Help me with purchasing Theatre tickets in London, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be returning to London for 2 days in June and would like to go to the theatre. I've been to London, so I don't need to see the 'big' sights, but do want to spend my time wandering around my favourite areas. SO, with only 2 days, I don't think I want to spend time standing in line at TKTS.

Is there a web site where I can get a ticket at a reduced rate? Should I go to the theatre on the night of the show? I'm not sure what would be the best plan to get a good price on a ticket. Because I only need 1 ticket, I'm thinking the night of the performance might work.

I'd would really appreciate some advice please.
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM

TKTS now has an advance purchase system for some of the venues.

http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale-today/
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If TKTS advance purchase doesn't work for what you want to see -- I'd just go to TKTS in the AM or during your wandering around. Leicester Sq is close/convenient to so many sites it is often just a short detour. The queues are not usually long and they do move fast. Often in the late afternoon, the line is practically nonexistent.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM

The site is down right now, but you can often get some great prices at the Old Vic. My kids went in February, paid $25 each for balcony tickets, but were upgraded at the box office to orchestra for no additional fee.

Kevin Spacey is the artistic director. I believe "Cause Celebre" is playing until about the middle of June 2011.

dave
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM

I forgot to put in the website URL...

www.oldvictheatre.com
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM

You can also get reduced price tickets at the box offices on the morning of the dau you want to go. The line is not too bad at TKTS if you get htere early.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM

www.broadwaybox.com carries a lot of the discounts available (click the button for London)....

TKTS queues are really not that long and it is a myth that you get the best selection early in the AM as during the day some theatres release tickets they are unable to sell and might be available later in the day after they are released.

Also you can call at the theatres. If you are 60 or older, you qualify for senior citizen (pensioner, concession) tickets sometimes only available on the day of a performance for as much as half off or more. It never hurts to call the theatre or stop by to ask.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much. What great information! I will check out the web site but if I don't find what I want, I won't be worried about waiting until I get there. It doesn't seem that the line ups will take up much of my time at Leicester Sq . and since I'm a senior, I may just get a good deal at the theatre on the day of performance.

I have not been on the Europe forum very much for a few years now, but still recognize names.. and the advice is as good,, if not better, than I remembered. Thank you.
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:41 PM

It was my daily schedule to head to Leicester square after breakfast and make my selection for the theatre that evening. I would even use the other booths understanding that there may be a bit of a markup in price. I never waited very long in line at all. I would then do whatever sightseeing I wanted to for the day and return in the evening for the show. I loved getting a show in every day.

If you haven't seen Jersey Boys or Billy Elliott, kodi, I thought they were great.
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM

Hi Kodi,

I was recently in London and can vouch for all the above advice; didn't have to wait more than 15 mins at the TKTS booth, and saw 3 shows over 2 days.
Going to the actual theatre 30 mins before show time also worked well (I paid 19 pounds for 'Priscilla' that way which was unbelievable as they usually go for 4X that), and I paid 20 and 34 pounds for the other two shows from TKTS.

Enjoy London and the shows !

PS I stayed in the Earls Court area which was convenient to get to Leicester Sq. and a whole bunch of other things.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:04 AM

Try to fit in War Horse! It would be best to preorder tickets even if you have to pay full price as it is almost always completely sould out even after all this time. I agree with Math, loved Priscella!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, and great to 'see' you here on my post. I have it in my head that I'd like to see Pricilla, but the others sound great too. Perhaps I can squeeze in one more.

Thanks for the infomation.

Mathieu, I'm having trouble finding a place. Priceline just isn't working for me this time.