Reload this Page >

HELP!! NEED YOUR IMPRESSION OF COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 04:45 AM
Frederik Wagner

We are two student atttending the international marketing program at Lyngby Business College. We are currently writing our final dissertation on tourism in Copenhagen, and would like to recieve YOUR impression of the capital, both negative and positive comments would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time and help.
All information will be treated with total discretion and no direct quates will be made. The dissertation will not be published avywhere.
Frederik Wagnre & Britt Jul Andersen!

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 11:07 AM
Kristy Hull

I LOVE Copenhagen!! I went there on my first trip to Europe, 11 years ago. The city is so beautiful, there is a lot to see and I found the people to be really friendly. I remember we were out on the street one day and came across a really big crowd. The street was roped off like for a parade. We were asking ourselves "What's going on?", not expecting that we would find out since we didn't speak Danish. But a man in the crowd heard us and told us all about how it was a holiday and what it was for (to celebrate the end of feudalism), then told us who was passing by in the parade (including pointing out the King and Queen!!). It was a magical travel moment, and we were so grateful that this stranger was nice enough to help us enjoy it!

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 11:56 AM
Arizona

It's a city whose center is small enough to see on foot, where the pedestrian is welcomed and is not an intrusion, and where city and sea come together in a most pleasant way. It's flat enough to be seen on a bicycle tour without any huffing and puffing. Most persons are quite helpful to strangers and speak at least some English. The food is outstanding, but the prices are much too high compared with America. I am talking about comparable -- even identical -- goods. We suspect that taxes in Denmark are much higher than in America. The value-added tax (or national sales tax) made it prohibitive for us to do any shopping along Stroget. Bang & Olufsen products can be bought in America for less than they were priced in Copenhagen. Royal Copenhagen / Bing & Grondahl -- all can be purchased here for less. Many of downtown Copenhagen's historical buildings need a good scrubbing -- industrial pollutants have left these beautiful old structures coated with grime. Yet, all in all, it's a charming city. So few of these are left in this rapidly-industrializing world.

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 07:13 AM
Kathryn

I was an exchange student to Denmark 12 years ago, and have been back to Denmark in 93/94. While I lived for the most part in Rodekro (excuse my spelling - English keyboard) I spent some holidays in Copenhagen. While I love Copenhagen in the summer, with Tivoli etc, my favourite time is at New Year, especially if it snows. The fireworks, parties, and most of all people, are terrific!!

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 07:41 PM
Norma

Copenhagen, Denmark, is a lovely Eurorpean city, unique in its own right. Everyone either walks or rides bikes. Cars are somewhat limited in Denmark, mostly due to their high prices. (A $25,000 car in the U.S. can easily cost double in Denmark for the same car.) Taxes are high, but if you spend enough and gather your receips, the VAT (or value added tax) will be refunded to you. This is also true in other Eurpean countries.

If your time allows, venture to Denmark's second largest city, Aarhus.

As for the food, Danes have a differst look at food then say, Itailians. I lost 10 lbs in Denmark the first week, but I'm also not a fan of lard and herring.

Happy travels!!