Help Me in venice???

Jun 7th, 2000, 07:01 AM
cynthia

Help Me in venice???

Hi. How far is the Venice Treviso airport from Venice? How to get to Venice from there? What hotels are good and cheaper in Venice? Then how far to Brendisi and best way there to catch a ferry to Greece? Thanks a lot.

Jun 7th, 2000, 08:10 AM
elaine

Hi
Sounds like you're just starting to work out your trip. Here are some sources to help you:
Venice Hotel websites
www.ve.flashnet.it
www.hotelguide.ch/
www.venicehotel.com/
www.italyhotel.com/venezia
www.venere.it
www.italyguide.com/
www.hotelguide.ch/
www.travelweb.com
http://hotelsvenice.com
www.italiantourism.com/ I
www.traveleurope.it/
www.itwg.com
www.ciaoitaly.net network of B&Bs
Among the many lower-priced hotels that have been recommended on this forum are the hotel Riva, Galleria, Pensione Seguso, Pensione Calcina, Albergo Casa Peron, Locanda Casa Pertrarca. Or you can do a search on this forum for Venice Hotels and find many more.

I have notes on Venice; if you would like to look at them, email me.

Here are some websites regarding
airport, and transportation from there.
Try http://goeurope.miningco.com/
library/venice and go to the article on Venice airport boat
www.veniceairport.it/
www.veniceinfo.it/
www.actv.it/inglese/preservizi.htm/ transportation in Venice
Sorry, I can't help with Brindisi.
good luck

Jun 7th, 2000, 11:49 PM
deb

FOR AFFORDABLE ACCOMODATION WHY DON'T YOU STAY IN THE CITY OF MAESTRE (10 MINUTE BUS RIDE AWAY FROM VENICE).

Jun 8th, 2000, 04:51 AM
Gina

On my neverending crusade to persuade travelers to Venice *not* to stay in Mestre--no! No! Please don't stay in Mestre. There's no good reason to. Affordable hotels *can* be found in Venice; Elaine gave a good list of resources, and another good place to start is the book "Cheap Sleeps in Italy."

Mestre is ... blech. An utterly drab, charm-free industrial city, with nothing much to do or see. Yes, it's only a short train (or bus) ride from Venice, but if you stay outside the city, you miss the magic of Venice: its dreamy, rosy dawns with the boats delivering the day's wares to their shops. Wandering the streets in the early morning light when you have most of the city to yourself. (Get up early when in Venice!) And, of course, its illuminated nights, with the city sparklingly reflected in the Grand Canal. To really experience Venice, I think you have to *stay* in Venice.

Enjoy this amazing city!

Jun 8th, 2000, 05:52 AM
elaine

I agree about not staying in Mestre.
The parts of it that I saw were ugly, and why give up even one minute of the Venice experience by traveling back and forth, even though it's close?
With some legwork, or finger work on the internet, there must be some inexpensive alternatives in Venice,especially if you choose a less-popular neighborhood than San Marco

Jun 8th, 2000, 11:06 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Cynthia
Repeating the last two e mails, DO NOT
stay in Mestre or etc. Except nothing
less than Venice, affordable accomodatiions exsist, surf to find
them.. Venice especially at night is
very magical, especially the Pza S.
Marco...Richard of La Grange Park, Il..

Jun 8th, 2000, 05:54 PM
cynthia

Thanks EVERYONE. You are the best. Can you suggest a hotel around $30-$40 US. Does double mean a small, single bed or is the charging any different? Or can 2 sleep in a single bed? I know. Dumb question. I have been surfing and found lots in the travel guide. But will have to phone, which is a pain, since they don't have an e-mail address according to lonely planet guide. Found one for $120,000 Lira (Hotel Reiter). I am DEFINITELY staying in VENICE people. I agree with your posts.Oh, I can't wait. We are coming all the way from Trevisio airport. Should be a bus shuttle to Venice and then we take the boats. Any other hints? Thanks elaine for your e-mails. Yipee.