Reload this Page >

Help Me Sell Ireland!

Search

Help Me Sell Ireland!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 01:00 PM
Trina

Help Me Sell Ireland!

Now that I've got your attention, I need your help. I've got a group project for a cross-cultural psych class to work on. We've got to decide on one country/culture to work on and give a presentation on that choice. Here's the catch - my group wants to choose a country that has many interesting quirks so that our presentation will be unique. So we decided that we'd do some research on our individual choices and meet back on Wednesday to pick. I chose Ireland because it's the one country in Europe that I've really wanted to study and visit but haven't had the chance. Since my time is limited, I thought I'd come to the spring of all knowledge on all things Europe and get some quick ideas from the experts. So, help me out Fodorites, what are some little known facts that will wow them?

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 08:18 PM
Trina

Moving this to the top in one last attempt to get a response.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 08:49 PM
mimi

<BR>Trina, <BR> <BR>Maybe you didn't get any responses because it wasn't clear what sort of quirks or little known facts you were looking for. Anyway, I spent three weeks in Ireland in April. One of the most interesting things to me was to learn that Ireland, which for many generations has had to export her people to other countries, saw 40,000 emigres return last year alone. This is due to the incredibly strong economy there now. I was there 15 years ago and it certainly is not the same country it was then. Another interesting point associated with the economy is that people from countries such as Turkey, Greece, etc. as well as Eastern Europe are beginning to move there to find work. They call them economic refugees. Ireland is hardly a multicultural society and now they are having to start dealing with that. Whether or not your group chooses Ireland, you definitely should follow your dream to go there sometime. It's wonderful. Good luck with the class.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 04:04 AM
Trina

Mimi - <BR> <BR>Thanks for the tip and the info. The kind of information I am looking for should be associated with the Irish culture. What aspects of the culture distinguish it from other countries. Some topics include language, interpersonal relationship rules, values, social & political institutions, division of labor, aret, music, shared preferences, norms, attitudes, etc. More feedback today will be greatly appreciated! <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 07:07 AM
elvira

The best sources for getting inside the Irish culture are their writers: Brendan Behan (his plays, fine, but he wrote essays that give great insight); James Joyce; Leon Uris (Trinity, Redemption). And no project/paper/thesis about The Olde Sod is complete without a look at the Troubles. Read Bernadette Devlin. <BR> <BR>If you can sum up the Irish in a few facts, you're a better woman than I. Like any culture that's been around for centuries/millenia, there are layers to it, just like an onion. Peel back one layer, and there's another. You've picked a daunting task, but I applaud you. You couldn't have picked a group that's more interesting! <BR> <BR>A Nation Once Again... <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 09:21 AM
Deb

I'm planning a trip to Ireland this autumn so have been delving into all things Irish. You might want to check out the following url...has lots of info including language, history, etc. <BR> <BR>http://members.aol.com/Love127358/ireland.html <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR>Deb

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 07:57 PM
Amita

well, here's a little known fact, or theory at least... I've heard that the ancient Celts originally came from India, and that there are some parallels between Hinduism and the old Celtic religion. I can't find a reference online right now, but it's certainly something that no one would think of. Hope this helps!