Help me choose a day trip out of Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending a few days in Edinburgh for the first time and would like to do a day trip (via bus tour) to see some other places in the region. I decided I am not going to do a day trip to Loch Ness since it is too far from Edinburgh and I heard you end up spending 95% of the time on the bus.

I am trying to decide between a few other routes offered by various tour companies. I equally enjoy beatiful scenary and historical sights. Which one of these would make for a more picturesque and memorable trip?

A) Loch Lomond, the Trossachs, Stirling Castle (optional boat cruise, castle tour, some tours also take you through Glasgow)

B) West Highlands Lochs & Castles (Doune, Kilchurn, Inveraray,), Oban village

C) Scotland/England Border area (Northumberland coastline, chance to visit Bamburgh Castle and Alnwick Castle, stops at the Wallace Statue and Scott’s View)

D) Perthshire, chance to visit Blair Castle and Blair Atholl Distillery in Pitlochry
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Tour A is certainly very good. Loch Lomond is very scenic and so are the Trossachs. I expect the tour includes a boat trip on Lake Katrine - do it, first, in order to enjoy the scenery, and second, in order to experience the smooth steamboat ride. Stirling is Scotland's most significant castle, so it is kind of "must".

BTW, you can do the tour easily on your own by hire car.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM

In case this helps:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-edinburgh.cfm

BTW, we decided on A with Rabbie's. We've booked it for mid-June.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Which company is "A"? One includes a trip to Inversnaid on an isolated bit of Loch Lomond. The optional boat cruise is on Loch Lomond - not the steamer on Loch Katrine. That tour includes a stop at Stirling, but entry to the Castle is on your own. So make sure you carefully read the tour description.

"B" makes no sense to me at all - You'd visit Doune (which is great) but miss Stirling which is just up the road. You spend even more time on the coach than on "A" (Oban isn't a "village" - but never mind) My hunch is it says "see" Kilchurn, not "visit". Because the castle is a few hundred yards off the road, I doubt they let a whole coach load of folks loose to walk it since they have to stick to a tight schedule.

"C" is hellacious. Are you sure it says "visit" Bamburgh and Alnwick, and not "see" them. In "tour speak" visit and see are not the same thing. I don't see how one would have time to <u>visit</u> those two castles in a day from edinburgh and be able to include anything else.

"D" probably has the least "coach time".

If forced to choose - I probably take D or A.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM

janij is right - always read the fine print.

For me, it is naturally that you make the ride on SS Sir Walter Scott on Loch Katrine - it is the main attraction in the Trossachs.

Again, we did rent a car - you are faster, more flexible and more individual in a car. And driving is easy in this part of Scotland.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Janisj - many thanks for your advice.

I am aware of the difference between "see" and "visit" in "tour speak". Tour "C" is offered by the Heart of Scotland tours:

http://www.heartofscotlandtours.co.u...?prod=TourNo-5

They do mention "visits" to both Bamburgh and Alnwick (2.5 hrs). (I am aware I would need to pay extra for admission)
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - basically that is a dash to Bamburgh, an hour-ish there w/ an option to visit the castle then essentially the rest of the day at Alnwick.

The Wallace statue is really not anything to write home about - and Kelso is a small town w/ the remains of a small part of the abbey in the center. Scott's View will probably be a 5 or 10 minute stop to look over the valley. The actual "View" is not what Scott saw since the trees have grown/filled in and one really can't see much of the river anymore.

They obviously stuck in the statue/Kelso/Scott's View to pad what it appears the tour offers. If you want to go to N England and visit the two castles (which are great BTW) and drive through a bit of Scotland both ways - then that is what you get. The area around Kelso/Scott's View has so much to see/do (Dryburgh, Melrose, etc etc). In fact you have to drive through Dryburgh to get to the statue. But instead of visiting the amazing Dryburgh Abbey, you get 10 minutes to look at 19th century statue.