Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help..Navigating Charles De Gaule sounds scary.

Jul 21st, 2001, 09:44 PM
T.Paul

Hi, I've been to CDG airport in Paris. I understand that the train station and airport are combined. My question is how difficult will it be for the first time international traveller to navigate CDG airport and not know any French. Specifically, I have to catch a train to Munich. I know the train goes thru "Gare du Nord", from the airport and then out of town. Simple question...I know..thanks all

Jul 21st, 2001, 10:14 PM
Greg

There are two types of train station at CDG - there is the TGV station at which you can take the fast trains (that do not go to the Gare du Nord), and there is the RER station which is part of the Paris suburban network, and will take you directly to the Gare du Nord. You need to figure out what type of train you have for Munich and where it departs - you may need to change trains. It will not be too difficult at CDG, but you will need to know which station you need to get to.
What does your ticket say? The SNCF website (sncf.fr) may be helpful and the CDG website has diagrams showing the various terminals

Jul 21st, 2001, 10:19 PM
elvira

Here's the ADP website for Roissy (CDG) in English:
http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01_an...Fhome?ReadForm

Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:40 PM
StCirq

Forget whatever you know about CDG and the train station being combined. You can't take a train from the airport to Munich. You have to go the Gare du Nord.You have to take a taxi or the métro - a taxi is a lot easier. Take a taxi there and then get on your train and voilà.

The airport train service only goes to points south at the moment - Munich is of course not south.

Jul 23rd, 2001, 11:35 AM
Christina

I suspect you probably saw an itinerary from CDG to Munich that showed a train from CDG to Paris and then out--I know some web sites do this, including the SNCF one, I believe, even when the train from CDG is only the local suburban RER line. I see no problem taking that RER train to Gare du Nord (it is not the metro at that point, but the RER train line) from CDG instead of a taxi, it goes right there and it shouldn't be that crowded up in that part of town. I think those things are fairly well-marked at CDG, at least to me--directions to the RER or train station.

Jul 30th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Miky

Hi Paul,relax, it's not so difficult. I just had to do almost the same thing, but had to take a train to Metz from Gare du L'Est ( somehow "just across the street from Gare du Nord"). The easiest thing is to take a taxi from CDG. it should not be more than 280-300 FF on the weekend, and 200-210 FF on a weekday (yep, different tarifs). Taxi is safe and way easy than schlepping luggage up and down the stairs in the subway/RER stations. You'll see what I mean when you'll actually get to the train station. Now, about not knowing French, people at the information booths at the train station do know English, all you really have to do is try and learn at least the basics ( Please, thank you, hello...) and the french names of the places you're trying to reach. Have fun.