Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help need an itinerary for a 7 day Italy trip

Sep 9th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

I am new to Italy and have never been there.
I am planning to visit Italy (from San Francisco)in December.I am planning to spend about 5 days and cover Rome, Florence and Venice. I would like to avoid museums unless they are world famous (may be one or two). I would certainly like to see the
"leaning tower of pisa".
I am planning to fly into Rome first.
How far is Pisa, Florence and Venice from Rome? Can I stay in Rome and cover all these places or do I need to checkin to the hotels in those places?

Thanks in advance!
Sep 10th, 2006, 12:48 AM

5 days is a very short time to see these places.

You can do Florence as a day trip from Rome but Venice is a long trip.

Personally I would not go to Pisa with such a short time - it would be wasting a valuable day.

I suggest selecting two cities and spending time there. My recommendation would be Rome and Venice (mainly because Florence is more about art and museums that the other 2).
Sep 10th, 2006, 06:04 AM
ira

Hi go,

Is this part of a larger visit to Europe?

This is a very rapid rush through Italy.

Sep 10th, 2006, 06:12 AM
ira

PS,

>I would like to avoid museums unless they are world famous.<

Hmmmm.

Borghese, Vatican in Rome.

Accademia, Uffizi, Bargello, Pitti in Florence

Accademia, Correr, Guggenheim, Rezzonico, San Rocco in Venice.

Sep 10th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Wow.

You can't even skim the highlights of Rome in only 5 days (even with no museums).

You should strongly rethink this and consider just visiting to Venice OR Florence (w/ day trip to Pisa) OR Rome.

Two full weeks is what you need to do see all four cities.

Sep 10th, 2006, 06:52 AM

gopinathpc, You don't want to spend all of your time traveling between cities!

I would choose 1 or 2, depending on how close the 2 would be. If I remember right, it was a 6 hour train ride from Rome to Venice (last year). When you add in transfer to hotels, etc., it really adds up if you only have five days.

Even if you don't want to do a lot of museums, there is so much to see and experience in each of the 3 cities.

Rome-has much to see and is large. We were able to use the train, metro, and taxi. Day trips could be done it sounds like. (We never did, so don't know what is available.)

Florence-you can walk most places. Day trips out of the city into Tuscany or Cinque Terre (LONG day) would be an option. That way you could experience the city and the country. Or, since Florence is in Tuscany, you could stay a few days in the city and a few days outside the city in Tuscany or venture to the coast to the Cinque Terre.

Venice-you can walk or take the vaperetto. I don't know what kind of day trips are available.

Pisa-I guess I would have to say "skip" it. I was there 20 years ago. While it was neat to see and climb, I don't think I would take the time necessary for you to be able to see it with only 5 days in Italy. In fact, my husband and I have decided to forego it when we go at the end of the month (even though he has never seen it, and we will be close to it).

As you will find out, Italy is wonderful...and you will NOT have time to scratch the surface on one trip. Therefore, choose a place, enjoy it while you are there, and try to return another time.

Happy Travels!
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. They are invaluable. Based on the responses, I have decided to skip Florence. If I
spend 3 days each in Rome and Venice
and a day trip to pisa (to see
the leaning tower)would that be sufficient?
Are there any hi speed trains between Rome and Venice?
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:32 AM
jgg

Three days each in Rome and Venice is doable. The train between Rome and Venice is actually about 4.5 hours. However, a daytrip to Pisa from Rome or Venice is just not feasible. You will find more than enough to do in those cities with out spending an entire day going to Pisa. We have now spent a total of 5 weeks in Italy and have yet to make it to the Leaning Tower.
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM
MaureenB

Call me a cranky skeptic, but is this OP for real?

Sounds like a troll to me:
Five days to see Rome, Florence, Venice AND Pisa?
Doesn't know where the cities are located in relation to others-- wonders if he/she can visit these places from Rome--??!!
Asks about "high speed" trains in Italy.
Doesn't want to see museums unless they are "world famous". (Really, there's no great art in Italy, so you're ok skipping all the museums).

Other fodorites are being very kind to provide thoughtful answers. If these questions are for real, jeez-- get a map, read a book, search this forum, yada yada yada.

Sep 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Hello,

You should take out Venice. The train trip from Rome to venice is 4 hours. Thats a long trip for one day in the city.

Consider doing Rome with a daytrip to Florence. It is 1 and a half hours by train. If you spend the night in Florence you could go on to Pisa from there, but that is a lot of travel. Just stay in Rome and do one day trip to Florence. Try to reserve tickets to the Ufizi and accademia galleries in Florence and well as the borghese gallery in Rome. You can easily spend a day at the vatican museums but if you would like a quick but thorough overview, book a tour with the museum.

Another day trip to consider would be to Pompeii. It is 2.5 hours to naples and then half hour on the commuter train. It is a trip that is easily done from Rome and everyone knows "pompeii".

Hope this helps, Donna