Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me find a Villa in Val D'Orcia this Summer!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are celebrating my wife's very important Birthday this August in Tuscany!

My two sons, their wives and four children ( ages 7, 6, 3 and 6 months) will join us for the first week in August ( 1-8). Our goal is to find a villa in the Montepulciano/Pienza/Montalcino area with 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, swimming pool, AC, and within 20 - 30 minute drive of a town with restaurants. Our sons are really into Brunello wine so any area that would make it more likely to enjoy this wine is important.

Since this will be the first time for the children in Europe/Italy I am also looking for an area that they can enjoy as well.

Thank you!
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 01:04 PM

We loved our stay here http://www.santantonio.it
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 01:12 PM

Hi ALLYBOY,

Try LA FOCE - beautiful with a rich history

http://www.montepulciano.net/la_foce...m#.VQ8v3eE4td0
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 08:41 AM

We've rented 60 gites/villas in France for June & Sept stays. We normally have them reserved about 1 year in advance.

You are trying to find a villa in one of the most popular areas in Europe, and in the most crowded month - which is just 4 1/4 months away. You had better lower your expectations/requirements and book ASAP. We've spent about a month in an apt in the Val d'Orcia - but "in town" - not out in the countryside.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 08:51 AM

Obviously you are moving ahead promptly with your plans and I would not let yourself be affected by other people's anxious approach to Italy based on their experiences in France (?)

The Slow Travel website can be a good resource for villa rentals. Also do searches on booking.com.

It is a great idea to look around the Montalcino area if your group has a serious interest in Brunello. I would also sugget that you consider looking for a group of apartments on a farm (agriturismo) instead of one large villa, especially if you can book an agriturismo that also has a restaurant onsite. But one of the great advantages to adjacent apartments is the guarantee of all the bathrooms you need, plus a bit more privacy for everybody (including nap times for kids or adults as needed, away from noise). Most agriturismi have pools.

I would also suggest to you that when you do searches, look by the number of bathrooms, but also double check to make sure that the bed arrangments are really what you need. Sometimes a villa advertised as "sleeps 10" will be counting sleep sofas or bunk beds that won't work for the number of adults in your party.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 08:57 AM

PS: I just did a quick search on booking.com for 5-bedroom villas near Montalcino for the first week of August and was given a choice of 21 available. And that was just one town in the val d'Orcia, and many villas are not listed on booking.com. So don't feel unduly pressured to make a hasty decision. Italy is not France, and there is a ton of villa rentals in Tuscany, in the prime areas.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the optimism sandralist! Just found out yesterday it was my "job" to find the villa! I will also look into your suggestion of apartments on a farm/agritursimo.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 01:46 PM

We have stayed in two of properties owned by the Moricciani family, but not this one. It does however, look wonderful! We saw it being remodeled when last in Castelmuzio. The activities organized by Isabella are second to none. http://www.casamoricciani.com/index.php/en/the-villa
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 02:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would look for somewhere between Pienza and Montalcino. I like this website for the area around Pienza because it links you directly to the property. You will have to make sure the places are in the area you want as some are towards Montepulciano, etc.

http://www.portalepienza.it/Siti_com...riturismo.html

You can also look at the Montalcino tourism website although it doesn't function the best. It does include web links to the farm houses in the area that have them.

http://www.prolocomontalcino.com/en/...u-3/farm-house

One of the problems you might run into is finding places still available with AC.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 02:26 PM

We stayed here for a week:

http://www.fontebertusi.it/en/apartments/

I highly recommend it. Just outside Pienza. Eight different apartments in the Villa, sleeping from 2-4 in each one. Pool too.

Your family can have a wonderful breakfast in the main dining room before heading off for the day's activities. Best breakfast we had in all of Europe.

Wonderful hosts and great location.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 03:48 PM

i didn't notice you are also looking for air con. You might take a look at Tuscan Dreams villas -- but I would expect the prices to be sky high.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 08:31 PM

This place is magic: http://www.emmavillas.com/en/Casa-An...0fe6bb1922d9a5

I am so jealous!!! It sounds perfect for you and your large group. I actually stayed there two years ago when it was a b&b so as a smaller group in one of its apartments and it was amazing. However they now rent the place out as one and I don't travel with that many people, and wish so much to return!!! It truly is a place of dreams, and within walking distance of Pienza. I would jump at the chance to rent here.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 01:27 AM

There is a place called Agriturismo CRETAIOLE which I believe really will tick all your boxes. It is definitely geared to children and I highly recommend you check out their web site. I have tried several times to stay there but could not, due to various reasons, but the people I e-mailed with back and forth on several occasions, were some of the nicest I have had to deal with. Good luck and have a great vacation!!
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 04:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The last two places being suggested don't seem to have AC.

This place does have AC. I haven't stayed there, but have stayed across the road at a place with a somewhat similar name (no AC there though). This is located between Pienza and San Quirico and has AC listed.

http://www.bonello.eu/ita/home
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanking you all for your wonderful suggestions!

I want you to know that I have checked out each of the properties and unfortunately haven't found a match as yet. It's either already booked, doesn't have the number of bedrooms needed, no on premises swimming pool , no AC or list a bedroom when in fact it is just a sofa bed.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 07:12 AM

There is at least one on Parker Villas that would be large enough, has a pool, A/C. A business associate of mine used it for a retreat. I don't know the exact location, but it's in the general area you're looking at.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

A quick question: Is it better to rent from an agency that lists villas as opposed to the owner?

It seems that most are not listed by owners and the same property can be listed by more than one agency.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 11:53 AM

It makes little difference who you rent from-- agency or owner, but our experience is an agency can add a layer of cost--something you are not able to quibble with much at this late date. As you stated, agencies(Parker) will rename a property different from the owner's name and can cause some confusion when trying to 'vet' the property.

I must say that I'm not surprised at your difficulty in finding a place with your requirements at this late date in spite of some who think there are scads of available properties. You might consider expanding your location to include Chianti. Best of luck.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Success!!!!

I have found a villa through Emma Villas. The location appears to be just where we wanted: 8 km to San Quirico; 11 km to Montalcino; 16 km to Bagno Vigoni; 17 km to Pienza; 30 km to Montepulciano and 38 km to Siena.

We have all our bedrooms/bathrooms/pool in a beautiful country setting.

Thanks and Grazie to all who have helped in this process.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Glad you found something. Now you can relax and enjoy this wonderful weather we're having here in the SF Bay Area (I think you might be from Bay Area).

Do you have my Italy itinerary - with a heavy dosage of Tuscany? We've spent 8 weeks in San Quirico, and I put together several scenic driving and walking itineraries. Also, lots of info about restaurants in the area. I've sent my various itineraries to over 5,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail.

Here is my wife's Shutterfly book. Click "view photo book" and then "full screen"
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...=1EYt2Llw1ZMgm

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -