Help needed for a day in Girona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are making all the final arrangements for our trip to Barcelona and Madrid (end of Sept. to Oct 10). We are planning a day trip by train to Girona from Barcelona. My question is, do you think we need to buy train tickets in advance? We would arrive around 10:00 am but have no idea how many hours to plan for a return ticket. We will walk around the old city and are interested in seeing the Jewish quarters and museum. Besides that, we will have lunch and definitely ice cream at the Roca place and just see the sights. Any tips beyond that? As for lunch, I'm thinking about La Fabrica, L'Alqueria and Creperie Bretone. I know they are all very different but they all sound good to me! Any other suggestions are welcome. I have been reading everyone else's trip reports and comments on this forum and am truly thankful for all your suggestions.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 05:47 PM

Girona is a wonderful medieval walled city. If you have the time, I recommend walking along the walls.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 11:28 PM

No, you don't, especially on weekends.

And an afternoon treat -as in a coffee/tea and a pastry- at La Terra -- bit(dot)ly/1ICivxC -- and some more pics here raconsdegirona.blogspot.com(dot)es/2014_10_23_archive.html with magnificent views of the river and the bridges is a must -get a table by the window!

If you want to make your whole day more memorable, consider adding a visit to medieval Besalú -you'll like it!. Check this response of mine in a post from last year: community.ricksteves(dot)com/travel-forum/spain/girona-day-trip-siesta

Enjoy!

PS. At the above links, substitute (dot) by "." Unfortunately Fodor's doesn't allow new members to post URLs....
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 11:41 PM

You don't need to book tickets in advance. I think there are flexible return tickets available.

The arts museum has a pretty good collection, especially Catalan artists. There are some excellent temporary exhibitions from time to time, with curatorship in English. Check their website for the latest ones.

Museu d'Art de Girona
+34 972 20 38 34
https://maps.app.goo.gl/w6XtvwzXPHSxtdHn7

Walking along the wall gives you spectacular vistas.
Muralles de Girona
+34 972 41 90 00
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1nCHJoBjBvnNQPnXA
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 04:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
walkup price is good, check on renfe website but most returns on the day are open.
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Will definitely walk along the wall as I'm all about capturing some good photos. I will look into an open-ended roundtrip ticket. Good info! Any restaurant suggestions? Has anybody used any of the walking tours available? It seems like it's pretty easy to see the sights without a guide.