you suggest and why?
Thanks again.

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Judy

Hi, I would choose Salzburg, I think, just because it is more atmospheric than Munich, although I love Munich. It's in the old town in the plaza by the cathedral, and I will never forget seeing the lights on the cathedral, hearing the bells ring, and then the backdrop of the castle on the mountain behind one evening when I was there. If you're in the mood, you can slip into the cathedral for a little break in the hustle and bustle.

Salzburg was very crowded but has unique Austrian crafts. There were many more decorations made from evergreens and plants, for example, and those added a special touch to the look and feel of the market. I enjoy shopping in Munich, but the Christkindlmarkt is, in my opinion, fairly ho-hum compared to others. You eill find wood toys, nutcrackers, a variety of traditional sweets (wonderful!!), roasted nuts, gleuwein (hot alcoholic drink) and ciders, woolen and leather products, many ornaments (shaved wood and straw are specialties) and small Christmas figures, gift items like jewelry, candles, plaques, and of course the gingerbread cookies on a ribbon (can't remember what they're called.) You're making me wish I were going back again this year! I will really miss it! I hope you have a wonderful time, and if you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

By the way, the Munich market is in the Marienplatz, which is convenient by foot or by U-bahn from the Hauptbanhof; to go to the Salzburg market from the train station, take the special bus that goes directly there. It's well-marked.

Nov 7th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Bob

We have done Munich and the recommendation about using the subway is very good. It is clean and puts you right in the middle of the market with no parking hassles.

My choice on the one to go to would be Nuremburg. It is the largest and most famous. We have been to many of these and will return this year for first time in 3 years. Looking forward to the gluwein!

Nov 8th, 2001, 01:40 AM
Ben

Hi, thanks again Judy. I know what you mean about Salzburg, there was something special about that city that I thought and felt and never had the same impression in any other city.
I have never been there in the winter and can only imagine the atmosphere it will have then.

Bob: thanks to you also.
Yes, I know about Nuremburg, and would really love to be able to go to that one, but it is to far away from where I will be.

Nov 9th, 2001, 01:24 AM
ttt

Any other takers out there?

Nov 9th, 2001, 01:07 PM
ttt

ttt

Nov 10th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Eva

You can do Salzburg and Munich, it?s only 1,5 hour trainride to Salzburg. Munich also has a samller Market, it?s in Schwabing (4 subway stops from the Marienplatz) and it?s more arty and not so touristy as the main one on the Marienplace.