Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me narrow down my list of Rome hotels.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Daria

We are trying to finalize our decision about a hotel for Rome in May of 2002. We don't want to spend more than about $200 a night, but we would like something in a good location that is nicely furnished with some charm and, of course, clean. We would like good service and amenities are too. We are not into the run down look. <BR> <BR>These are the hotels we are considering: Hotel Carriage, Hotel Duca d'Alba, Hotel Due Torri, La Residenza, Hotel Locarno, and Hotel Teatro di Pompeo. Any comments are much appreciated. Also, if anyone has stayed at more than one of these and has a preference that would be great.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:51 PM
wendy

We were in rome in August. Friends checked out of the Locarno hotel after one night. they couldn't wait to go back as they had been there years before. they found the area noisy, and were not impressed woth the rooms, I have friends that stay at the Carriage, inexpensive but clean. Any questions, email

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:45 PM
Neva

Daria - I loved the Due Torri. Wonderful staff, great location, cute, snug andcharming room. But I'm not sure what amenities you require -- there's no room service, for instance.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Lou

Check out the Hotel Rex on Via Torino. Not sure if it is in your budget range but it is a very wonderful hotel, great rooms, great breakfast, and good location. You would enjoy it, but it may be out of price range as it is 4 star.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Dan

Daria: <BR> <BR>Please see my post in response to "3 Rome Hotels - Pls comment" below re: Locarno - I stayed there last July. <BR> <BR>Dan

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:04 AM
carol

I haven't stayed at any of these hotels, but can offer some comments on their general appearance and location: when I was in Rome I went over to check out the Teatro di Pompeo, because it has gotten good press, and was quite disappointed in its location on a really dirty and rundown piazza. I wouldn't stay there. I was also disappointed that the Locarno is right off the conjunction of several major streets with lots of traffic. La Residenza, on the other hand, looks like someone's well-kept home and is very attractive. Although it's right off the Via Veneto, it's within easy walking distance of the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Fontana di Trevi, and the Villa Borghese. I'd recommend the Hotel Santa Chiara--lovely location, nice rooms, pleasant staff.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Daria

Thank you all very much for your comments!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Carey

Look at www.casahoward.com <BR> <BR>I think you may like it. We stayed there on our honeymoon, and loved it. It had the best location in between the spanish steps and fountain trevi. It is actually right around the corner from the Hotel Carriage. I have had friends stay there and they loved it. But I would recommend the Casa Howard....Its small, quaint, well kept, the staff is wonderful (there's only one women!) And the Turkish Bath, is to die for! It has to be the best shower I have ever been in!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:54 PM
kam

I can recommend La Residenza. Great location, small but nice rooms, quiet, nice staff, several trattorias around to walk to dinner and a good breakfast buffet. Haven't stayed in any of the others.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:33 PM
helping-hand

== <BR>for Carol -- hotel ideas for your visit to Rome in April. <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 03:51 AM
Kim

Carey - Do you recall if the Casa Howard has an elevator from the ground floor to the room floors? Thanks!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Daria

to the top