Help please! So. Italy itinerary

Dec 27th, 2001, 06:57 AM
mar

Help please! So. Italy itinerary

Have spent "signficant" time in and North of Rome and would like to explore Southern Italy this May for 2 weeks. Any itinerary suggestions? We've rented cars in the past but are considering public transportation for this one. Any thoughts on public transportaion vs. car rental? Any thoughts on including Sardinia in this trip (have never been)? This is an anniversary trip - so we'd like to stay at some nicer hotels/locations.

Dec 27th, 2001, 07:24 AM
ohoh

I just topped a trip report about Southern Italy that you might find interesting...

Dec 27th, 2001, 10:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Mar, Go to www.travel-italy.com and find their articles and look for my trip report named " Navigating with Bob and Ed in Southern Italy". You can also find it at www.twenj.com It will be very hard to do right without a car. You can easily access the Amalfi coast by train, and then further south from Salerno by train to Sicily, but the real off-the-path sites are very difficult to access. Good luck !

Dec 27th, 2001, 11:24 AM
GAC

As you are planning for May, I would suggest spending as much as two weeks around the Bay of Naples. I would not consider Sardegna, since it is a bit out-of-the-way and deserves two weeks by itself (so does Sicilia, for that matter). There are also numerous lovely areas in the deep south, such as the coastal towns in Puglia (Mar Adriatico) and Calabria (Mar Tirreno), but these might make more sense if you already have some experience with the South of Italy. In and around the Bay of Naples, I would suggest NOT taking a car. The public transportation, by train, bus, hydrofoil and ferry, is excellent and inexpensive. You can locate most of the schedules on the internet. Parking is very difficult, and driving is pretty crazy. The Amalfi coast is spectacular on a bus, but draining to drive on one's own. Were this my trip, I would spend 5 days in Naples proper, to visit the museums and churches. From Naples, I would take day trips to Pompei, Caserta and the Campi Flegrei. I would spend 3 days on Capri, 3 days in Positano and 3 days in Ravello. If 6 days on the Amalfi coast seem too much, you could add 1 or 2 more days in Naples in order to visit Ischia and Sorrento as day trips (or, you could stay 2 days in Sorrento itself).

Dec 27th, 2001, 12:56 PM
John

Hi Mar,

If my wife and I were to spend 2 weeks in the Naples area we would break it down a bit like this.

Naples - 3/4 days (focus on museums/sites/old city/Capodimente etc.. A must before doing Pompeii and Herculaneum)

Capri - 2/3 days (must have a night or two to get the flavor)

So far sans car, but now you need the car.

Amalfi Coast 4/5 days - Positano or Amalfi or Ravello or??? (In any event between Sorrento and Salerno)

Paestum 1/2 days - (Take advantage of beachs and nice weather)

Ad Hoc - Where ever your heart takes you (Caserta, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vietra Su Mare etc)

Have fun

Dec 27th, 2001, 01:59 PM
JIM

I HAVE FOUND THIS SITE SO USEFULL AND INFORMATIVE FOR MY NEXT TRIP T0 ITALY.

HERE ARE SOME SUGGESTIONS BASED ON OUR HONEYMOON TO SORRENTO AND CAPRI.

SORRENTO IS GREAT BASE SINCE IT IS EASY TO GET TO (VIA CIRCUMVESUVIANA TRAIN OR HYDROFOIL). YOU CAN THEN GET TO CAPRI EASILY. IF COST IS NOT A MAJOR ISSUE THEN THE EXCELSIOR IS BEST THEN THE AMBASCIATORI AND BELLEVIEW. THEY HAVE ELEVATOR ACCESS TO THE MARINA GRANDE.

SO MUCH DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU LIKE. THE SORRENTINE PENINSULA IS NOT A HAVEN FOR CHURCHES AND MUSEUMS BUT SIMPLY A RESORT. (AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT WE FOUND IT TO BE) MANY OF MY RELATIVES TOOK DAY TRIPS TO CAPRI, BUT WISHED THEY COULD HAVE STAYED LONGER. WE STAYED 4 NIGHTS AND WERE ABLE TO COVER THE ENTIRE ISLAND. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST PLACES I HAVE EVER BEEN...CLEAN,SAFE,EASY TO GET AROUND,REASONABLE IN COST, ENGLISH WIDELY SPOKEN,UNIQUE SITES...NEED I SAY MORE? WE STAYED AT THE PALACE IN ANACAPRI (EXPENSIVE AT $400.00 PER NIGHT, BUT THIS INCLUDED AN INCREDIBLE BREAKFAST AND SUPERB DINNER WITH WINES.THE QUINTSANNA IS IN CAPRI AND SHOWS UP IN MANY TRAVEL BOOKS, IT APPEARED NICE AND EXTREMELY CONVENIENT.

SORRENTO IS BETTER FOR SHOPPING AND GETTING TO PLACES LIKE POSITANO, DAY TRIPS TO NAPLES AND POMPEII.(MY FAMILY IS FROM NEAR NAPLES AND AVOIDS IT SINCE IT IS NUTS, BUT A DAY TRIP IS A MUST IF YOU ARE BRAVE AND SENSIBLE.) I AM TOLD THAT ANY FURTHER SOUTH IS SOMEWHAT RUGGED AND MORE SUITED FOR THE ADVENTURE TRAVELLER.

ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS...FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME

Dec 31st, 2001, 06:18 AM
Mar

Thanks for your responses. Very helpful. Will post trip log upon return. Best wishes in the New Year.