Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help needed - London airport transfer question

Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi, please help me with this dilema:
I will arrive in London at Heathrow, have to spend the night and depart next day from Gatwick. I've checked a few hotel sites and the prices quoted for airport transportation are excessive IMO. Could you please let me know what other options are there?
The problem is that I haven't travelled a lot on my own and I'm a bit scared to take the tube.
Any suggestions wellcomed. Thank you
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM

what times do you arrive/depart? That will make a bit of difference re where you should stay.

But before getting that info -- It almost never makes any sense to use a hotel's transfer services. They are usually very expensive.

Options are the tube (which you say you don't want to do), the train (easy but more expensive, a pre-booked car service (more than the tube of course but it can be cheaper than the train plus a cab on to the hotel), and the HotelLink bus (not expensive but you have to ride around London a bit while they drop folks off)

Which is best partly depends on where you stay, and that depedns partly on your flight times.

And IF the times mean you should stay at one of the airlports - then there is a direct coach between the two.
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
My flight arrives at Heathrow at 11:30am and I have to take another flight from Gatwick at 15:30 the next day.
Because of the long layover I would like to stay in the City - a chance to go out and sightsee a bit. From what I found on the internet, I think I could figure out the "Heathrow - hotel" leg but I've got lost at the "Hotel - Gatwick" part.

I have not booked the hotel yet(I thought I need to figure out first if I can get there and back ;-)) but I am thinking Groswernor Square area.
The car service sounds good. Do you have more details about this or could you direct me where to look? Thank you.
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM

<<< but I've got lost at the "Hotel - Gatwick" part. >>>

Did you check the "how to get to London from Gatwick part of the Gatwick Airport website.

As for which is best for you - knowing where your hotel is would be a great help as there are several ways of getting to Gatwick from "London"
Mar 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm looking at the Gatwick website right now.

So far I've got "Gatwick Express from Victoria station" - looks good.
I think I can stop hyperventilating - There are good options out there at reasonable prices.
Mar 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Since you are leaving fvrom Gatwick in the afternoon, your best bet woulld be to get a hotel near Victoria Station. There are many in all price ranges w/i walking distance. How much do you want to spend?

Then simply jump on the Gatwick Express train at Victoria and 30 minutes later you are in the terminal at Gatwick. Could not be easier. You don't even have to buy your ticket at the station - you can buy it on the train.

Getting in from Heathrow to Victoria would actually be fastest and by far cheapest by tube. You get on at Heathrow, get off at Hammersmith, walk about 25 feet across the platform (no stairs or steps) and get on the next tran that will get you to Victoria.

If you don't want to do that, you could take the Train to Paddington and then a taxi to Victoria but that would be pretty expensive. You could also take the tube from Paddington -- but if you can do that you could have taken it in from Heathrow in the first place.

The Hotel Link might be you next best option. Sort of like Supershuttle in the States. They collect a group and drop them at each hotel.
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both; I hope I've got it figured out.

Will be back with more questions, for sure ;-)