Search

Help! Peterson B&B or Soggiorno Pezzati

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Peterson B&B or Soggiorno Pezzati

Hello Everyone,
My 22 year old daughter and I are returning to Florence in April. I was all set on Peterson B&B on Ira's recommendation (58 Euros-double w/bath and the owner's e-mails have been so nice). But lyndash's desciption of Soggiorno Pezzati sounds great (I like the location a little better) and they have offered me a double w/bath and continental breakfast for 62 euros. I think either would be fine but now I'm torn!
Can anyone help? Thanks!
-Carol
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:03 AM

ttt..for carolw.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kismetchimera.
Let's try again.
ttt
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Carolw:

1. It is very unlikely that anyone would have stayed at both and be in a position to compare the two.

2. Ira is one of the great Italian gurus on this board and people may not wish to express an opinion contrary to his recommendations.

3. I am willing to go out on a limb and, having looked up the addresses of both and located them on a map, unequivocally recommend the Soggiorno Pezzati as the better location.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM
ira

Hi Carol,

I checked the locations of the two B&Bs at www.mappy.com. They are about the same distance from the train station.

I know I very much liked the B&B peterson.

I can neither vouch for nor deny lyndash's suggestions.

If you click on her name, you will see both of her posts.

You decide.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM
ira

PS,

Have you searched both B&B's on this forum and at www.tripadvisor.com?

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:00 PM
ira

Hi Eloise
>1. It is very unlikely that anyone would have stayed at both and be in a position to compare the two.

You are very right.

>2. Ira is one of the great Italian gurus on this board

Thank you.

>and people may not wish to express an opinion contrary to his recommendations.<

Gosh, I hope not.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:51 PM

All right, Ira. You have struck the terror of God into me, so I have looked at all the comments about Soggiorno Pezzati here and at tripadvisor.

There is one very negative comment on this board.

The remaining comments here and those on tripadvisor are positive.

The rooms at Soggiorno Pezzati are probably smaller than those at B&B Peterson, but I would be very reluctant to recommend the location of B&B Peterson for two women.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Here's a good review of Soggiorno Pezzati here:
http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...ezzati+Daniela

It mentions a fridge in the room, which would be a very nice bonus in my opinion.

Both locations may be 500m from the train station, but the Pezzati is closer to the attractions. In my opinion the B&B Peterson is on the "wrong" side of the train station.

If there are two of you, this is less of a concern, but personally I don't like the idea of staying at unattended accommodation without a phone. I doubt either place has 24-hour service.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
ira

Hi Eloise,

>I would be very reluctant to recommend the location of B&B Peterson for two women.<

Unless things have changed drastically in the last 14 mos, the Via Guido Monaco is a wide, well lighted street in a residential neighborhood.

It leads into the Via L. Alamanni, which is also a wide, well lighted street alongside the train station.

My wife and I walked that route at least 10 times at night while we were in Florence and had no concerns.

She says she would have no problems walking that route alone.

During the day, one can enter the Florence SMN station via the cafe at the back and save a few minutes walk.

We also walked around the neighborhood of the Peterson while we were there and had no concerns at night.

As I said before, I can't comment on the other B&B. For all I know it is a much better deal.

4E is about what we paid for panini and lattes at the corner cafe.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Ira, Eloise and Will Travel for all your input.
Ira, I do value your opinion so I was thrilled and surprised that the Peterson was available. Then, I was also surprised and pleased that Soggiorno Pezzati is also.
And yes I did read reviews and they were almost all positive for both.
So I guess I'll talk it over with my daughter and decide.
As I said, I think we'll be fine in either place-a nice dilemma to have!
And taking this trip with my daughter will be wondeful wherever we stay!
-Carol
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Eloise,

In that negative review you were talking about- I checked the Rick Steves reference and I believe they were referring to the Soggiorno Pezzanti Alessandra in Oltrarno. I don't know if it's related to Soggiorno Pezzanti on Via San Zenobi.
-Carol
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Carol: Sorry if I clouded the issue; I read the post quickly and just assumed it was the same Soggiorno Pezzati.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Eloise and Ira,
No problem, Eloise.

We've decided on the Peterson. (as I posted previously, I really respect you opinion Ira!) I've been in contact again with Chiara at the Peterson and they still have the refrigerator in the common room and now have a coffee machine, tea kettle, free internet in the common room with a lap top and hairdryers! (a necessity for my daughter). My daughter lived in Florence for 4 months last year and with normal precautions never felt unsafe anywhere.
So I think the positives outweigh the somewhat better location of the Pezzati.
Ira, thanks for the recommendation. Chiara has been a joy.
Anyway, we'll be in bella Toscana so what could be bad?!
-Carol
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Carolw, I have a reservation with the Peterson also..after reading ira, our personal Fodor's Travel guru, praising the B&B.
I will be there the first week of June.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:43 AM
ira

>...they still have the refrigerator in the common room and now have a coffee machine, tea kettle, free internet in the common room with a lap top and hairdryers!<

I'll have to stop describing it as "basic accomodation".

I hope you both enjoy your stay there.

You will see, on the station side of Via L. Alamanni, a large white sign perpendicular to the wall.

Under this sign is a store front. You can get coffee, pastries and sandwiches. There is also an internet point.

If you walk directly to the back wall (don't turn) you will see stairs going up. These take you to the back of the train station.

It's useful during the day, because it shortens your walk to the train.

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Ira!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We stayed one night at Peterson's this past September. It's a bed -- no breakfast. You get what you pay for.

While the bathroom was nice, clean/modern, at least the room we were in, the bed was uncomfortable and it was right on the corner of two busy & noisy streets.

I was also a little uncomfortable being checked in/out of the room out of a cigar box -- literally.

I don't think I would stay there again, and I almost gasped when someone was considering spending time there on their honeymoon. Just my personal opinion.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM
ira

>I was also a little uncomfortable being checked in/out of the room out of a cigar box -- literally.<

Budman, even Churchill's cigars weren't that big.

Mrs Ancillotti didn't force us into a cigar box, nor was she in one. We just stood at the desk.

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Oops, didn't mean to confuse. His check in/check out receipt transactions were done out of a cigar box. And there wasn't much of a desk -- maybe a podium?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -