Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help needed for: 1. Car hire at Kayseri. 2. Route needed from Urgup to Kas or Kalkan. 3. Accommodation and attractions in Konya

Search

Help needed for: 1. Car hire at Kayseri. 2. Route needed from Urgup to Kas or Kalkan. 3. Accommodation and attractions in Konya

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly I must apologise for originally having a rediculous Message Title. <BR><BR>We have sorted out our accommodation in Istanbul, and from there we will fly to Kayseri. We intend to hire a car; we were wondering if Avis had a depot at the airport?<BR>If there isn't an Avis depot at Kayseri, where would the nearest depot be? If we arrange and pay for the hire in New Zealand, using Avis, the rates are $40 - $50US, per day, depending on the length of hire. Is this a good rate?<BR>We have narrowed the accommodation, in Cappadocia, to two possibilities, the Gamirasu Hotel or the Esbelli Evi Pansiyon.<BR>From Urgup we then plan to drive to a town located in the Western Mediterranean, most probably Kas or Kalkan. <BR>It is obvious that we will have to break the journey with one or maybe two stops. We would like to spend some time in Konya; is it feasible to make this city the first stop? What are the 'must sees' in this city? Any <BR>recommendations for accomodation, in the budget to moderate range.<BR>Would it be advisable to have another over-night stop before we hit Kalkan?<BR>Any and all help will be most appreciated.<BR>Richard.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 05:57 PM

We rented our car through Auto Europe and they met us at the airport and took us to their office downtown -- which was actually Sixt. <BR>We stayed at Esbelli Evi and it was a highlight of our whole trip!!!<BR>Stopped in Konya for one night -- and we took most of the day to drive there, also stopping and doing a pretty major hike and had lunch in the Ihlara Valley on the way. In Konya we stayed at the rather modern Hotel Dundar, filled with tour groups, but a nice hotel.<BR>From there we stopped also at Lake Egridir -- a total waste of time in my opinion as it was too close to Konya and there was not much to it. Wished we had driven further, but we had made reservations in advance there and didn't feel we could cancel them (but we probably could have since we arrived before noon). From there we went to Antalya and then to Dalyan. In Dalyan we stayed (without reservations in May by the way) at the wonderful Hotel Assyrian (Otel Azur) which was a cluster of ottoman style octagonal &quot;cabins&quot; -- very nice, with a beautiful pool, an outdoor restaurant that was great, and the owner with his own boat that will take you on the river tour to the tombs and the mud baths, as well as just sightseeing. When we left there we asked for directions to get to the next town and our waiter from the night before overheard us. He was off for the day and going to that town to visit his mother. He ended up driving our car for us there, as otherwise he was waiting for a bus.<BR>We thought Kas was very dissapointing and liked Bodrum more. And we are probably some of the few who actually liked Marmaris with its very busy port lined with restaurants, but just for an overnight.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

<BR>Sinan and Patrick thank you for taking the time and replying to my query.<BR><BR>Richard.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:27 AM

Richard ; The rate for car hire sounds ok. however depending on the duration you may find better deals frm this end. Yes there is an Avis booth there.<BR><BR>gamirasu is little out of town and esbelli is on the outskirts but within the town of Urgup.<BR><BR>If you overnight in Konya, I would suggest you drive to Antalya. You may stay in the old city and drive next day to Kas or Kalkan. If you do not visit Phaselis &amp; Olympos on the way Antalya - Ka&thorn; will take 2,5 hrs drive. Accomodationvise My vote would go to Kalkan.<BR><BR>Have a wonderfull trip... You are most welcome for a cup of coffee when in Urgup where I live.<BR><BR>Enjoy your stay and have a wonderful holiday in Turkey.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:43 PM

See my response under your original post