Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP...need rail advice from Paris to Frankfurt.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:26 PM
Michael

Will be in Paris the end of the month and I think Iwant to take a train to Frankfurt. How long does it take? What train do I look for online.Should I take the overnight train???To fly is $330.00(USD !!)per Air France. If I was to rent a car...how long is the drive? <BR>Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:50 PM
Anna

Try the Deutsche Bahn website at www.bahn.de or http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en <BR>From what I found, there are frequent trains between Paris-Est or -Nord and Frankfurt. Day trains take about 6 to 7 & 1/2 hours, while the night trains are closer to 9 hours. Pricing information was only partially available, but it should be much cheaper than flying.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:02 PM
Bob Brown

The SNCF web site says that the cost of a ticket from Paris Nord to Frankfurt am Main main station is 108.85 euros first class or 74.24 second class. <BR>The quickest time is 6 hours and 12 minutes. This train leaves at 8:54 and arrives at 15:06, with no change of trains. The other schedules involve at least one change and sometimes 3. <BR> <BR>I think you could drive it much faster. <BR>The distance is about 300 miles and, on the map, it looks like you have a multi lane highway the whole way. <BR> <BR>In Germany at least you could drive as fast as you dared. <BR>If you drive, bear in mind that renting a car in one nation and returning it in another nation usually involves a substantial drop charge. For more than 2 people, renting a car is usually cheaper per person. <BR>I just returned from Germany and we decided that renting a car large enough to carry 3 people was considerably cheaper than bus and train tickets. <BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:16 AM
Ritardo

It's a fallacy to say you can drive as fast as you care to in Germany. Only on some autobahns is there no maximum speed limit - many, such as those in urban areas such as around Frankfurt have speed limits of 100 or 120km/hour. In theory 300 miles may be a six hour drive but coming out of Paris itself you could always encounter a bouchon, or one of the legendary bottlenecks on roads around it. Unless you'll be using the car elsewhere after getting to Frankfurt, go by train.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:01 AM
Bob Brown

I believe the word was dared, not cared. <BR>And my experience this past month on autobahns both within and without metropolitan areas was about like it is in Atlanta. Speed limit de jure = 55; <BR>speed limit defacto = 85, with some bursts up to 90 mph. <BR> <BR>I know around Innsbruck, Austria, we were within the limit and holding up traffic. <BR> <BR>The same happened elsewhere. <BR>I never quite adjusted to doing 150 kph and having people pass me like I was sitting still. I think some of them were doing 200 kph or more. How fast will a big BMW go? 275 kph??

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:10 AM
Help

Is there an easy way to convert KM/h to MPH? <BR> <BR>Michael: You didn't ask, but: What I have done is break up the trip. We went from Frankfurt to the Rhine, down the Moselle, stopping along the way an different towns, then stayed in Trier, going to Paris the next day.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:20 AM
Bill I

A while back, we flew into Frankfurt airport. After getting thru customs, we immediately got on the train to Paris (with a change at Frankfurt station). It took us about 6 - 7 hrs. When we were done in Paris (about 4 days) we took the train from Paris to Munich, which was about 8 - 9 hrs. I enjoyed both of those train rides, they were relaxing, scenic, gave us a chance to talk with othe vacationers & locals. Also, after the hectic & tiring touring <BR>we had done before & after the trains, this was an excellent re-charge the batteries time & we were ready to go at the next destination. One note if you take the train, if you are a smoker or non-smoker, pay close attention to the train car you are getting into. The smoking cars get filled heavily with smoke.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:22 PM
Tony

To convert kph to mph divide by 8, then multiply by 5. <BR>The opposite to convert mph to kph, divide by 5, then multiply by 8. <BR>On freeways it is easy to calculate driving times as you will average 100 kilometeres for each hour.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 02:58 PM
bettyk

I think a much easier way to convert kilometers to mph is to multiply by .6. If you are going 100 km/hour then it is roughly 60 mph. (Using the calculation of the poster above, 100 divided by 8 = 12.5 times 5 = 62.5. Depends on how accurate you need to be.